Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > I hate public land!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I hate public land!

Went out today for Wis.deer hunting and after I set up my deer blind about an hour later a group of guys walk by with dogs well one of the dog started barking and and almost knocked down my blind! - and other were walking by the field 200 yard out! in the field I was hunting even if there were deer there they wouldnt be after that! people just dont have any RESPECT its all about them and their deer forget you..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I sympathize. But in their defense, maybe you were just well hidden? They might would have acted differently if they knew you were there, although letting them know would kind of defeat the original purpose.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah I was - that not the first time owell I'l try another spot tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Too many morons on public land surrounded by large population centers. Imagine what it would be like if the SHTF!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Finding the right area is key. This will be the first year I'll be hunting in about 10 years or so. The area I'm going is down near Starkville MS and MSU. Pretty sparsely populated, but the population swells during hunting season from out of towners coming in to hunt.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

I do not know how big of an area you are hunting in regarding public land? But one thing I normally did if the area was very big, was to go fairly far back into the area to hunt. Honestly the novice hunter will not go too far back into the woods and usually will always stay within the first 1/2 mile of the property. One might refer to them as lazy hunters but it is a fact. I would go back into the area a minimum of a mile and sometimes more to set up and hunt. This eliminated 95% of the problem. And I seen very few people that were the occasional weekend hunter who had no woods-craft and were noisy. Less chance of getting shot also!!! 03

Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I would say you had a pretty good experience........the last time i was out hunting public land i might as well have been in Afganistan..there would have been less lead flying around me!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I would say you had a pretty good experience........the last time i was out hunting public land i might as well have been in Afganistan..there would have been less lead flying around me!
Short story back in 05 I forgot it was deer season so I went out still hunting squrriels well I guess this deer hunter didnt like it so he fired just at the tree breanches covered with light snow! well it all came down on me!!!

As far as what you told me Sniper03 that area not that big! few fields there and that were all the traffic is! the rest woods - but I know a place that big and spread out I'l try there its a shorter drive for me!.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I know the feeling. I quit hunting because I did not have access to private land and the public land was too dangerous. The last time out I got shot at twice and had to duck behind a tree. I was really getting tempted to shoot back so I stopped hunting. One idiot shot his own horse and it was wearing a blaze orange saddle blanket. Some of the "hunters" were so drunk they could barely walk.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sometime those 'other guys' can stir deer around on public land so you might get a shot too. Public land is 'public', so if I'm hunting there, I have to put up with whoever shows up....just pick a spot where you'd expect spooked deer to go and be ready.