Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > I got a really stupid hunting question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 31 Posts

Default I got a really stupid hunting question.

I got my first kill of squirrel season ever. What am I gonna with the body?

I dug a little 3 foot deep hole to bury it in, just wanna make sure that's appropriate for disposing of it.

Also, eating it is out of the question. I hit it in the gut with a lead hollowpoint.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
I got my first kill of squirrel season ever. What am I gonna with the body?

I dug a little 3 foot deep hole to bury it in, just wanna make sure that's appropriate for disposing of it.

Also, eating it is out of the question. I hit it in the gut with a lead hollowpoint.
Dude gut shot squirrels are still good. And they're so small compared to other animals that they're easy to clean. Rip the skin off, give it a little slice down the middle and shuck the guts. You're golden. Just how many squirrels did you get? your talking like you only got one, and that's not enough for a meal anyway. If you just have to get rid of it, easiest would be to bag it and throw it in the freezer till garbage pick up day, then just drop it in the trash.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

And if your worried about lead, chances are a .22 went straight through and didn't leave any behind.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

when your eating wild animals cook them thoroughly as in well done. never eat wild meat raw rare or medium

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

When it comes to squirrel I have 2 ways. Stew with veggies, and fried. I'll fry em in the morning, use the grease for gravy, and put it on some biscuits.

Here are my homemade biscuits. Go ahead and drool, it's okay.

img_2040.jpg  

Old 09-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Dude gut shot squirrels are still good.
Really? I've always assumed a gut shot would pierce the intestines and stomach and spill all of bile and bacteria and other nasty s*** out and ruin the meat.

I'll keep the dressing and cooking tips in mind after I bag a good bit and am feeling adventurous enough to try it. Today I just got the one. Really, I wasn't even hunting. I was plinking with my pellet gun, took a potshot at a drey, and the thing came crashing down through the trees. Checked out the body and it had an entry wound below the ribs and exited below the spine on the other side.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

tree rats are good!! it's still good to eat I ate a deer that was gut shot!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

Yes it does spill the bile, and bacteria. But this isn't sushi where a single wrong move is gonna drop you dead at the table.

Simply clean it, rinse thoroughly with clean water, and cook it well.

I wouldn't go so far as to make sure it is well done all the way through, unless that's how you like it. For safety that is all well and good, and what I do with food is my risk to take.

I ate an Oreo off the floor about 10 minutes ago. No idea how long it's been there, but it wasn't stale.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #9

Likes Given: 1

I understand people's thoughts on cooking the crap out of something to make sure it is "clean" when it comes to wild animals.

I think of it this way. Would you cook the crap out of a beef steak, just to make sure it is "clean?" Unless you like it that way, probably not. And I don't know about a lot of places, but around here the beef are eating the exact stuff the animals are.

People have a tendency to overcook elk and when that happens, it's instand cardboard. Just a thought I guess.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here's another tip that I learned a long time ago. After you get your squirrel cleaned, look under his front arm pits. You'll see some little glands. Just remove those glands before cooking and you'll notice a real difference in how the squirrel tastes. I learned that from an old timer and it really makes a difference.