Hunting wild turkey
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting wild turkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hunting wild turkey

Maine, and I think New England in general seems to have wild turkeys everywhere now. Just today I had a tom strutting around out back and even jumped up on my deck. I keep thinking, "I love turkey, I wonder what wild turkey tastes like". So I am thinking of taking up wild turkey hunting. We have two seasons in Maine in October and in May.

I read people in other parts of the country using calls, camouflage, and everything and still sometimes go for days without seeing a bird. I think all I would have to do is sit on the back deck with a shotgun and a cold beer and I would eventually see one stroll by.

My question is, are they good eating? This tom today was pretty damn big. So he had a lot to him.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineshooter View Post
Maine, and I think New England in general seems to have wild turkeys everywhere now. Just today I had a tom strutting around out back and even jumped up on my deck. I keep thinking, "I love turkey, I wonder what wild turkey tastes like". So I am thinking of taking up wild turkey hunting. We have two seasons in Maine in October and in May.

I read people in other parts of the country using calls, camouflage, and everything and still sometimes go for days without seeing a bird. I think all I would have to do is sit on the back deck with a shotgun and a cold beer and I would eventually see one stroll by.

My question is, are they good eating? This tom today was pretty damn big. So he had a lot to him.
yes they are good eating. the problem with turkey hunting is that turkeys have excellent eyesight that is even better than an eagles from what i understand.

i have the same issue with deer in my yard. deer season rolls around, there are no deer to be seen! we also have two seasons of turkey hunting here in East Texas. problem is, very, very few wild turkeys. i have only seen maybe two or three in the last ten years where i live.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #3

Liked 287 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I bagged my first turkey this year with my shotgun, scared the hell out of everybody in the frozen food section.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

If you want one to eat shoot a jake. The toms can be tough. Here in NC we have oddles of them. Smoke the breast and make soup out of the rest of the carcass.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8876 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

DO spend some time studying your state game laws before you bag a bird. Like- what is a "bearded" turkey, etc.

Tastes? Pretty darned good. Do not expect the HUGE breast on a Butterball- those poor critters have been bred to produce that huge breast- in the wild, they would not last 10 minutes.

Unlike deer, turkeys DO have color vision, and vision is GOOD. But the decrease in predators has resulted in more turkeys making it to adulthood, and they are plentiful here in central VA.

Of course, Washington DC has more turkeys.............

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1225

One of the best tasting game birds in the field, best deep fried !................

When all else fails.

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineshooter View Post

Yes the are very good eating.

Now if you want to hunt wild turkey, you should go somewhere where there are WILD turkeys. Not a lot of sport in blasting one that's become suburbanized and is used to seeing people. The fun is in fooling a truly wild animal into coming to you.

If you do decide to "hunt" from your porch be sure to check your local laws regarding discharging a firearm near a building, etc.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 560

If the turkeys near the OP have become urbanized shooting a few of them would make the birds wild again. There is nothing like a few turkey casualties to make the birds spooky.

The first couple days of turkey season here the birds walk right out in the open all day long. After a couple days the birds get spooky and hunker down.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #9

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Most folks here in the north east just breast them and toss the rest. Pulling the leg tendons is a b!tch. I dump the drums and slow roast the breast and thighs. The skin on older Toms can be like shoe leather. Cutting out the breast and thighs, cutting those into thin fillets works well.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #10

Liked 927 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Fry the breasts and use the legs and breasts for turkey and dumplings. Of course that is something Yankees haven't a clue about.

USMC 74-78