Hunting in urban area - What's safest

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting in urban area - What's safest

View Poll Results: Which is safest for urban hunting.
Bow 11 84.62%
Shotgun 2 15.38%
Rifle 0 0%
Other (explain) 0 0%
Not safe at all, Iowa must be nuts! 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2224 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Default Hunting in urban area - What's safest

Urban hunting is back in the news this week in our area. We've got a significant deer problem in town. Some of the area cities allow bow hunting along the area recreation trails in the winter when they are not used much. As usual, the annual debate about safety has come up.

If you were hunting deer in an urban or semi-urban area, what would you think would be the safest means?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 07-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Urban hunting is back in the news this week in our area. We've got a significant deer problem in town. Some of the area cities allow bow hunting along the area recreation trails in the winter when they are not used much. As usual, the annual debate about safety has come up.

If you were hunting deer in an urban or semi-urban area, what would you think would be the safest means?
First, I would make sure I had the proper license and permits to hunt in urban areas. Here in the State of Ohio, they issue some Urban Permits, but they are limited and a certain skill set has to be proven. Then, once I knew I was legal, I would bow hunt depending upon the area. Some areas could be large enough to use a 12 ga shotty, if legal. In most urban area, discharging a firearm is illegal.

Several municipalities have hired companies who employ "sharp shooters" in order to cull the deer, and it always creates controversy. The meat goes to local food shelters. Now, near me there is a town that issues several permits to bow hunt. The applicants must prove they are good and safe enough with a bow before they are granted the permit.

What are you looking to do, and how dense is the population? What are your local and state laws regarding your question?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2224 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
What are you looking to do, and how dense is the population? What are your local and state laws regarding your question?
I have no plans of participating; I don't hunt deer. I'm just curious to find out from those with experience, what would you consider a "safe" method of hunting in such an environment.

The metro area is around 350,000.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I have no plans of participating; I don't hunt deer. I'm just curious to find out from those with experience, what would you consider a "safe" method of hunting in such an environment.

The metro area is around 350,000.
Well, I voted, and bow hunting is the safest method bar none. Now, with really experienced hunters and shooters, no shot will be taken deemed unsafe to the population or with no doubt that the deer will drop dead on the spot. That is no matter the method or hunting tool.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've hunted in an urban setting before with archery equipment and handgun. It helps to shoot from an elevated stand as you then have a great backstop and don't have to worry too much about shooting up the neighborhood.

The only problem I see with hunting in an urban setting is the animal must die within forty yards of the stand so you don't have the animal dying in some freak'n anti-hunter's front yard. People in urban settings don't like the deer eating their begonias, but they don't like seeing the deer die either.

Scott, I'm not too far from Iowa so if you need any help thinning the deer herd in your neighborhood, let me know. I could be hired for gas money and a bag of home made cookies.

Just one man's opinion and does not reflect the views of this entire forum. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 07-07-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Safety First!!!!!

High powered rifles are out. So is high powered hand Guns. The bow or Cross Bow is the way to kill in side of urban areas. Just make sure of your target before you shoot. I lost my shooting range because some one moved to close to the area. For the hunt I'd go with the Cross Bow with a scope. Wills in da Swamp

Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 729 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Metro Atlanta allows bow hunting only, and some monsters have been coming out of there in recent years.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Metro Altanta the deer are usually caught in the crossfire from the 'hood. Now, about those ribs on the grill.....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i bow hunt rabbits in my backyard. never went after urban deer but i would saw bow/xbow.