Hunting with target loads - 12 ga? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting with target loads - 12 ga?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

They'll work fine on dove and small game.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow,

thanks for all of the responses! As far as anyone's concerned, I intend to follow the manufacturers directions, although these particular loads don't say anything about not hunting with them, maybe it was another box from a different brand.

In any case, the ones I have currently are regular power 1 1/8 oz shot. As far as I can tell they'd be the same as regular shot, but they are sold as target loads.

Where I am target shot is VASTLY cheaper than hunting shot, so I was thinking that there must be a reason for that. Aside from copper coated shot, or steel shot I can't think of why that is. If there is no real difference for hunting or target shots, then why is it so much cheaper?

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #13

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Shot Weight: 1-1/8 oz and at 1200 FPS they have at least 2 3/4 drams of powder if not 3 drams. That is a full bore low brass hunting load with a target label. True target loads are loaded with 9 shot. Larger shot sizes are to handicap shooters or make the ammo multipurpose. Smaller shot will always have a dense pattern and less deformation.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-14-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting stuff. Thanks, i guess judging from the comment that most "target" loads are just advertising, and can be multi-purpose. Provided that the user reads the label and makes sure of the shot and muzzle velocity to make sure that it's comparable to normal shot, and humane to hunt with.

Does anyone know why target loads are so much cheaper, vs hunting rounds of the same shot size? One would think that they would be more comparable. I keep thinking that there would be some safety issue with the lead, like it's less refined/less food safe.

I get that steel shot for waterfowl hunting would be more expensive as it could be produced in lower quantities.

Any thoughts?

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #15

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Target loads are low brass, and are suited to some upland bird hunting. The issue w/ lead and waterfowl is that birds like Loon actually eat the shot, or fish that have eaten the shot. Here in NH it is steel shot for waterfowl, even if you are miles from a body of water. You can hunt pheasant and geese in the same corn field, but can only shoot pheasant w/ lead. If you shoot a single goose and are even carrying lead your in trouble if the game dept. shows up.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.