Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting with target loads - 12 ga?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hunting with target loads - 12 ga?

Hi everybody!

So, perhaps a dumb question, but I have a bunch of Federal 12 ga #8 target loads, and although I can't find it now for the life of me I swear that when I bought the case that it said "not for hunting" or "for target use only" or something like that.

Is anyone familiar with that, and either way is there a reason that I wouldn't want to hunt with target ammo?

I guess that it being lead shot that there are environmental reasons if I were waterfowl shooting as it would poison the water. (hence why steel shot is sold). Aside from that is the target lead not "food safe" or extra dirty as it is not meant for hunting?

As always I appreciate the responses!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Could be lower powered enough to be inhumane. If the manufacturer says not for hunting then don't use it for that.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

They will still work for close range action on small size game.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Hi everybody!

So, perhaps a dumb question, but I have a bunch of Federal 12 ga #8 target loads, and although I can't find it now for the life of me I swear that when I bought the case that it said "not for hunting" or "for target use only" or something like that.

Is anyone familiar with that, and either way is there a reason that I wouldn't want to hunt with target ammo?

I guess that it being lead shot that there are environmental reasons if I were waterfowl shooting as it would poison the water. (hence why steel shot is sold). Aside from that is the target lead not "food safe" or extra dirty as it is not meant for hunting?

As always I appreciate the responses!
Is it 12 ga 3 drams powder and 1 ounce shot? Small game, dove, squirrel, rabbit, etc. inside 30 yards, likely ok.

I am 51 years old and have eaten game of all types shot with lead all of my life, no adverse effects on health so far. Well maybe those extra helpings of mashed 'taters and gravy were problematic.

Target lead shot is no different than game loads. Some specialty loads may be coated with copper or something, e.g. Federal's turkey loads.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 11-08-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If they are low recoil or handicap loads I wouldn't use them for hunting. The idea is to handicap shooters shooting clay, not to wound animals. Handicap loads are used for competitions to get a winner in a reasonable amount of time. If top shooters were allowed to use 1 1/8 oz loads they would shoot for days before you had a winner.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Liked 1086 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I use these right here all the time on Quail................
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601139664/remington-gun-club-target-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-8-oz-7-1-2-shot

When all else fails.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Perfect for ruffed grouse.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Of course I can always be wrong.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quail and grouse are very easy to kill and shots are almost always close. Low power loads are great.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 521 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

I used my trap and skeet loads for dove.