hunting survival essentials - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > hunting survival essentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97
I am thinkin about what I want in my hunting bag and I thought I'd ask u guys? I'm thinkin of kind of a bug out bag but just for hunting.
I've always based my load out on some variation of the classic "Ten Essentials" list. I know some people tend to dismiss these lists but I think they are a great starting point for putting together a set of gear for getting you through an unexpected stay in the bush.

Currently my favorite variant is this one (http://texas.sierraclub.org/dallas/page.asp?10essentialgroups) which approaches it as ten categories or ten roles you need to address in your kit, rather than ten specific pieces of equipment.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #22

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

With cell service the way it is an old cell phone has more use than one would think. Can be used to dial 911 even without service, battery for firestarting.

I used to hike a lot but can't get too far from the truck anymore. Truck is well prepared when I go for more than day hunt, could live in it if I had to.

Day trips are scheduled and someone always knows where I'm going and when I will call them to check in, if I'm an hour late for a check in someone comes to find me.

I always have a day pack, it has water, snacks, poncho, space blanket, fire starting stuff and a colapsible cane.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Basically you need to carry, at a minimum, what you would need to RON (remain over night) safely in whatever conditions you are hunting/hiking. I usually try to do this times X3 just in case I am injured and I am not able to be mobile enough to walk out.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #24

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
Basically you need to carry, at a minimum, what you would need to RON (remain over night) safely in whatever conditions you are hunting/hiking. I usually try to do this times X3 just in case I am injured and I am not able to be mobile enough to walk out.
That's just about what I was talkin about but i was wondering what SPECificaly you carry and what u would suggest I carry

Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97 View Post
That's just about what I was talkin about but i was wondering what SPECificaly you carry and what u would suggest I carry
Well that would depend on the 'conditions' where I plan to hunt/hike.
But you need at least three ways to start a fire, two good knives, high energy food, water, a signaling device (that is an alternate use of a firearm), and some way to keep sheltered/dry, basic first aid supplies, and you must try to keep as light as possible.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #26

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

as long as I got my rifle, my smokes, and my boots I can usually manage pretty well but like said it's nice to be able to get back to the truck in a emergency.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In my younger day I would hunt elk at or above timber line in CO during late fall and I only had one time I had to RON in a white out, no problem!
Now here in AL I find myself in a shoot house watching a hay field for my winters meat.
I did go elk hunting in CO two years ago and I packed my day pack to handle that environment!