Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting for sport guilt?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oh hunting can totally be fun, depending on your definition. When I'm sitting in a stand and see a rabbit humping the wrong end like his first name is energizer, I always get a giggle!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #42

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
Killing an animal, or harvesting a fish for that matter, isn't synonomous with hunting (or fishing). The act of hunting is a process that involves a series of activities that all cullminate to the end of the actual harvest - and most of the time the harvest is not certain or guaranteed, by any means. And at each point in the process there is joy, fullfillment, satisfaction, appreciation of nature, etc.

In other somewhat trite words, it's a journey - not a destination.

From cleaning that favorite hunting rifle, to hanging your stands, to tending those food plots, monitoring those trail cameras, outfitting your truck to meet your hunting needs, to shopping for camp menus, and countless other related activities, the hunting experience meets different people's needs in different ways. Pulling the trigger may or may not occur, but we do it anyway because it gives us joy and fullfillment.

And I won't even go into the concept of sportsmen being the true conservationists, or the money we contribute to the well-being of the species we pursue....
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
When ever I here the word FUN in hunting in todays society it raises a red flag........Is it just me.......????????..........If you want to have fun, go by the laws in La. and kill all the nutria you can and make five bucks a tail doing it....And you might even get on T.V. doing it........
Are those the overgrow Guinea pigs??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #43

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sport huntin

There is a place fir all of gods lil creatures next to mashed taters an gravy new mexico style add some green chili an wa la I love them animals.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #44

Liked 866 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Being a hunter is who I am. It is a way of life that non-hunters can't understand. I hunt a bunch and have no problem killing anything as long as it is legal to do so.
In the state of Ky. we have a great population of deer and are one of the top states for trophies. We also have TO many deer in some counties and have unlimited doe tags to reduce the herd. My sons and I kill most years between us 20-25 a year. We keep some and donate lots to needy families already butchered up and ready for cooking.
The state also has the largest elk herd east of the Mississippi river by far no one even close. How were the deer, elk, turkey, and other populations restored for the general public enjoyment. Only one way. Through the sale of fishing and hunting license, and tags. NO state money at all. The wildlife of all kinds benifits from us hunters here. So if you enjoy camping, fishing, bird watching or anything in the outdoors I urge you to buy your liscense and help us out.

USMC 74-78

willshoum Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1735 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
+1

Are those the overgrow Guinea pigs??
You ever seed a 40# guinea pig......Eats non stop.......Bring back fur coats........They wiped out the native muskrat.........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #46

I began hunting when I was around 10 years old. I rarely hunt now as I cannot walk very well anymore and I refuse to be a burden to my fellow hunters. Instead, I reload and shoot for tight groups at the local range every Friday morning. I have never felt guilty about any game animal I took, but I have always thought I would not ever want to shoot a bear or an elephant. Why? I can't explain it. I guess because they are so big and live such a long time I just don't see the point being that there are so many other animals to hunt. As far as trophy animals go, I have no interest in that. I once ran a commercial taxidermy studio in Michigan many years ago and have seen and handled so many trophies that I kind of got burned out on them. I gave my antelope head to a local gun shop.
ct

Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #47

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post

You ever seed a 40# guinea pig......Eats non stop.......Bring back fur coats........They wiped out the native muskrat.........
You reckon a nutria would make a decent fur coat?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #48

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
As to deer hunting.

HAPPINESS IS A HUGH GUT PILE!!
What the hell is "hugh"

Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #49
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I would say that 99.99% of the people that hunt for "sport" also eat the meat, is it any different than going to the market, someone had to kill an animal to get the meat you buy at the market. According to you should we only eat road kill and things we find dead because we shouldn't kill animals for food????....... Did you honestly think this was a good thing to post on here???? I'm not trying to be aggressive here, but seriously????

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #50

Obviously there is no denying that I am an animal lover, and as I stated I have no problem with people doing what has to be done to put food on the plate. Maybe my own lack of experience is causing me to put sport hunting on the level as poaching. I think I would personally find sport hunting more agreeable if people used bows and crossbows to do it. I figure if it's going to be a sport, then the animal should have a sporting chance, no? But then at the same time it's probably less humane.

Closed Thread