Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting for sport guilt?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1720 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Hello sweet thang. No it wasn't guilt, but reget and or remorse, My brother hunted one nite and told me of a female rabbit he had killed. upon gutting it she had five little ones inside. he took them out clean them up with moss that was hanging from a tree and put them in a tree stump. yea like they were going to survive. I went and retrieve those little ones and raised them off of a cat that had kittens. The cat licked them like they were her own....I turned them loose when they were old enough to eat grass and be on thier own......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #32

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Not a hunter, just an avid recreational shooter myself.....

but I would like to weigh in by saying that American traditions like hunting even for sport can have a HUGE positive impact on wildlife populations. Species of wild deer, boar, etc can have a devastating impact on our environment if left untouched. Most have no natural predators so yes, hunting is the only way to keep these numbers from exploding exponentially. In many parts of PA where I live, deer have now infiltrated and exploded in numbers in most suburban areas.....they do not belong here and are causing auto related deaths and accidents in record numbers. Seeing deer roving in numbers across people's driveways and business parking lots is disturbing. That also impacts us financially in terms of insurance policies, etc.

Deer hunting is not only an American tradition, its now crucial to controlling its population. My $.02 from a non-hunter perspective

Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #33
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7894

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Hello sweet thang. No it wasn't guilt, but reget and or remorse, My brother hunted one nite and told me of a female rabbit he had killed. upon gutting it she had five little ones inside. he took them out clean them up with moss that was hanging from a tree and put them in a tree stump. yea like they were going to survive. I went and retrieve those little ones and raised them off of a cat that had kittens. The cat licked them like they were her own....I turned them loose when they were old enough to eat grass and be on thier own......
Wow. You're not as big a curmudgeon as I thought.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidKing View Post
I think animals are like us in that they feel fear, and they suffer, and they want to live just as much as any of us do.
Damn man, i sure hope so, and i would like to wish each and every free-ranging bear out there a slow, painful, and regretable death in the very near future.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

NOVA Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Hellter skelter......

Before humans, there was harmony. Nature ran its course. And mother nature will do as she's always done. Start anew....... What will you come back as......The human mind......what a waste.........Gello, bear with me......

Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #36

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Hunting is part of nature, many animals in this world hunt, including humans. Humans have the tools to inflict a kill as quickly and efficiently as possible unlike many wild animals who kill by running down a prey animal to exhaustion and suffocating or bleeding it to death, it is just part of nature, you have to kill it before you grill it. It is also fun, it is a challenge it is camaraderie with family and friends it is tradition, I don't care who hunts for what reason as long as they don't waste their kill. I do however have a slight problem with some of the donation programs in my area, since that started there have been some folks who kill many whitetail and donate them, the cost to clean these deer at processing plants comes from license fees, which continue to rise, processing a deer is quite expensive, around $90 without any fancy stuff added in. These guys will buy their 1 buck tag then buy multiple doe tags and go around killing does until the decide to shoot a buck, these are the same guys who complain about there not being any deer in the woods. I have no problem with harvesting a doe or 2 for feeding the family, I have done it many times when the opportunity for a buck hasn't presented itself and season is drawing close to end, but I wouldn't do it just for the heck of it and donate the meat. If you want a trophy then wait for the trophy, don't kill everything else in the woods while you are waiting for your buck.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1704 Times on 889 Posts
Likes Given: 341

the only thing I feel guilty about is not hunting more than I do....especially with my sons.

We use what we kill. There are even venison food shelf donations that take place in my state (Minnesota), so there is no excuse for wastage. I have no problem with 'trophy' hunters as long as they fill their tags legally.

I don't watch Bambi, helps me avoid internal conflict lol

Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 840 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 80

As to deer hunting.

HAPPINESS IS A HUGH GUT PILE!!

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #39

Liked 248 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter
As to deer hunting.

HAPPINESS IS A HUGH GUT PILE!!
Except this year when the knife slipped and I cut open the stomach, still saved all of the meat though.

I hunt 100% for meat, myself personally would never go sport hunting but I'm not going to stop other people from doing so.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Gut shot........

When ever I here the word FUN in hunting in todays society it raises a red flag........Is it just me.......????????..........If you want to have fun, go by the laws in La. and kill all the nutria you can and make five bucks a tail doing it....And you might even get on T.V. doing it........

Closed Thread