Hunting for sport guilt? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting for sport guilt?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I would really like to see some facts on hunters leaving meat to rot and only taking the heads. The highest level of wild life crime any where in the U.S. is "Wanton Waste" of a game animal.
Trophy hunting is the target of the PETA propaganda mongers. This BS is like gun control people calling any semi auto an assault rifle. Tropy hunters unlike meat hunters often hunt for years and never fire a round. They are more often harvesting the older animals that are past the prime of table food.
They on average contribute more to the game and fish revenues as they seldom use their tags.Trophy only hunting areas charge much higher fees and allow only limited harvest of older animals. In every case in every state all edible meat must be packed out.
As I said if you are spreading the PITA propaganda about hunters leaving meat like the Bison hunters of old provide some facts.
Maybe you misunderstood my post at the point where I said hunters are the biggest block of conservationists? That would mean "demographic block". Meaning, like you said, they contribute more to conservation efforts as a group than all other wannabe environmentalists organizations combined. I would think the context clues where I mention how so many hunters support game laws and appreciate the fact that their hard earned licensing money goes into conservation efforts would have clarified that. Guess not.

Maybe that flavored your opinion on the rest of my post, because if you want to deny that buffalo waste or elephant poaching happened and still happen, I urge you to google it. I never even tried to give the impression that poaching is a widespread epidemic and hunting is bad, only pointed out that such things happen and are deplorable, also mentioning that legal hunting and meat harvesting (for whatever recipient or purpose, so long as it gets used for nourishment), is a pure and noble thing.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Genesis 9:3--Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

This passage alone tells us that it is fine to hunt. Hunting is for both sport and food, it is our instinct to hunt. Food does not fall out of the sky, it has to be harvested. One of mans prime purposes is to hunt and provide, we have been doing it for thousands of years.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1388 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidKing View Post
studies with chimps and found that often times a chimp will turn an upside down turtle back onto it's feet. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but that sounds like an act of mercy to me.

It's also a well-documented fact that chimps will occasionally murder a member of their own group.

PS...I hunt hogs for sport but don't eat them. I give the meat to people who do. And I have nothing against people who hunt just for trophies as long as they obey the hunting laws in their area.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #24

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I did not state any where that the American Bison was not hunted to extinction. Facts are the U.S. Government encouraged this hunting to control the nomadic Indian tribes. The Buffalo hides were needed to supply drive belts for the new factories thru out the world. Mass production of goods would not have taken place without them. The mass production of goods caused a great rise in Urban populations. The millions of tons of buffalo bones was the source of nitrogen fertilizer needed to to feed these people.
Elephants were not under the control of U.S. Fish & Game Depts. at that time. The laws of Africa and India were not under our control. I once again ask you to provide proof of rampant "Wanton Waste" of game animals in the U.S. by Trophy Hunters?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #25

Liked 189 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidKing View Post
Hey everyone. I got to ask of those hunters who hunt purely for the sport of it, do you ever have a sense of remorse or guilt? I'm not talking about people who hunt for food, but those hunters who just go out hunting for the joy of it. There just seems to be something wrong with the idea of killing an animal, not out of necessity, but out of joy. Like bull fighting in Spain. What exactly is enjoyable about killing an animal just because you can? What would be the difference between hunting a deer, and deliberately running over a stray dog with you car just because it was there to be killed. I think animals are like us in that they feel fear, and they suffer, and they want to live just as much as any of us do.
I think you'll find that the vast majority of hunters do not just go out, kill an animal, take the trophy, and leave.

Most hunters will put the meat to good use.

Personally, I take no joy in the killing of the animal when I hunt...I love nature and the outdoors and I understand that I have taken a life. But really, it's out of my respect for nature that I DO hunt. I do not take Does when deer hunting and I do not take noticably young animals either. I'm out there with family and friends to enjoy the outdoors, and maybe get some good, HEALTHY food out of it.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default The killing fields.......

Regrets, some, guilt no......As to the other question that doesn't apply to hunting. I had a mix breed shepard and coyote that loved to play with the kids in the neighbor hood......My friend watched as some one went off the road in a truck and ran him over, killing him.......I was leaving work at 4 am and saw this happen to a sheppard sleeping on the road, the guy made three turn arounds, each time running over the dog......In the last 50 years i've seen more and more wanten waste of our wildlife....The regrets I talk of is when I killed rabbits for food and sometimes they were females with a belly full of young......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #27

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
I did not state any where that the American Bison was not hunted to extinction. Facts are the U.S. Government encouraged this hunting to control the nomadic Indian tribes. The Buffalo hides were needed to supply drive belts for the new factories thru out the world. Mass production of goods would not have taken place without them. The mass production of goods caused a great rise in Urban populations. The millions of tons of buffalo bones was the source of nitrogen fertilizer needed to to feed these people.
Elephants were not under the control of U.S. Fish & Game Depts. at that time. The laws of Africa and India were not under our control. I once again ask you to provide proof of rampant "Wanton Waste" of game animals in the U.S. by Trophy Hunters?
I'm going to assume you're arguing with me since it seems I'm the only one who mentioned buffaloes and elephants.

If that's the case, I recommend you go back and read my post.

You can stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Quote:
I would really like to see some facts on hunters leaving meat to rot and only taking the heads. The highest level of wild life crime any where in the U.S. is "Wanton Waste" of a game animal.
Trophy hunting is the target of the PETA propaganda mongers. This BS is like gun control people calling any semi auto an assault rifle. Tropy hunters unlike meat hunters often hunt for years and never fire a round. They are more often harvesting the older animals that are past the prime of table food.
They on average contribute more to the game and fish revenues as they seldom use their tags.Trophy only hunting areas charge much higher fees and allow only limited harvest of older animals. In every case in every state all edible meat must be packed out.
As I said if you are spreading the PITA propaganda about hunters leaving meat like the Bison hunters of old provide some facts.
You first, who et all that bison meat when they were shot for hides only. Remember, there was no refridgeration, and yes they did feed the workers on the railroad. 60 million bison were wasted because of greed and stupidity.....I worked with a man that hunted up north, those guys would only take the backstrap and leave the rest of the deer for the coyotes and buzzards....The guy I worked with eventually started bringing home all that wasted deer......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7643 Times on 4592 Posts
Likes Given: 9553

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
..The regrets I talk of is when I killed rabbits for food and sometimes they were females with a belly full of young......
You didn't know it was a pregnant doe. And rabbits ovulate upon mating so a female rabbit is pregnant almost all the time when not nursing young. I love animals but I would not feel guilty about shooting and eating a pregnant rabbit. In reality, all those little bunnies rarely make it to adulthood even if left to be born. Eat on, Wills, eat on.
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #30

Liked 394 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 31

One only has to look at game management in Africa.If it weren't for hunting and a monetary value put on such things as elephants then a lot of game animals would've disappeared long ago from poaching except that hunting is now bringing money into poor areas and the meat from a trophy animal is distributed to the local villages so nothing is wasted thereby making it in the interests of the locals to help preserve game species for their's and the animals preservation.

If we really want to go down the path of the anti's and vege mauler's arguments that all animals feel pain and we should really only eat plants scientists have proven that plants "feel" pain as well so going on that premise we humans would be better chewing on fresh air and it's happy days for everything and everybody.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Closed Thread