Hunting for sport guilt? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting for sport guilt?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 418 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 31

This is a subject that like "which is the best varmint rifle,calibre,brand gun etc" that will on it's day start a fight in pub no worries at all.
The Aussie hunting forum I'm a member of have had this type of discussion quite a few times and it's something that is definately emotive.

Monkeys and possibly Dolphins would probably go close to "feeling" pain but until we all turn into Dr Dolittles that is going to be a moot point.

For me I have no worries about shooting most animals whether it be for tucker or for feral pest destruction and where possible will utilise what I've shot either as food or for skins.

Now I've also sat and watched pigs,goats,feral cats,foxes,rabbits and a few other animals in their natural habitat feeding,hunting or just playing around and really it's a great feeling to be just out in the bush enjoying the freedom of the bush and even better if you've got your son or daughter with you and you showing them the facts of life in the wild.

Hunters are more in touch with animals than the PETA,Animal Lib clowns because we regularly have the last say on whether an animal lives or dies and the majority of us can't and won't stand for cruelty to any animal and will do our utmost to drop an animal on the spot or put an animal out of it's misery to the best of our ability sort of an unwritten code of the hunter.

To put human type emotions on animals is the work of the tree huggers and Bambi Brigade and Walt Disney has a lot to answer to in my opinion by giving animals human emotions in his/their movies as it's all about putting animals on a human level by claiming this sort of rubbish.

Just look at the new money spinner by animal libbers by engaging lawyers to "speak" on behalf of animals in court for cases of cruelty,biggest pack of lies and corruption ever but if there's money to be made and headlines then that's where you'll find the lawyers and tree huggers,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3181 Times on 1833 Posts
Likes Given: 2055

I see no need to fight over these questions.

The reasons that I enjoy hunting are many and varied; from time in God's great outdoors, to quality time spent with friends, to the bonus of excellent fare from the creatures I am blessed to harvest.

I quit hunting for a very short time about 30 years ago, after putting a spine shot on a deer and watching it thrash in agony. I chose to slit it's throat and hold it's head back until it ceased breathing. I was somewhat tramatic for me, I was in my early 20s at the time and I didn't hunt at all for the next 2 years.

After reflection on whether I could hunt and kill again, I realized that if I was going to enjoy the flesh of other creatures, I was going to accept the responsibility of the taking of the life that rendered it. I never want to think that the nutrition and flavor I enjoy so much is derived in some simple, easy, antiseptic way. Meat and fish do not start out cello wrapped in the butcher's case.

Life is precious to each and every one of us. We should understand that there is sacrifice to be made to maintain it.
Hopefully, there will always be those ready, willing and able to do the dirty work necessary for the maintanence of society.

BTW, I've never heard anyone ask those that eat meat, yet refuse to kill it, about their refusal!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Discounting poaching, even sport hunting when it comes to wildlife generates massive ammount of money that goes to helping promote the hunt species. Look at the elk moose bear whitetail or any other species that was approaching extinction. Sport hunting does more and generates more to promote wildlife growth than all the animal rights groups combined.

Want to save the california condor harp seal polar bear etc?? open them up to hunting. Hunters and trophy hunters study actual animal habit and construct envirinments to promote the species they hunt.

Hunters dont just talk about saving the critter they actually do something about it.

100+ years ago people harvested wild life for food today hunting is about preserving wildlife in order to generate healthy trophy animals.

Outlaw hunting and you will see poaching without control become the norm and populations of species crash.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Killing an animal, or harvesting a fish for that matter, isn't synonomous with hunting (or fishing). The act of hunting is a process that involves a series of activities that all cullminate to the end of the actual harvest - and most of the time the harvest is not certain or guaranteed, by any means. And at each point in the process there is joy, fullfillment, satisfaction, appreciation of nature, etc.

In other somewhat trite words, it's a journey - not a destination.

From cleaning that favorite hunting rifle, to hanging your stands, to tending those food plots, monitoring those trail cameras, outfitting your truck to meet your hunting needs, to shopping for camp menus, and countless other related activities, the hunting experience meets different people's needs in different ways. Pulling the trigger may or may not occur, but we do it anyway because it gives us joy and fullfillment.

And I won't even go into the concept of sportsmen being the true conservationists, or the money we contribute to the well-being of the species we pursue....

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #15

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I hunt purely for the enjoyment of it.

The delicious meat is an award from it.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #16

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This thread reminds me I need to renew my hunting/fishing license.
Turkey seasons not too far away. And yes, if I kill one I'm gonna eat it.
Most of the critters I shoot are a threat to my pets and chickens, such as
coyotes, raccoons, stray dogs, etc.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #17

Liked 166 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Personally I would not hunt unless I intended to use as much of the animal as possible, with the exception of nuisance animals.

I know a lot of people that do hunt and none of them do it just for fun. They hunt hogs and deer for the meat.

Having said that, as long as they kill the animal as cleanly as possible, I would not have a problem with someone hunting just for the fun of it.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #18

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm gonna throw my $.2 in.

To hunt for food, or to supplement your food and income (by saving the money that would be spent at the grocery store), is a (fairly) pure and noble act. This goes to man's nature in providing sustenance for self and family. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. And, as others have mentioned, with the regulations placed on hunting these days, hunters, the killers of animals of all types, are the BIGGEST block of conservation activists there is. Many game laws, although certainly not all, and possibly not even most, are supported by hunters country wide. The vast majority have the sense to know that if some things are unregulated, then some of the biggest game animals will be hunted to scarcity. No hunter wants that, and many of them seem happy to know that their money spent on such things as hunting licenses are going into conservation efforts, mostly. I say it's a (fairly) pure and noble act, only because some people hunt protected species or out of season. This goes against the grain of doing it in the regulated manner, and protecting wild game for future hunting. If you pay attention, many state's departments of wildlife and fisheries are very attentive to populations of game fish and animals, and regularly change the rules of hunting to reflect the (sometimes) over population of certain sizes and genders of game.

To hunt for a trophy or for a profit is a sickening murder in my opinion. I see nothing wrong with making a trophy of a food kill, or even donating the kill to a need, such as a homeless shelter, boarding school for troubled youths, or even just a down and out widow, and then keeping nothing but a trophy for yourself. But, let's face it, there are some people who travel the world collecting heads. Many of these people donate their kill meat to a local village, or give it to their hired guides to disseminate as they see fit. This is fine, IMO. But, the truth is, there are people out there who go hunting, collect the pelt or head, tusk or horn of the animal killed, and go home, leaving the carcass to rot and go to waste. Example: elephant poaching for ivory, same with rhinos, and the American Bison for their coats.

Nuisance animals are another story. They regularly cause property damage, and negate conservation efforts. Killing them, to me, is no different than protecting your home, loved ones, and property from a criminal. But they certainly have their place in the natural ecosystem, and do NOT always need to be hunted to extinction.

As with many things, it's not so much the act itself that is good or bad, but the reasoning behind it, and moral obligations that are taken or not.

Last edited by trip286; 02-25-2013 at 02:30 PM.
willshoum Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #19

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Where I live in Idaho hunting is more business then anything else. We need hunters to come and put money into the economy. The fish and game helicopters just flew by last week doing the winter counts that will set the hunt numbers for this fall. If the numbers are low then less permits are issued. Wild animals are harvested just like wheat or corn and man decides everything. It is not that big of a deal and it will go on for a long time here. The only real sport hunting I see is with the predators because a lot of them are unrestricted. Which means all kinds of methods are used like electric calls, night vision- you just can't shoot enough coyotes so it turns into "what next". I am waiting for someone to tell me they blew one up.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #20

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I would really like to see some facts on hunters leaving meat to rot and only taking the heads. The highest level of wild life crime any where in the U.S. is "Wanton Waste" of a game animal.
Trophy hunting is the target of the PETA propaganda mongers. This BS is like gun control people calling any semi auto an assault rifle. Tropy hunters unlike meat hunters often hunt for years and never fire a round. They are more often harvesting the older animals that are past the prime of table food.
They on average contribute more to the game and fish revenues as they seldom use their tags.Trophy only hunting areas charge much higher fees and allow only limited harvest of older animals. In every case in every state all edible meat must be packed out.
As I said if you are spreading the PITA propaganda about hunters leaving meat like the Bison hunters of old provide some facts.