Hunting for sport guilt?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting for sport guilt?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hunting for sport guilt?

Hey everyone. I got to ask of those hunters who hunt purely for the sport of it, do you ever have a sense of remorse or guilt? I'm not talking about people who hunt for food, but those hunters who just go out hunting for the joy of it. There just seems to be something wrong with the idea of killing an animal, not out of necessity, but out of joy. Like bull fighting in Spain. What exactly is enjoyable about killing an animal just because you can? What would be the difference between hunting a deer, and deliberately running over a stray dog with you car just because it was there to be killed. I think animals are like us in that they feel fear, and they suffer, and they want to live just as much as any of us do.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7783 Times on 4671 Posts
Likes Given: 9760

I'll be watching this thread closely.

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Hey Druidking, are you here to start a fight or what?

There are many people who hunt for the sport of it. I am one of them. I would not waste the meat. I would either eat it myself or donate it to someone in need. But lets face it, it is much easier to go to the grocery store. I hunt for the opportunity to be out in the woods with my son and our friends.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Hey Druidking, are you here to start a fight or what?
There will be no fight. At the first sign of a fight this thread is closed.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Quote:
I'll be watching this thread closely.
Times 2. While we generally have no qualms about speaking your mind, we do not permit trolls. If you do not understand the term, send any of the Mods a PM asking for explanation.

To attempt to give you a personal answer- I hunt. I eat what I hunt, with the exception of nuisance/ pest animals. Example- my lady has multiple wild bird feeders. I do not take a 12 g and go blast away at songbirds. I will even ignore the two squirrels that hang out in the back yard, and mooch sunflower seed- they are fairly well mannered.

However, the raccoons are another matter. Get a clean shot at one, he is on his way to becoming Davy Crockett's hat. They not only destroy bird feeders and bird houses, but will try to fish eggs or baby birds out of the nest.

I tolerate blue jays, like bluebirds, and will cap a crow in a blink. Ground hogs/ prairie dogs/ coyotes- destructive as hell- and fair game. Guilt? No.

Please do not ascribe human values or emotion to animals. False and rather silly.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hunting is a tradition. My parents did not pass that tradition along. I would like very much to go hunting again as it has been decades since I hunted squirrels with my boyhood friend in the woods next to his house. Hunting is expensive and not everyone has the opportunity or knows where they can go to hunt. I just bought a nice deer rifle, knowing I may never get a chance to shoot a deer with it. If I ever do go hunting ( I have some relatives who might invite me one day) I will consider it an honor and a privelige. And if I learn to track, shoot, kill and skin a deer, I will have learned skills that I may never need to use, but its good to know I can do it if I have to.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #7

I'm not trolling. I think it is a perfectly legit question and I think I made perfectly legit points. As I said, hunting for food is one thing. Hunting for sport is another. And all I asked was does anyone who hunts for sport ever feel guilty for killing an animal unnecessarily? Saying I'm trolling just because of that would be like one of those anti gun liberals saying you were trolling them for asking what they planned to do if 3 armed men broke into their home and attacked their wife and daughters.

I get it that hunting is a great bonding experience. It helps bring you closer to your friends and family. And maybe it gives you a deeper appreciation of nature, I don't know. But if that's what it is about, wouldn't camping suffice?

I have to concede I didn't think of pest animals when I started this thread. They can be problematic and destructive, so I can see a potential necessity for dealing with them in a most terminal fashion.

But I have to say I disagree agree with your statement about ascribing human values and emotions to animals being silly. While yes it is true that animals certainly don't think in the complex manners that humans do, they certainly are not emotionless or (I don't think) soulless. I do believe animals (especially domesticated animals like dogs) have a sense of human values. They demonstrate loyalty, compassion, friendship, as well as fear and anger and sadness. And wild animals also to a more limited extent. A while ago I remember reading an article where they did studies with chimps and found that often times a chimp will turn an upside down turtle back onto it's feet. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but that sounds like an act of mercy to me. There are recorded cases of dolphins bringing people lost at sea back to shore. These don't sound like mindless, emotionless creatures with out any sense of values to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the PETA bandwagon. I could happily eat steak for dinner for the rest of my life. Does that make me a hypocrite? I don't think so, I'm not slaughtering the cows for the joy of slaughtering. But at the same time is it not also true that you can tell a lot about a person based on how treats something that he doesn't have to treat kindly?

Am I really the only gun lover who has this line of thought? Something tells me I am going to be in the strict minority in this particular thread...

Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #8

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Sport of hunting can be for harvesting food or controlling wild life. Because man has intervened in to nature and protects animals from disease starvation etc. We must cull herds by age and or sex. The Sport of hunting is used to preserve the health of these herds. In the case of large meat eating animals lions, bears, wolves etc. which are often not consumed in our society the meat is left for other animals to consume. It is rarely wasted in nature.
The Sport of Hunting is used to protect people pets and domesticated animals and property. The act of simply killing animals is in no way related to the Sport of Hunting.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidKing View Post
And all I asked was does anyone who hunts for sport ever feel guilty for killing an animal unnecessarily?
I would think if those who trophy hunt for sport felt guilty about it, they wouldn't do it.

Quote:
I get it that hunting is a great bonding experience. It helps bring you closer to your friends and family. And maybe it gives you a deeper appreciation of nature, I don't know. But if that's what it is about, wouldn't camping suffice?
I have never hunted but I think appreciating nature through hunting is very different than just camping. To hunt, you must match wits with your prey in their environment. You have to know the lay of the land and the habits of the animal you hunt. I've noticed many hunters plan their hunt all year by setting trail cameras and observing the habits of the animal they will be hunting when it is hunting season. You must be attuned to all that's around you and use many different skills not needed in camping. I think hunting is a very complex sport that takes great knowledge and skill to be good at it.

Quote:
But I have to say I disagree agree with your statement about ascribing human values and emotions to animals being silly. While yes it is true that animals certainly don't think in the complex manners that humans do, they certainly are not emotionless or (I don't think) soulless. I do believe animals (especially domesticated animals like dogs) have a sense of human values. They demonstrate loyalty, compassion, friendship, as well as fear and anger and sadness. And wild animals also to a more limited extent. A while ago I remember reading an article where they did studies with chimps and found that often times a chimp will turn an upside down turtle back onto it's feet. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but that sounds like an act of mercy to me. There are recorded cases of dolphins bringing people lost at sea back to shore. These don't sound like mindless, emotionless creatures with out any sense of values to me.

But at the same time is it not also true that you can tell a lot about a person based on how treats something that he doesn't have to treat kindly?

Am I really the only gun lover who has this line of thought? Something tells me I am going to be in the strict minority in this particular thread...
I, too, am an avid animal lover. I have always had a soft spot for animals and am very compassionate when it comes to critters. I would never abuse an animal but I think I could hunt if I knew I was a great shot. But I'm not. I would love to fill my freezer with hog meat. Hunting is not the same as abusing an animal. Almost all hunters I know want a clean kill and feel bad if that doesn't happen. Almost all track a wounded animal to find it and end it's suffering. Most hunters I know eat what they kill. Why should they feel any guilt?

You are on a gun forum. People here hunt. They hunt legally and ethically.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-25-2013 at 07:50 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i use to hunt many years ago. the reasons i don't anymore is simply because i just don't have the time to devote to it like i would need to.

hunting is a tradition. it's about providing food or needed neccesities for the household. the American Indians when they hunted wasted nothing of their kills. hunting is conservation of the species that are hunted.

hunting provides revenue that supports conservation of the habitat and wildlife. hunting also keeps the game species in balance.

not feeling guilty about hunting has to do with morals and ethics. the way i was brought up, if you killed it, we ate it. we did hunt for sport, but we never took shots that could just injure and animal and we ate what we killed. we learned to respect our prey and to never shoot anything just to kill it. even a nuisance animal deserved a clean kill.

i love animals and wildlife, and always have. i still use to hunt though. i have three coons that eat every night with the cats on the back porch. they get along and cause no problems, so i would never kill them. no reason and would serve no purpose other than to just kill something.

i know of several hunters who do hunt for trophies, but donate the meat to shelters. personally i see nothing wrong with this. it's provides a service and they get a trophy.

Closed Thread