Hunting with SKS or AK47 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting with SKS or AK47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The Milsurp rifles have the .311 bore dia. The Ruger Mini-30 is .308. Either one will work, but accuracy will suffer with a gun whose bore is .311. I never put a micrometer to Wolf ammo, but if it's .308 that would explain the poor accuracy I get using it. If I was going to reload for my SKS I'd buy .311 bullets.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #22

Personally, I wouldn't swap any decent lever action Winchester 30-30, or 35 Remington for a crappy SKS. Hollow point 7.62 x 39mm ammo is problematic, and only marginally accurate. Besides, have you ever tried to scope an SKS? (That should have cured you, right there!)

I've owned customized and glass-bedded, SKS rebuilds. Even with the best of ammo accuracy was, still, no better than 2" at 100 meters.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It seems we may be comparing shooting to hunting. I have many rifles at my disposal. I have many deer at my disposal. I do not have to take shots at the predisposed distance of 100 yards. I can take shots at 75 yards, 50 yards, even 25 yards... I do it regularly with my bow.

I won't continue to extoll the virtues of the SKS or the ammuition readily available for it. I have stated that I have not tried it. I have seen the results of the bullet I discribed on a whitetail, if you are unfamiliar with this particular bullet you might reserve judgment until you have tried it... that's what I'm doing also.

This is a project. You need not be enthusiastic. The meat will be the sweeter for the adversity.

I have been an avid hunter, shooter and gunsmith for many years. I am aware of bore and groove diameters. I am aware of bullet construction and design. I have studied ballistics for many years. I have worked deer damage with everything from a .22 using CB shorts to .30-06. I don't intend to make the SKS my preferred hunting rifle, but if it continues to prove itself on the range, then I have NO qualms in it's ability to humanely (or as humanely as it is possible to take the life of an animal) to take white tail deer at moderate ranges.

The rifle in question is not scoped, nor will it be. I can shoot 5 shot groups of under 1 inch at 50 yards now... with Wolf, 122 grain, .308 diameter hollow points. If I can load the Sierra 125 grain hollow point #2020 to that accuracy or better, I'll put the SKS up against any archer in the country in real world hunting situations. Any takers?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've yet to take my SKS hunting, but I wouldn't hesitate to. Problem is it holds 10 rds. and legally in NY you can only have a 5 rd. mag. Of course with a crop damage permit that doesn't matter. But in NY we are not allowed to process a deer taken on a crop damage permit. Stupidity! In my neck of the woods, shots are usually under 100yds. I also bow hunt so I take pride in getting closer to deer than the average gun hunter, and so I feel comfortable with just about any gun. My SKS is only capable of about 2-3" at 100yds.. at 50 yds. I feel confident in making a head shot with it. I wasted $60 trying to accurize it by purchasing the advertised "Tech Sight" aperature sight. It is about as useful as a scope mount. Anything that mounts to the bolt cover will be inaccurate after you clean the gun, because to clean the gun the bolt cover must be removed, and nothing mounted to it will return to zero. Since I don't consider the SKS to be a target rifle I have not tried reloading in that caliber, but if my gun shot consistent 2" groups at 100 yds I would definately be curious enough to try .311 bullets to shrink those groups even further.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Excellent observations! I want the challenge of taking a deer with my SKS. I want give myself, and my equipment the best odds that I possibly can. If the .308 bullets do not give me the groups I require at 50 to 100 yards, I'll definately look into bullets of the proper diameter for the cartridge (.311).

I'm pretty sure that one more visit to the trigger will give me a tighter group than I'm getting now. I've stoned it smooth, but the sear spring may need to come down in compression another pound or two.

For now, I'm having a hoot trying different ammo and sight pictures with the military sight. I take the gun each trip to the range and shoot a little. Familiarity goes a long way in the efficiency with which anyone handles a given firearm.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rum View Post
Excellent observations! I want the challenge of taking a deer with my SKS. I want give myself, and my equipment the best odds that I possibly can. If the .308 bullets do not give me the groups I require at 50 to 100 yards, I'll definately look into bullets of the proper diameter for the cartridge (.311).

I'm pretty sure that one more visit to the trigger will give me a tighter group than I'm getting now. I've stoned it smooth, but the sear spring may need to come down in compression another pound or two.

For now, I'm having a hoot trying different ammo and sight pictures with the military sight. I take the gun each trip to the range and shoot a little. Familiarity goes a long way in the efficiency with which anyone handles a given firearm.
They are a lot of fun. I use the Wolf FMJ's to perforate my burn barrel and blow up rocks...I'd like to rework my trigger also but I've never done it before and am afraid I'll screw it up! I am putting a Williams aperature sight on in place of the rear sight. The Tech Sights aperature I bought was a waste of money - the only good thing about it is that it came with a very thin front post.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are very good instructions online for slicking up the SKS trigger. Best tool I've found is patience. On triggers such as these that don't have built in adjustments, you must stone the bearing surfaces of the sear. The contact edges must me kept square and not rounded over. I never cut the springs that come with ANY gun. I have a supply of Brownells' spring stock and cut and fit springs to the proper dimension. A lighter spring makes for a lighter weight of pull... but... the safety must still work and if changing the main spring, the hammer must fall hard enough to detonate the primer.

There are also several smiths that will hone your trigger and replace the springs. I would get references before letting someone tinker with my rifles 'innards'.

OH, BTW... I just got my SKS/AK front sight adjustment tool in the mail... the front sight on the Yugo is much to thick to fit into the slot

Simple job to cut one out of pin stock, but I've gotten lazy in my elder years, $10.00 was not a bad price... oh well, I can still use the pusher if I need windage adjustments.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
There are very good instructions online for slicking up the SKS trigger. Best tool I've found is patience. On triggers such as these that don't have built in adjustments, you must stone the bearing surfaces of the sear. The contact edges must me kept square and not rounded over. I never cut the springs that come with ANY gun. I have a supply of Brownells' spring stock and cut and fit springs to the proper dimension. A lighter spring makes for a lighter weight of pull... but... the safety must still work and if changing the main spring, the hammer must fall hard enough to detonate the primer.

There are also several smiths that will hone your trigger and replace the springs. I would get references before letting someone tinker with my rifles 'innards'.

OH, BTW... I just got my SKS/AK front sight adjustment tool in the mail... the front sight on the Yugo is much to thick to fit into the slot

Simple job to cut one out of pin stock, but I've gotten lazy in my elder years, $10.00 was not a bad price... oh well, I can still use the pusher if I need windage adjustments.

Thanks for the trigger info - maybe I will try my hand at stoning & polishing. I had to make a sight adjustment tool for mine out of aluminum dowel and a band saw to hog out the center of the dowel. The original post WAS very large but with the new thinner post that came with my Tech Sights the tool I bought from CDNN Sports works like a charm. I believe Cheaper than Dirt sells replacement front post sights which are smaller dia. That's a real cheap way to increase accuracy!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great ! Thanks for the scoop on the thinner replacement front sight. The original covers a bunch. A thinner front sight post would definately aid in aiming. I think that alone would tighten my group size some. I'll check out site you mentioned.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Great ! Thanks for the scoop on the thinner replacement front sight. The original covers a bunch. A thinner front sight post would definately aid in aiming. I think that alone would tighten my group size some. I'll check out site you mentioned.
If Cheaper than Dirt doesn't have them Brownells will!