Hunting rifle for daughter - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting rifle for daughter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If she took an animal with a thudy thudy then why not stick with it. They have taken many animals and having a shorter kill range will make her more bush wise.
As she grows she can always sell it or trade it for a larger cal.
The worst thing you could do is make her gun shy.
If you go with a lever try and find one that is a hammerless like the Good ol' Savage 99's as she may see the hammer strike and begin to pull her shots.

Good to see the young girls getin er dun.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

with the new leverelution (spelling) from hornaly you can reach out to 200 yards with a 30-30 nowdays, I have taken many deer with it and never lost one due to it running off and having to track it

Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #13

I just bought a ruger model 77 markII in 30-06 and I am happy with it.

BeNeLlI29

Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #14

i have a winchester model 94 (NRA centennial edition) and it is an excellent gun that i would put any youngster behind. (with plenty of training and practice of course) i took a doe with it this season at 85 yards and open sights. it is a light well balanced gun with minimal recoil. i say let her use it.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 AM   #15

Default 30/30 Awsome

I have a 16 year old son that doesn't like the 30/30 because it has too much recoil. Your 100 lb. daughter is to be praised. I shot my first 3 deer and a coyote with the Marlin Leaveraction of my dad's. Great gun!!! Got my Son a Remington BDL in .243 and he likes it a bunch and has shot 2 does with it.
.243 reaches out a little farther than the 30/30 but in your 100 yard woods the 30/30 will be great and if she already has confidence in it, she'll do great!
Kudos to your daughter!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappie5 View Post
My daughter has been going "out with the boys" every Thanksgiving for the last 3 years. We thought it would wear off, but it didn't. She got her first deer this year using her cousin's 30/30 I don't know what (but not lever action.) She helped gut the doe and really has buck fever now.

She's serious, so time to stop borrowing guns and get her one of her own. Free is an awesome way to go and a guy from our church heard about this and gave us his old (like maybe 40 - 50 years old) Marlin lever action 30/30. I don't know the model number. All I find on it it is "Marlin Firearms Company Model 30/30".

Gun is in great shape, but her uncle who takes her hunting has warned me that lever-actions are "dangerous" and he is worried about safety issues due to the age of the gun (i.e. built in safties on the gun, not reliability issues for a well-cared for rifle.) On the other hand another cousin would never hunt whitetail in Virginia with anything other than his lever action 30/30 - he says it's the best deer rifle around, but might not be a good first rifle.

I know I will get as many different opinions as there are people who read this, but I have 2 questions. Are there any safety retrofits for old lever action rifles, and what would be a good rifle for the average less than 100 pound gymnast who also loves to hunt. (I think she really enjoyed telling the high school gymnastics team on Friday afternoon, "Guess what I did this morning? I shot my first deer!"

She's hunting whitetail deer in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Terrain she's in ranges from wooded to open, but probably not much over 100 yards. Tree stands are available, but she has been limited to the ground, and I doubt if the older guys are going to give up a stand for her - hunting from ground level is a real safe bet. Any other specifics you need to know?

Thanks a heap

nappie5
(I plink with a 22 bolt action and used to be a fair shot with an M16, but don't do any hunting myself.)

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 01-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #16

I'm another guy who fondly remembers the lever-action 30-30 that was my first rifle (still have it... was part of my 13th birthday present.. but even at 13 I was a bit more stout than 100lbs)

Other than yet another "just use the 30-30" response though, I do have one other suggestion; a shotgun.

you can get a short stocked 20ga and find more types of loads than you might imagine. from short shells with #4 buck (managable recoil) to longer "hot" loads with 000 (which will take any game you can find within 100 miles of NoVa). you could even load slugs if you want to reach out and try some long(er) range shots. That gun would grow with her for quite a while.

As I mentioned... I've got nothing bad to say about the gun she already has. But if you are looking for alternatives... If versitility is a concern, it's hart to beat a shotgun.

And to be truthfull, my 13th birthday present wasn't just the 30-30... It was a nice wooden case with a winchester model 94 AND a 20 gague shotgun. I COULD have gone my whole life and never bought another rifle...

Getting her a 243 would be a bit of duplication if you already have a 30-30. Adding a shotgun would open up -more than one- whole new world.

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Last edited by Fozzy_Bear; 01-30-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #17

For a girl, a .270 would work wonders with good shot placement. A good recoil pad and she'd be fine.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Handi Rifle can be had in .30-30 too. And with the new Hornady ammo, it should perform great. BTW, the shotgun idea previously posted is not a great idea for deer. I have to hunt with a shotgun, living in Illinois, and my H&R 20 Ga. Ultra slug kicks harder than my .30-06.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #19

Actually,
I specifically mentioned using #4 buck shot... not a slug (for that very reason)

Not that it matters... The Originial Poster hasn't been on the board since December 12th.

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #20

I would think that any lightweight gun like the ones mentioned would work fine if fitted propery. The key is to practice, and get familiar with the gun. With the new low recoil-ammo, several great cartridges are available. I got my daughter a Mini-14, the recoil is nil, the ammo is cheap, and the safety is positive(garand type) I got some decent ammo-bear claw, which should work fine for deer within 100 yards. Plus its a great varmit gun.