Hunting rats
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting rats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Hunting rats

I know it is hard to classify pest control on this leve "Hunting", but here goes. The last two (2) winters we have had a problem with rats. Our cats died/ran off three years ago. They kept the rat population at bay. They have been getting into the attic and between the ceiling of the first floor and the floor of the upstairs.

Their scurrying is quite unnerving at times. I tried bait (dead rats stink) and traps (not very successful). They have chewed up ammo boxes and camping supplies in the shop and left a mess all over the garage.

Last year, the mild winter allowed me to stake out the back porch and plink at them with a pellet gun. They would use the incoming cable TV/Phone lines as an aereal highway. My brother inlaw tagged one off the wire and I got one off the privacy fence. 5 pumps from a cheapo Crossman pellet gun is lethal.

A while back, my son spotted one in the garage so I staged the loaded pellet gun just inside the garage. The other day, I stepped into the garage from the house and a rat was scrambling along the garage door track. I grabbed up the trusty crossman and took aim at the critter as it traversed the top of the garage door. It was moving pretty fast so I used my wing shooting skills and tracked through the rat to lead it slightly. Squeeze the trigger and the rat dropped like a stone. I checked and found I hit is squarely in the ear, killing it instantly. I was quite proud of my marksmanship. Running rat, 25 feet, head shot!

I have heard no scurrying since. I must have either made an impression on the others or got the lone rat.

Several years ago, I lived in the country. Shredding the fields (mowing for you city slickers) was not drudgery, but an opportunity to supplement the barn cat's feed. I always carried my 3" S&W M-65 .357 revolver with home made shotshells. The rats would scramble out of the way of the tractor and into the waiting arms of the little Smith. Stop, put the tractor in neutral, toss the body on the shredder deck and get back to work. When the chore was done, give the bodies to the barn cats. They absolutley LOVED fresh rat meat.

I learned to wean the kittens from mother's milk to rat meat. It made for cats who did not "play" with their prey. They killed them quickly and ate them before any other cats arrived to steal the kill. The only time I saw one of these trained killers "play" with a rat was whn one old tomcat was training a couple of kittens he had found and brought home. I watched with delight as he held the rat down for the 8 week old kittens. They learned that rat meat was a delectible treat and they, too, became stone killers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8598

Get a new supply of cats.

People Like This 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The cats we had were very tolerant of the dogs. The dogs knew to leave them alone (except for the Mastiff, he wanted to kill them at every opportunity). I keep thinking about getting another cat or two, but in the interim, I leave a bowl of food outside the garage for the neighborhood cats. I like to let them know they are welcome to stop by and hunt any tme they want.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The cats we had were very tolerant of the dogs. The dogs knew to leave them alone (except for the Mastiff, he wanted to kill them at every opportunity). I keep thinking about getting another cat or two, but in the interim, I leave a bowl of food outside the garage for the neighborhood cats. I like to let them know they are welcome to stop by and hunt any tme they want.
hey Robo, i can help you with your lacking a cat!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

when I was growing up my grandfather owned a dump in Marlboro, NY and me and my brother would take our 22's out and a brick at least once a week and just knock down rats all day. It was tons of fun and helped me learn how to hit moving small targets which helped me later in life when i deployed to Iraq

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

Liked 286 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 42

my dad told me when he was younger he would go to the dump with his winchester 04 and .22 shorts and kill rat after rat after rat.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 04-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default Rats begone...........

I found that this works well. You take a 30 gallon plastic drum, throw some dog food in the bottom. Place a board where the rats can go as they please eating the dog food. After a week remove the board. The rats jump in thinking they have a way out. The only way out is in the mulch pile..............The best rat poison on the market is called one bite..............This stuff works on every thing that ingest it, it'll kill small mice in minutes.................Still though, I find that revenge is best served at the end of a barrel..............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I found that this works well. You take a 30 gallon plastic drum, throw some dog food in the bottom. Place a board where the rats can go as they please eating the dog food. After a week remove the board. The rats jump in thinking they have a way out. The only way out is in the mulch pile..............The best rat poison on the market is called one bite..............This stuff works on every thing that ingest it, it'll kill small mice in minutes.................Still though, I find that revenge is best served at the end of a barrel..............
You can also fill the drum 1/3 with water, use a piece of 6" poster board over the top w/ peanut butter in the center, they can't resist!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #9

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Robo, I'll happily trade you rats for flying squirrels!! What a headache they are. Nocturnal and get in everywhere. I finally started using huge doses of rat poison, the type that makes them go outside for a drink and it activates the poison.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1748 Times on 971 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

I'm a fan of cats. We have two outdoor cats. I think we still have two. Haven't seen one in a week, but then again it's spring.
I'll try to maintain a cat population. I never see them, just scat occasionally. Hard to shoot them if you can't see them.

I had a couple of blue boxes that electrocute them. They stopped working. but did work well for quite a while.

If I felt that the population was growing, I would try banana and peanut butter. I heard this works for more than Elvis sightings.

Growing up, I always wanted to go to a dump and shoot rats. Never found a place to do it.

Happy Hunting, what ever your method.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL