Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting Rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #31
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Hunting Rant

I would rather put rabid weasels down my BVD’s then watch those shows! They are nothing but hawking stations. They cater to the weak minded wanna-bee yuppie hunters. I know many of these idiots. I have had to bite the tongue because they order things from me; I use to try to give advice, they don’t listen, because they saw it on the TV with super hunter and his sidekick balmoman. Took two of these “professional equipped” hunters to deer camp recently. Within day two I was ready to shoot them both, dress them out and pack it up. They wouldn’t listen to anything I or other experience hunters had to say; I have 51 years under my belt; didn’t mean a dam thing to these two. They had backpacks, the size like they were planning on a cross hiking adventure into wonderland. Looking over at me like I was from the Stone Age. With an old Army Signal bag, and old worn and tattered ranger outfit, a little 358 Carbine on my shoulder, well worn rubber boots, and my old “Indy hat” Well when it was all over I had three under my belt, to their ZERO! Yea I have a ATV now, can’t walk very good anymore, the old dogs went bad, left one real bad, still recovering from surgery. Newest thing is a themo-cell THEY WORK! I have my own concoctions of cover sprays, and mommy finally bought me some new pants and shirts, the old ranger is about had it. There is more junk and deer-O-Matic stuff out there, to shake a stick at. And remember you MUST have the super ultra mag. so you can shoot 1000 yards. I told both these yahoos, hunting isn’t the ability to shoot from as far as you can; but the ability to stalk, and get as close as you can. When the deer has powder burns on its hide you did some serious hunting!

"A man with rust on his gun, is man without honor"

Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
Long-action rifle with a good scope. Everything else should be banned for big game.
I have killed many deer with my 12 ga. shotgun.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hunting Rant

I once was so close to a Buck that when I fired my old "Meat-in-the pot" 16ga. 1148 Remington the wad behind the slug was stuck in the tree behind the deer! Blew its lungs clean out the other side..Powder burns on its side! I have a customer who wants me to build him a rifle so he can shoot 800 yards; now he can barely hit anything @ 100; go figure! I juts shut my mouth and say OK. But there is a reason why I hunt on private land! To stay away from dam fools like that.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default So true.

I totally agree that these shows are for advertising and not hunting. There is the newest trend of taking country singers, professional athletes and actors out for a "rigorous" hunt where the stands are already set up, the food plots are growing, and the land owner has photographs and schedules of which bucks go where. Even if I could afford to hunt this way, there is now way that I could bring myself to lower my standards this much. The furthest shot I have ever made on a buck here in Florida was 40 yards and everytime I have shot a buck I was wearing a white t-shirt and jeans and sitting on the ground. That's not bragging just an observation of how us poor folks do it.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #35
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hunting Rant

mwblackmon, ever heard of "River Ranch" ? I think its off of 326...Place makes me puke! I know of a couple of "real hunters" who went there, and paid to shoot an Elk, they were bragging about it! They let the Elk out the cage day before, it's wondering around no clue, it you miss it the guide shoots it for you. I just gave them the old lasar right eye stare; took a littel while they shut about their "great hunting adventure" and went away.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I feeling your pain brothers, besides the hunting programs, I'm dropping my subscription to Outdoor Life and Field and Stream magazines. They use to be fine publications, now you have to wade through the advertisements to find a decent article. The worst of it all IMO is when they try to dress up the "what new" issue as legitimate reading. Just more advertisement.

Maybe we need a Firearm Forum magazine for the everyday sportsman and sportswomen. We could make Tango the Editor and Chief because that would keep the riff-raff out. Tango, your still my hero. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #37
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hunting Rant

Hunter Joe, I like that idea! I changed by cable service beacuse they lumped the Hunting channel in with a "sports package", the other provider let me "car-blanchee" it. Then it started showing gold mining, then ATV races, then exercise stuff; not to mention what we all be ticked off about. Now it's off the selection. I want real answers from real questions by real hunters no BS, no selling some doloolye thingy, that no righteous God Fearing Red Blooded American would dare bring to hunting camp. Unless of course he is a; no I won't go there I promissed I would be nice after all it's Thanksgiving tomarrow...

Old 11-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hunting Rant

Yeah grumpy I've heard of them and seen their ads. There's several places in Florida to "hunt" exotics like that. Right here in my own town is a place to "hunt" pheasants. They use a conveyer to transport the birds to the top of a tower while all of the hunters (I mean shooters) stand around on the ground. The "guide" then picks up a bird and swings around in a circle and lets it go. This disorients the bird giving all of the shooters a fair chance. I probably go and watch if he were throwing hand grenades instead.