Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting Rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hunting Rant

Okay now I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but flame all you want…

Today I was watching some Billy Bob hunting program on the tube and I seriously started to wonder, “What the hell happened to the sport of hunting". After I watched Billy Bob ride his ATV 30 miles to setup his scent traps, tree blinds, decoys, scouting cameras, food plot mixes, etc, etc... put on his "hey look, I’m a tree" camo, screw with his $2000 rifle's $1000 scope, and start using his calls and scent blockers, all I could think to myself was where is the challenge? What are we going to hand down to the next generation? Will they learn hunting skills or should we just take our kids to the store and show them what to buy so they can go bag an animal. In this age of hunting technology I think we need to ask ourselves, Are we really passing down to our children the basic skills of hunting such as stalking, knowing how to hunt the wind, scouting, reading sign, practicing with their equipment to know their limitations, etc…

I haven’t watched a hunting show in quite some time, but it seems to me that they’re mostly about pushing products and showing how many food plots they can plant, so all they have to do is set up in blind on stilts and wait for a deer to come out and shoot it.

Call me old fashioned (I’m 25) but I just seriously think the sport of hunting nowadays is nothing but a joke. Unless you can take your rifle, leave isle 7 from Gander Mtn. at home, and score your meal with nothing but knowledge and patience, you are not a hunter.

If you want to use live animals for simple target practice, fine, but call it what it is.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I hunted for a number of my earlier years and enjoyed it, but I got away from it somehow. Now, I just don't seem to have the desire.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

We have to separate the hunting shows from the sport. That's like comaring the Bass Masters to actual fishing.

The sport of hunting is alive and well in most hunter's lives. I am one. I don't hunt fenced in ranches. I don't go for the newest fad that sponsors those hunting shows.

If I knew you better, I would invite you to come hunt with me. I consider myself to be a hunter that is like the majority of hunters. I don't have a TV show that is selling products.

Bronco's are 5-0.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Rant all you want because you are absolutely right. There are a few of us left who go on the hunt because we enjoy the chase. It is not important if you make a kill, it is important that you enjoy yourself and appreciate being in the woods during one of the most beautiful seasons of the year.
Gadgets are designed to get bills out of your wallet and to attract those who have never developed good hunting skills and have no woods sense. Maybe growing up on a farm in middle Georgia helped me to develop just by rambling in the woods at an early age with a .22.
I haven't hunted since the season of '98 when my wife passed away, but joined a hunting club for this year. Now I can enjoy the woods and set my own pace and without a bunch of gadgets. I did invest in a thermacell for the hungry mosquitoes and will be hunting with a rather expensive rifle (National Match accurized and scoped M1A) along with one of my CMP M1 Garands and handloaded ammo.
Maybe the problem is that todays kids grow up with nothing but asphalt and concrete under their feet and can't see the forest because all those trees are in the way. That's who the shows and salesmen are after.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with you 100% about the hunting shows, they aren't hunting. They are paying to shoot an animal that has been raised and bread into existance. I will admit, I use some of the sents but who can really afford to buy all the crap they try to tell you that you need in order to shoot a deer. People have been killing deer long before any of that stuff was around and we would continue to do so without it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Those "hunting" shows just don't portray hunting the way it really is. I mean how many of us could get by with talking up in a tree with a trophy buck within good bow range? They couldn't be further from the truth. Most of us can't afford to prepare multiple food plots costing thousands of dollars either. The ONLY hunting shows I watch are the african safari shows about hunting dangerous game.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #7

These shows arent to show real sport in my mind its too sell products and make city folks want to hunt and spend alot of money... i have been raised up to campout in a tent on the river with a open sight 30 30 and kill what you can with old camo shirts and have fun while im at it its a dying breed to find true outdoors man that know north south east and west when you look on tv and they have a gps to tell them that.

Ghostndawoodz

"A gun is a tool, sir, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."

Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Yep gostndawoods we're a dying breed. C'mon over here to Georgia and we'll slop around in the swamps and rout out some big deer, hogs and coyotes.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #9

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlPainless View Post
Okay now I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but flame all you want…

Today I was watching some Billy Bob hunting program on the tube and I seriously started to wonder, “What the hell happened to the sport of hunting". After I watched Billy Bob ride his ATV 30 miles to setup his scent traps, tree blinds, decoys, scouting cameras, food plot mixes, etc, etc... put on his "hey look, I’m a tree" camo, screw with his $2000 rifle's $1000 scope, and start using his calls and scent blockers, all I could think to myself was where is the challenge? What are we going to hand down to the next generation? Will they learn hunting skills or should we just take our kids to the store and show them what to buy so they can go bag an animal. In this age of hunting technology I think we need to ask ourselves, Are we really passing down to our children the basic skills of hunting such as stalking, knowing how to hunt the wind, scouting, reading sign, practicing with their equipment to know their limitations, etc…

I haven’t watched a hunting show in quite some time, but it seems to me that they’re mostly about pushing products and showing how many food plots they can plant, so all they have to do is set up in blind on stilts and wait for a deer to come out and shoot it.

Call me old fashioned (I’m 25) but I just seriously think the sport of hunting nowadays is nothing but a joke. Unless you can take your rifle, leave isle 7 from Gander Mtn. at home, and score your meal with nothing but knowledge and patience, you are not a hunter.

If you want to use live animals for simple target practice, fine, but call it what it is.
Most of the things you listed in your first paragraph are illegal to do while hunting in this province. Basically track and shoot, no bait (cept for coyotes) no shooting from trees and no blinds (except for waterfowl). On the other hand the place is crawling with game so...

Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I love seeing the guys with they're fancy camo that set them back $500 and like you said $2000 and $1000 scopes then they get up in their wood stove heated 52" plasma HDTV heated toilet seat blind and set in the lazy boy till a deer walks by then they miss the dam thing because they only fired 3 shots with their rifle to "Confirm Zero"...

The worst hunting show I ever seen was a guy hunting buffelo here in the states He pulls up to a herd in a bright red ass pick up gets out with his custom built 45-110 Sharps rifle in his authentic custom tailored buck skin clothings and his authentic coon skin hat and walks up to one no more than 50 feet away blasts the SOB 3 times because he can't hit the side of an effing hill then jumps up and down hootin and goin on because he has such a great hunt.

These shows make me want to go kick them all right in the dam junk.