hunting pack - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > hunting pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I like a basic back pack also over a fanny pack. Carries easier and holds more if needed when in more remote areas. A also like a Boonie Packers- Safari Sling for my rifle as it does not need to be hands on while hunting or draging a deer and rifle is allways at the ready.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/220723/safari-rifle-sling-reviews/reviews.htm?page=9&sort=rating

Pull the deer- http://www.deerhandle.com/

Along with a Dead Sled works wonders to get deer out of the woods.

What I carry depends on the hunt. Allways more water than needed and energy bars along with fire start of your choice , compass and noise maker encase something stupid happens. Then a quality poncho, extra knife, few extra rounds of ammo along with atleast a deer handle.

Back packs work better than a fanny pack for strapping layers of clothing to also

Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #12

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I carry my licenses, tags, pens, lighters, hemostats, knives, ammo, gloves, handwarmers. Really whatever I'll think I need. It's only a little "fanny pack", I see no need in carrying a 30lb back pack.
Same here. Mine is blaze orange also. I don't wear a vest. Hat and fanny pack that are orange. That is it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Same here. Mine is blaze orange also. I don't wear a vest. Hat and fanny pack that are orange. That is it.
I prefer a backpack. Usually I strip off clothes during the day. The backpack doesn't weigh very much and I don't find my missing coat the next season hanging in a tree.

To those of you that are wondering how one would use a piece of rebar to move a deer: You simply take a knife and make a cut between the deer's achilles tendons and leg bone to slip the rebar into. A 24" piece of 3/8 rebar doesn't weigh much more than your spare ammo. You can easily drag a deer with it. It's small enough that the hook on a nylon strap will slip right over it. Then you can use a 4 wheeler or everyone in the hunting party can help drag the deer to the truck. Around here most hunters have a 4 wheeler. I didn't know the use of 4 wheeler's was a local phenomenon.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #14

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

I prefer a backpack. Usually I strip off clothes during the day. The backpack doesn't weigh very much and I don't find my missing coat the next season hanging in a tree.

To those of you that are wondering how one would use a piece of rebar to move a deer: You simply take a knife and make a cut between the deer's achilles tendons and leg bone to slip the rebar into. A 24" piece of 3/8 rebar doesn't weigh much more than your spare ammo. You can easily drag a deer with it. It's small enough that the hook on a nylon strap will slip right over it. Then you can use a 4 wheeler or everyone in the hunting party can help drag the deer to the truck. Around here most hunters have a 4 wheeler. I didn't know the use of 4 wheeler's was a local phenomenon.
The use of 4 wheelers in these parts is off limits unless u hunt from a road. We use pack mules not horses ,mules

Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #15

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why would anyone carry a heavy steel rod in the woods while hunting? Hell for 10,000 years even the cave men knew to just cut a small branch from a tree for this use. Did you post this as a joke

Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #16

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Why would anyone carry a heavy steel rod in the woods while hunting? Hell for 10,000 years even the cave men knew to just cut a small branch from a tree for this use. Did you post this as a joke
Did u answer this as a joke???? Its a 24" section of 1/2 " rebar there lil guy I bet it weighs all of 3/4 pound. Now thats rolleyes.