Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > hunting pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default hunting pack

I have been hunting since I was eight and I have never carried one. But now that I'm older and spend time walking by myself a lot more I am thinkin about puttin together a hunting pack that is good for everything from deer to elk to bear to cougar. What do u guys recommend I carry in it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #2

Liked 2366 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I carry my licenses, tags, pens, lighters, hemostats, knives, ammo, gloves, handwarmers. Really whatever I'll think I need. It's only a little "fanny pack", I see no need in carrying a 30lb back pack.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #3

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I carry a back pack. But it starts out with just a small emergency survival kit in it. There is a space blanket, a poncho, water purification tablets, fire starter, fishing stuff, power bar, parachute cord, knife and stuff like that. It fits in a large mouth water bottle. Other than the water bottle the pack starts out empty. But later I shed jackets and other layers to put them in the pack as it warms up.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I got a mil surplus shoulder bag I keep my flare pistol, 5 flares, knife, some rope, my water filter, a space blanket, matches, a thing of sturno, mocosines, and extra ammo. I prefer the shoulder pack it feel better on me and when I go hunting during the warmer months I go barefoot and I think it allows me to go faster with this pack while still keeping impertinent stuff I need on me.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I grew up hunting in Wisconson and never really gave a lot of thought to having any kind of a pack. You carried your rifle, some extra ammo, a hunting knife on your belt, and maybe a sandwich and Snickers bar in your coat pocket. When I moved to Colorado in 1978, hunting, and surviving became a whole new experience. In the farm country of Wisconsin you were never far from a road or someones farm and if you just kept going in one direction for a few minutes you would get to someplace you could find your way home from. In the Colorado mountains, you can get 100 yards from your truck and be hopelessly turned around. Throw in the early afternoon sunset, the warm fall day that turned to a cold front complete with heavy track covering snow, add a little panic, and your fun hunting trip turns to a nightmare. I now take survival prep vary seriously and never head out without at the very least some basic survival equipment and a compass.

Put yourself together a small day pack with fire starter, water and some way to purify more, something to shelter you from mositure and wind like a good size piece of 6 mil plastic or large heavy duty trash bag, a small first aid kit, not just a boo boo kit with bandaids, but a few things for splinting and stopping serious blood loss as well. Add a compass, a good knife, flashlight and anything else thats appropriate for terrain you venture into. And don't leave home without it. Just before this years hunting season, I bought a Army surplus vest with lots of pockets front and back. I was able to carry my survival kit, first aid kit, compass, GPS, extra ammo, multi tool, map, a few snacks and probably a few more things I dont remember. The point is, I keep the vest on all day and even if I jump out of my truck to run to the ridge and see which way that herd of elk went, I've got everything I need to either find my way back, survive if I can't, and make it easier for rescuers to find me.
Depending on where you are you may not need as much stuff as I believe in but make sure you have some basics. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #6

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Don't forget your pet.

working-dog.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #7

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Snacks, water, rope, extra ammo, matches or lighter, extra gloves. I hunt locally around my area and always have cell phone signal but I may hike out a couple miles in the woods.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1347 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Nabs, water, extra ammo and a piece of rebar to drag the deer.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Nabs, water, extra ammo and a piece of rebar to drag the deer.
I have two questions
1.what is a nab?
2.hoe do u use rebar to pack out a deer?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1149 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97

I have two questions
1.what is a nab?
2.hoe do u use rebar to pack out a deer?
Nabs = Nabisco's brand of peanut butter / cheese crackers, like Toms or Lance snack crackers.