Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Hunting Forum (
-   -   hunting pack (

savageman97 12-30-2012 01:56 AM

hunting pack
I have been hunting since I was eight and I have never carried one. But now that I'm older and spend time walking by myself a lot more I am thinkin about puttin together a hunting pack that is good for everything from deer to elk to bear to cougar. What do u guys recommend I carry in it?

kytowboater 12-30-2012 01:59 AM

I carry my licenses, tags, pens, lighters, hemostats, knives, ammo, gloves, handwarmers. Really whatever I'll think I need. It's only a little "fanny pack", I see no need in carrying a 30lb back pack.

Rick1967 12-30-2012 02:12 AM

I carry a back pack. But it starts out with just a small emergency survival kit in it. There is a space blanket, a poncho, water purification tablets, fire starter, fishing stuff, power bar, parachute cord, knife and stuff like that. It fits in a large mouth water bottle. Other than the water bottle the pack starts out empty. But later I shed jackets and other layers to put them in the pack as it warms up.

unclebear 12-30-2012 04:18 AM

I got a mil surplus shoulder bag I keep my flare pistol, 5 flares, knife, some rope, my water filter, a space blanket, matches, a thing of sturno, mocosines, and extra ammo. I prefer the shoulder pack it feel better on me and when I go hunting during the warmer months I go barefoot and I think it allows me to go faster with this pack while still keeping impertinent stuff I need on me.

locnload 12-30-2012 05:55 AM

I grew up hunting in Wisconson and never really gave a lot of thought to having any kind of a pack. You carried your rifle, some extra ammo, a hunting knife on your belt, and maybe a sandwich and Snickers bar in your coat pocket. When I moved to Colorado in 1978, hunting, and surviving became a whole new experience. In the farm country of Wisconsin you were never far from a road or someones farm and if you just kept going in one direction for a few minutes you would get to someplace you could find your way home from. In the Colorado mountains, you can get 100 yards from your truck and be hopelessly turned around. Throw in the early afternoon sunset, the warm fall day that turned to a cold front complete with heavy track covering snow, add a little panic, and your fun hunting trip turns to a nightmare. I now take survival prep vary seriously and never head out without at the very least some basic survival equipment and a compass.

Put yourself together a small day pack with fire starter, water and some way to purify more, something to shelter you from mositure and wind like a good size piece of 6 mil plastic or large heavy duty trash bag, a small first aid kit, not just a boo boo kit with bandaids, but a few things for splinting and stopping serious blood loss as well. Add a compass, a good knife, flashlight and anything else thats appropriate for terrain you venture into. And don't leave home without it. Just before this years hunting season, I bought a Army surplus vest with lots of pockets front and back. I was able to carry my survival kit, first aid kit, compass, GPS, extra ammo, multi tool, map, a few snacks and probably a few more things I dont remember. The point is, I keep the vest on all day and even if I jump out of my truck to run to the ridge and see which way that herd of elk went, I've got everything I need to either find my way back, survive if I can't, and make it easier for rescuers to find me.
Depending on where you are you may not need as much stuff as I believe in but make sure you have some basics. Good luck.:)

nitestalker 12-30-2012 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't forget your pet.;)

tri70 12-31-2012 05:52 PM

Snacks, water, rope, extra ammo, matches or lighter, extra gloves. I hunt locally around my area and always have cell phone signal but I may hike out a couple miles in the woods.

John_Deer 12-31-2012 11:56 PM

Nabs, water, extra ammo and a piece of rebar to drag the deer.

savageman97 01-01-2013 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1074039)
Nabs, water, extra ammo and a piece of rebar to drag the deer.

I have two questions
1.what is a nab?
2.hoe do u use rebar to pack out a deer?

Gatoragn 01-01-2013 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by savageman97

I have two questions
1.what is a nab?
2.hoe do u use rebar to pack out a deer?

Nabs = Nabisco's brand of peanut butter / cheese crackers, like Toms or Lance snack crackers.