Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Hunting Leases (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/hunting-leases-102015/)

Shooter 12-26-2013 08:06 PM

Hunting Leases

How do you tend to find your hunting leases?

Craigslist? Other website?

Axxe55 12-26-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 1467734)

i have seen where some will advertise they are looking for leases in Craigslist. i have seen where people will put up posts on bulletin boards for leases to rent or those looking for leases to rent.

John_Deer 12-26-2013 10:17 PM

I don't have any land leased. If I agreed to perform certain tasks as part of the lease I would find someone close.

Gatoragn 12-27-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 1467734)

Word of mouth, ask acquaintances to keep me in mind if their lease has an opening. Prior to internet found a lease in the want ads of a local paper.

John_Deer 12-27-2013 12:44 AM

I would try to join a group rather than lease land on your own. In this area hunting leases run $7 (minimum price) an acre plus you are expected to maintain the gates and any damage you do to the paths on the land. You can only afford to manage so much land on your own. If you join a group you will have access to more land and more places to hunt. Plus you have a lot of help from all the club members.

hairbear1 01-04-2014 11:14 PM

Jeez hunting leases ehh? Here in Australia the majority of we hunters just go door knocking or know somebody who knows somebody to get permission to hunt. Get a lot of knockbacks but you never know till you try.

Word of mouth works well too. I scored another place to hunt on at the local RSL(Returned Services League club) 2 days ago just talking to a bloke who has fox, rabbit and Kangaroo problems plus he's seen a few goats and pigs getting around.

Gatoragn 01-05-2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1 (Post 1474707)
Jeez hunting leases ehh? Here in Australia the majority of we hunters just go door knocking or know somebody who knows somebody to get permission to hunt. Get a lot of knockbacks but you never know till you try.

Word of mouth works well too. I scored another place to hunt on at the local RSL(Returned Services League club) 2 days ago just talking to a bloke who has fox, rabbit and Kangaroo problems plus he's seen a few goats and pigs getting around.

I have gotten access to hunt wild turkey by knocking on doors, a homemade pie or something gets me invited next year.

Deer hunting, pheasant, quail, nearly impossible to find access, too much money involved these days. The farmers in Wisconsin consider turkeys a major PITA. But save the deer for their friends, family or lease the hunting rights.

nitestalker 01-05-2014 01:47 AM

Most of the land in the inter mountain West is Public lands. Hunting leases are some what rare. :)

Mouser 01-05-2014 02:41 PM

Here in Alabama, there are large tracts of timber company land that local people lease in the form of hunting clubs. If you are an avid hunter, it is really a neat deal. The only way I know to get in a club is word of mouth...sometimes there are ads but mostly friend of a friend.

It is good to know some of the people in the club too so you can understand the "rules" that most clubs impose on their members...might be rack size or in the case of Alabama, dog hunting used to be a big deal so understanding rules and limitations is important.

John_Deer 01-05-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 1475160)
Here in Alabama, there are large tracts of timber company land that local people lease in the form of hunting clubs. If you are an avid hunter, it is really a neat deal. The only way I know to get in a club is word of mouth...sometimes there are ads but mostly friend of a friend.

It is good to know some of the people in the club too so you can understand the "rules" that most clubs impose on their members...might be rack size or in the case of Alabama, dog hunting used to be a big deal so understanding rules and limitations is important.

I oversee a 2,400 acre tract of land that used to be leased by a hunting club. They made a mess of the place. The landowners would schedule controlled burns to control brush. The hunting club would lock the forestry service out. Finally I got control of the land because I obey their wishes. I also have the equipment to improve the paths. Since I am getting use of the land for free I don't mind dumping $2,500 worth of gravel every few years to keep the paths in good enough shape to drive a car down the paths. When it was leased to the hunting club they let the paths get in such bad shape you needed a 4 wheel drive to drive down the paths. They did a lot of other stupid stuff. Where people drove around the gates, instead of putting up a cable they threw out nails. I ended up buying a roller magnet like roofers use to get up the nails.