Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > hunting help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default hunting help

Hey guys i've got a question. i have a savage .243 that i sighted in at 100 yards. we'll i've been seeing this big buck on my trail camera and the only way i can get a chance at him is to hunt from my tree stand witch would put me shooting at 20 yards. Do you think i can make this shot without re sighting my gun? i really don't wont to make any noise in this hunting area right now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Welcome to the forum! We have an introductions area. Stop by there when you get a chance.

The difference between 20 yards and 100 yards is pretty negligible.
Check this out and you can see where the bullet should hit at 20 yards.
http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

Samsonian,

You will be fine assuming you are planning on making a Heart and Lung Shot. Just remember at 20 yards you will be hitting about 2.0 to 2.5 inches "Lower" than where you are aiming. This due to your line of sight and line of bore at that close a range is different and are not intersecting like they would be at 100 yards. Do not change the Zero on your rifle. To make it simple the scope sets about 2 to 2.5 inches above the line of the bore at the close ranges of 25 yards and under so do not forget to compensate. Just aim about 2 inches "Higher than the normal aiming point at 20 yards and pull the trigger. You will be fine! With the 243 ammunition selection is the most critical issue is to use good deer and game loads. Good Luck and have a great season.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 11-19-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Look up the bullet drop for ur cartage, I think yours is a flatter trajectory then mine. I know on my 308 also sighted at 100 yards using my cartage of choice. The bullet starts about 15 moa low at 20 yards for me. Rough estimation means that's about 1 or 2 mil and at 20 yards that deers kill zone is a large target. I would be comfortable holding over at that range, but my scope has exposed turrets for this point. It's easier for me to just go up 15 clicks then line up a hold over. Your hold over could be less, and therefore easier then changing ur sighting. Especially if ur turrets are not exposed.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 30

As was said, at the muzzle your bullet will be about 1 7/8 ths inches below your aiming point, depending on the height of your scope rings based on the size of the scope posts.

If you zeroed your rifle at 100 yds, then aiming point and impact point will be the same there.

According to the laws of geometry and physics, at 50 yards downrange the bullet will be half that height below your aiming point.

And at 25 yards it will be three fourths that height below it. So we are talking about a difference of 1 1/4 inches.

Ergo, negligible.

Calculations are:

(1 7/8) x 3/4 = 1 1/4 inches, rounded

Last edited by Shoobee; 11-19-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
Look up the bullet drop for ur cartage, I think yours is a flatter trajectory then mine. I know on my 308 also sighted at 100 yards using my cartage of choice. The bullet starts about 15 moa low at 20 yards for me. Rough estimation means that's about 1 or 2 mil and at 20 yards that deers kill zone is a large target. I would be comfortable holding over at that range, but my scope has exposed turrets for this point. It's easier for me to just go up 15 clicks then line up a hold over. Your hold over could be less, and therefore easier then changing ur sighting. Especially if ur turrets are not exposed.
moa's and mil's huh???

Try inches or centimeters, numbers that most everyone is used to.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Samsonian,

You will be fine assuming you are planning on making a Heart and Lung Shot. Just remember at 20 yards you will be hitting about 2.0 to 2.5 inches "Lower" than where you are aiming. This due to your line of sight and line of bore at that close a range is different and are not intersecting like they would be at 100 yards. Do not change the Zero on your rifle. To make it simple the scope sets about 2 to 2.5 inches above the line of the bore at the close ranges of 25 yards and under so do not forget to compensate. Just aim about 2 inches "Higher than the normal aiming point at 20 yards and pull the trigger. You will be fine! With the 243 ammunition selection is the most critical issue is to use good deer and game loads. Good Luck and have a great season.

Heck he should be able to almost hit the eye ball as well, with only a difference of 1 1/4 inches.

I can tell you're good at this, too.

My favorite kentucky windage (holding off) was the following:

Set the scope for 700 yards kill.

Then remember belly, balls, knees, feet, knees, balls, belly.

Belly = for a 600 yds shot or 50 yards shot.

Balls = for a 500 yds shot or 100 yds shot.

Knees = for a 400 yds shot or 200 yds shot.

Feet = for a 350 yds shot.

This accounts for the entire arc of a long range sniper shot on a military chest shot.

On a deer, most hunters just sight in for 250 yds and shoot flat anywhere from 0 to 400 yards.

Last edited by Shoobee; 11-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

wow great info , thanks so much , i will be going for the heart/lungs " hopefully" and i really didn't want to make a bad shot. this is my first rifle and first season deer hunting with it. When the season is over i'll be doing some testing. i'll be up in a tree too so i'll have to think about that angle the bullet enters.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

And to add at 25 yards unlike a long distance shot from an elevated position (Stand) which normally at long range would hit a little higher than a normal ballistics tables would advise. This due to the range and effects of gravity at the elevated angle. So your elevation to the target will have Zero Effect at 25 yards and will make little difference even at 100 yards shooting from a stand. Good luck on your trip!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

moa's and mil's huh???

Try inches or centimeters, numbers that most everyone is used to.
Sorry, 1 moa at 20 yards is like .5 inches on target. Some Scopes have dots in them that are one mill appart. A mil is equal to 3 or so moa.