Hunting German Roe Deer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting German Roe Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default Hunting German Roe Deer

My friends and I had an early morning hunt for Roe deer and Boar. I did not see boar, but I shot a two year old Roe Buck. He came into view from the left in picture five along the far tree line. First two females walked by, then he came into view. He sprinted right when I shot, so I was about an inch off the heart chamber. Three more doe and a buck arrived shortly, but they were moving to fast for a clean shot on the buck. We are in buck season until fall, then doe and under a year season starts until summer. There is a second set of pictures following this set that shows the meat processing area of our local hunters' butcher.

006.jpg   004.jpg   019.jpg   001.jpg   002.jpg  

003.jpg   013.jpg   014.jpg   017.jpg   021.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I removed the head for a skull and antler trophy to place on my desk at work. The buck weighed 13.7 kilos minus head and innards. The antlers are not massive like a Red Deer, in fact they are quite small. The most points I have ever seen on a Roe is eight. In the cooler there was a boar and another Roe. Mine is the one on the left. I found a pile of antlers on a table, but I am guessing the butcher is going to sell them. For my trophy, we first cut slits along the head, then we boil it for half an hour. Next we remove as much meat as possible. Then we allow flies to place eggs in the skull so that the maggots can eat the rest of the meat. Then we bleach the skull with paroxide. Well anyways, what a great morning!!!!!!

022.jpg   023.jpg   024.jpg   029.jpg   030.jpg  

026.jpg   027.jpg   031.jpg   033.jpg   028.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My friend took this picture of me before field dressing the Roe buck. You can see how small Roe deer are, but they are very fast on the run. I hunt with a CZ-550 chambered in .308. I only lost the liver and a small amount of meat on the entrance hole. I hunt Roe year round, so I always have deer meat in the freezer.

dan-1.-bock-27.07.2013.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

Liked 229 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Very nice!
It sounds like Roe would be a little more challenging than most of the deer we have in the states.
Are Roe deer more skittish? I know they're smaller so a slightly smaller target, but how do they "act" in relation to say a whitetail deer?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Roe are very skittish with unfamiliar noises and situations. For example, you can drive your car daily through the hunting revier, and they will ignore you. If you stop the car to look at them, they will jet. Hunters normally talk normally while hiking and working on the revier so the Roe get use to them. The Roe buck bark to warn other deer of danger. Yes, they bark like a dog. My beagle was shocked when a buck started barking back at him. It was very funny. Roe are very quite and you will not know they are there unless you eye them. I did not know the the two doe and buck were there until I looked behind and left of my high seat. I shot my buck right when he was jetting from the sound of my safety. I have shot Roe at full speed at over a hundred meters away in the heart or neck during drive hunts. The boar are also very fast!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

We hunt two more type of deer in the area. Fallow deer (damswild) which are larger deer with elk type antlers. Red deer (Rotwild) which are large with huge trophies. Roe deer are called Rehwild. Here are pictures of a female Fallow deer. Sorry, no pictures of a male.

041.jpg   042.jpg   036.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #7

Liked 367 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Your Roe Deer look very similar in size to our Hog Deer.
It looks like a .222 or similar would probably suffice to take 1 of them out as they're a very skinned animal.

Well done on the shot and they are a very pretty looking deer.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
Your Roe Deer look very similar in size to our Hog Deer.
It looks like a .222 or similar would probably suffice to take 1 of them out as they're a very skinned animal.

Well done on the shot and they are a very pretty looking deer.
Thank you. You are right about the smaller cartridge. A little bigger, the .223 is the most common cartridge a hunter uses in his/her dedicated Roe rifle. I would like to hunt a roe with my new AR in the near future. Do you have any pics of the hog deer?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1869 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Thanks for the pics.
Your shoot house and hunting area don't look any different than the ones here in Alabama!!!!
But the cleaning area looks a whole lot different than the inside of my barn where I gut and skin my deer and hogs!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #10

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Arizona dear.............................................. ..

pretty-girls-pictures-2.jpg  

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

thatonespot Likes This