hunting dogs

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > hunting dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

Default hunting dogs

Why is it folks wana run hunting dogs so lean? Got one in the yard its a walker of some sort about to stave to death looking all it wants is to eat. My dogs are grrrrrr its belly crawling. Got a tracking collor on it! Called the man says he just turned it loose yesterday.I just dont get it, but its out of my yard now so we good. Some rednecks an there ways baffle me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I find a starving dog, I'll take the collar off. Looks like he just found a new home. And may God have mercy on the douche bag owner if he manages to find the dog at my house while I'm home.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #3

Yes i do find a happy medium. My family runs one of the best jack russel kennels there are in the states. No joke if u are interested in a jack riverbottomterriers.com . We race dogs all over the states an a thin dog runs faster but not longer. Hmmmm a deer dog i wana run slow and steady = short fat dog lol no like a begal. Not a walker thin as hell run all its got in 30mins then come to my dog house. Lose dogs 2 full labs 1 collie , a wanab fitz , a chawinnie lol half chawawa half wienner lol thats super dog been run over twice got at least 3 lives. Um an 2 pits my babys. A few cats lol for the mice.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There's a huge difference between fit and starved. I've never owned a fat dog. Or one with it's ribs showing.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #5

Liked 87 Times on 57 Posts

I have a dog that is half shar pei and half lab, in the summer he looks like he is starving no matter how much he eats but in the winter he fills in and looks great. He is 4 years old and had been like this every year.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #6

Well lets just say this thing wouldnt be worth eating!! It was on the extreeme side. hip bones showing on its back. dog aint ran enough to run somthing 100 yrds 0 musel sry yall it just drives me phucking crazy to see what some will do!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I don't know how hard the owner has been running the dog but Walkers loose weight fast. When I used to keep walkers in August when I started getting them in shape for hunting they were so fat they looked like overgrown house dogs. By the end of the season they were skinny as a rail. I never ran my lead dogs every day. I would let them rest a day between hunts and if they got even a minor injury they stayed in the pen until I needed a stick to keep them out of the truck.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
There's a huge difference between fit and starved. I've never owned a fat dog. Or one with it's ribs showing.
I have never owned a fat dog, either, but my dogs look fit.

I once was car shopping, answering ads in the paper. I went to one guys house who had a setter of some sort. White with a bunch of black spots. That dog had every rib, backbone and hip bone showing on it. I said something to him about feeding his dog. He got pissed and said to me, "That's the way a bird dog is supposed to look." I called BS and left. I should have reported him.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Bird dogs are supposed to be a little thin. At least labs. You should be able to slightly see the last couple of ribs. Shouldn't be the whole rib cage and hips though. Most people over feed labs. Labs are not supposed to be round lumps of mass. Their muscles should be well defined. Over fed (fat) dogs are far more unhealthy and are more prone to arthritis and joint problems. A dogs coat should tell all about how healthy a dog is.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's all about the diet hunting dogs burn a lot of calories so they need a high cal diet