Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting dog questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Food is positive feedback. I am not saying that strictly using simple verbal and physical praise is not a good way to train a dog. But I am saying that using treats does not automatically make them fat and lazy. And the transition from treats to praise is no more difficult than starting out with only praise.

Puppy comes when you call, you give a treat, pup consistently comes when you call, start petting them. Transition complete.
I agree here. I have used both praise and treats interchangeably. The treat give is a miniscule amount of a treat. A pinch of jerky type dog treat between thumb and finger is enough of a taste. We're not talking a treat that takes the dog 2 minutes to chew and swallow.
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Aside from training methods, I had very good luck with a German Shorthair.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #23

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

I had an American Water Spaniel, Sampson. He passed due to lymphoma. He was the strongest most aggressive hunter I ever had. He would take off and come back w/ two feet sticking out of his mouth if I took him grouse hunting. He never could figure out what the shotgun was for. The 1st time he did it I was just looking at him, when I said drop, out came a grouse. You should have seen him work. Nothing, not even a mouse entered my yard and left alive. He was a true alfa male. Now I have a female American fox hound. Again, she thinks it is her job to run down coons, fox, coyotes and bring them home. When she sees' me take out a shotgun, she just curls up in her bed.

This was Sampson. Great breed for upland bird or waterfowl.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #24

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The thing about having the right breed for the job is the dogs love their work. Most hunting dogs I have owned didn't require a lot of training beyond obedience training. Once the dog learns to be well mannered the hunting part they pick up by working with older dogs.

Like the Australian shepherd's in the photo. Once the dog has passed the obedience phase you can let them work cattle with older dogs. My Australian shepherd will pen cattle but I didn't let her get enough experience to work in the pen. She just chases the stock around in circles once they are in the pen. That is fine with me. All I need her to do is fetch stubborn horses. Edit: and love me!

To be frank, if I had to train a hunting dog without the assistance of older dogs I am not certain I could get it done. I even train pointers with the aid of older dogs. I tie a quail wing on the end of a cane pole. If the puppies point the wing I will buy one to work with an older dog after obedience training.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-13-2012 at 12:26 AM.
tri70 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #25

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
The thing about having the right breed for the job is the dogs love their work. Most hunting dogs I have owned didn't require a lot of training beyond obedience training. Once the dog learns to be well mannered the hunting part they pick up by working with older dogs.

Like the Australian shepherd's in the photo. Once the dog has passed the obedience phase you can let them work cattle with older dogs. My Australian shepherd will pen cattle but I didn't let her get enough experience to work in the pen. She just chases the stock around in circles once they are in the pen. That is fine with me. All I need her to do is fetch stubborn horses. Edit: and love me!

To be frank, if I had to train a hunting dog without the assistance of older dogs I am not certain I could get it done. I even train pointers with the aid of older dogs. I tie a quail wing on the end of a cane pole. If the puppies point the wing I will buy one to work with an older dog after obedience training.
The quail wing is a great method! I have trained several English setters and a pointer. The setters were beautiful to watch work covey's in the field, the lock and point. Many times I would have traded a gun for camera! We had a great pointer but he would bust covey's when he was first let out of the truck! Once he settled down, he was awesome! A buddy shot over him while he jump up a single, the dog stayed locked up on point, the bushes were kicked and another single jumped up! Wow! I miss quail hunting and wish we had more back here, I would get another pointer or setter and find a wing!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old_Crow Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Thank you. He was one of those special dogs that you only find a few of in your life. A hundred and thirty pounds of mutt that originally came to us in a two pound bundle of starved bones.

But he is no longer with us.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Be glad you had the chance to receive love from an awesome beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
The quail wing is a great method! I have trained several English setters and a pointer. The setters were beautiful to watch work covey's in the field, the lock and point. Many times I would have traded a gun for camera! We had a great pointer but he would bust covey's when he was first let out of the truck! Once he settled down, he was awesome! A buddy shot over him while he jump up a single, the dog stayed locked up on point, the bushes were kicked and another single jumped up! Wow! I miss quail hunting and wish we had more back here, I would get another pointer or setter and find a wing!

LOL Young lust!!

Watching a well trained machine in action is truly a sight to behold...makes ALL the hours of frustration that were known as training worth EVERY second!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #27

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Be glad you had the chance to receive love from an awesome beast.
He was an amazing pup. I wish he hadn't have been taken the way he was, but it was what he was trained for.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #28

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

i agree with fmj on his stated premise of praise vs treat. BUT, after seein his pride, i know INSTANTLY what he refers to.

labs are one of the most ornery dogs that you can work with! they train well for the first year of age to two,.......then, no matter whatchu do, they go plumb D-U-M-B. then after you're about to pull your hair out (on average 6 months later), they are back to basics.

i know y'all are talkin bout praise vs treat, and i'm gettin there. lab dogs seem to have the ability to "know" you inside and out, even before you know them. they know when you are mad @ somethin they did just by the look you give them, and they know just by the smile on your face that they "did good." lol what i'm sayin is that it's kinda hard to give a huntin dog a treat AND shoot/hold a shotgun........the treat is the praise, but most importantly the retrieve for the breed.

i had a british lab (the black i mentioned in an earlier post) that amazed me so many times, that i can't count them. anywho, i was pickin up hard, plastic, duck decoys after the season was over and brought him along with me. i would wrap the strings around the deke and throw it to the bank (cuz it was about 100 or so) in order to put it in the bag later. Trapper (his name) was in the water and out; over here and over there; smellin and peein on this and that while i kept on with the pick up. i would look up every now and then to see where he was and what he was doin, but really payin him no never mind. as i got farther and farther out, i couldn't throw the dekes all the way back to the bank.....they were landin in the water about 10 feet shy. after about 5 or 6 or so of these (i had my back to the bank), i hear him in the water again, then he was out, then back in, then back out. so i turn around to throw another deke towards the bank, and that lil turd is wadin out in the water, pickin up the dekes, one @ a time, and bringin them back to the bank. i NEVER told him to, or had NEVER trained him to. he was doin what made him happy.....makin the retrieve. he didn't need a tasty treat, THAT WAS his treat.

it has been 14 years since he died, and i still tear up when i think about the size of his heart.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-13-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #29

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post

labs are one of the most ornery dogs that you can work with! they train well for the first year of age to two,.......then, no matter whatchu do, they go plumb D-U-M-B. then after you're about to pull your hair out (on average 6 months later), they are back to basics.
I have never had that happen with any of the labs Ive trained. But I have had a few pull the teenage crap on me at about the age you say they went dumb. I didn't let them.

I have seen it time and time again. A owner will train train train for a good year. Then think their dog is trained, and sit back and expect the dog to retain everything they've been taught until next hunting season, or until trials start back up, or let them sit in the house for a month with only potty breaks outside, and expect them to walk perfect the second they get the gumption to go out for a walk.

Training, real training, is a constant, every day, all year, in one way shape or form, for the entire life of the dog type of thing.

Yes, as they get older, they retain things longer without as much sustainment, but in the first few years of life their brains are constantly changing. There are no off days.

Labs are very intelligent creatures, It may take ten or fifteen repetitions to teach them something new, but screw up one time (Just one), and let them train you, and they remember it for life. But that is the same for pretty much every breed of dog.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-13-2012 at 05:14 AM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #30

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Once the dog is fully trained, you can keep the dog sharp by simple play. Take the dog to the lake or a stream and have fun. Throw a frisbee, toss a training dummy in the water, most of all have fun! Sporting dogs can be trained by taking advantage of opportunity. When it's a 100 degrees outside the dog isn't going to hunt long or hard. But when you see quail or hear them whistling take your dog out, put it in a position to encounter a live bird in just a few minutes.