Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting dog questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hunting dog questions

Do labs shed a lot or just a little and can you teach a Siberian husky to hunt duck and pheasant

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Some labs can be hard headed and hard to train at first but it takes patience on your part to train any dog. If a person has the patience I think any dog could hunt pheasant or duck, within reason. If they can swim for ducks or not bust pheasant up to far in front of the hunter. You would have to teach them to hunt close.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

it really depends on the dog. i've had 4 different labs......a chocolate, a black, and 2 chocolates (@ same time). the first chocolate shed alot in the spring when he lost his winter coat, the black didn't shed too, too much, and the last 2 chocolates also shed heavily with their winter coats.

don't know about huskys for retrievin.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #4

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

You can basically train any dog to do any other dog's job IF you have the knowhow to do it. Some dogs are more difficult to train, but a true failure in training is always the owner's fault.

From my experience, how much a lab sheds depends a lot on his diet, and it's health. As well as its breeding. In my experience labs from English lines tend to shed a little less than those from American lines. Regardless, keep them healthy, and give them a good brushing two to three times a week paying special attention to the undercoat, and don't bathe them unless they really need it.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6765 Times on 4088 Posts
Likes Given: 8099

I don't believe a Siberian Husky can be taught to hunt.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #6

The husky is a very driven, high energy, intelligent, dog that handles the cold well and can swim amazingly well. Have you ever seen a husky fetch? Im sure you have.

Hunting is a natural thing for any dog. It is what they evolved to do. Chase down and kill food, and in many cases, bring it back to the pack.

Not exactly hunting, but ya get the point.

And at least this one has a prey drive.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-12-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #7

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

The husky looks like a very smart dog, he had a plan of attack to circle out and come in full speed instead of bolting straight in after them. Playing fetch is a good way to get any dog to retrieve, reward them for bringing the ball back with a treat.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by tri70; 09-12-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Yes labs do shed a lot. Coat maintenance is key.

Huskys could be taught to hunt, but thats not what they are bred for. Specific breeds have specific tendencies due to select breeding. decide what you want your dog to do and then find a breed for the task.

I wont EVER suggest "treat" training. When you start down that path you end up with a fat, spoiled dog. Reward them with love. When they do right, scrub the ears or other favorite spot (for the beast) very well with an exagerated happy tone of voice. When they do wrong use an exagerated mad voice.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

Fat and lazy is right.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Fat and lazy is right.

My point is...when you train them to food, they become conditioned to every time they listen to a command, they expect food. If you train them with love, they become conditioned to every time they listen to a command, they get a pat on the head...which is easier?

Look at it this way, when afield, do you want to carry 5 lbs of treats, or your hand?

Training them to positive/negative feedback is just as easy and effective as food.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!