Hunting Course Germany - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Hunting Course Germany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8247 Times on 4249 Posts
Likes Given: 9495

Wow Jager, thats nuts! To pay 2000 eu's for the right to feed ones family is a federal lord of the manor tax. I took my 2 night course in the mid 70's at a local Rod and Gun, I think it was about $5.00 back then (I thought that was high). Germany makes NY look good! Im half Kraut (Werner) and Half Scottish (Wallace), the Scot in me may be replying here!

The parts about having to have trained dogs and join clubs seems pretty uppity also, like the Britts, money will buy you rights where the lack of it will ensure you cant have what the rich have. Sadly, those with money dont really need the food or the pelts, but I know lots of poor folks that feed their families in large part with hunting. Most of the poor hunters around here can barely afford to feed their families, they probably wont have trained hunting dogs unless they are coon hunters and those are trained on the hunt not purchased as trained. A trained Setter or Spaniel can go $2 or $3K by the time your done, add another $2K for your safety course, permitting fees and taxes and the hungry wont feed themselves with natures bounty, they can only look to the gov for free chow.

The name of the courses your teaching "Hunting equipment and Hunting Firearms" seems odd that they make a separation between hunting and I suppose the other might be Military E & F. Are their rules as to which weapons you can use to hunt with (other than the obvious no Ma Deuce for wabbits)? Our Governor stupidly said, "Nobody need 10 bullets to kill a deer", (we already had a law for decades that said you could only have six rounds available in a weapon to hunt deer). Are you also restricted on the magazine size?

I hate the aristocrat approach to rights that has become so popular everwhere, like the rich can somehow be trusted because they have more to lose. Money doesnt buy rights, were born with them. Saying only the rich may use them is ludicrous. Few people now a days have an extra $5K to get into hunting to feed their families. If they had the extra money, they might likely take a vacation than go trapping and hunting in the coldest of weather just to live.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

To hunt large game you need a bullet that is 6.5 mm and travels 2000 joules at 100 meters. That is a .270 minimum.
You can hunt Roe deer and smaller game with a bullet that travels 1000 joules at 100 meters. No bullet size is mentioned.
To hunt with a semi-auto you can have one in the pipe, but only a two round magazine. So three rounds. I had to buy extra two round mags before the German government allowed me to purchase my AR. I can still keep the twenty round mags it came with though.
For a bolt action rifle, you can have as many rounds as the rifle can hold.
You can not hunt with pistol rounds, bows or crossbows. You can use your pistol for a final shot or if charged by an animal.

Hunting firearms took the whole class. There was plenty of hand ons with various rifles and pistols. We talked about safety, laws, calibers, requirements, etc. The hunting equipment is just that. Everything you would need outside of firearms. There is a seperate class on rules and regulations. I already trained and qualified all the students on the pistol. Other trainers are doing shotgun and rifle.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Jagermeister, your post brings back old and very fond memories for me. I was stationed in Germany and managed to ride the reenlist PDA for 10 years. For six of those years I was a certified hunting instructor for the armed forces and taught many classes at my Rod and Gun Club in Bamberg. I still to this day drink my beer with my left hand so as to keep my trigger finger free. Weidmannsheil
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My wife has learned to always hand me a drink on the left side. Happy to meet a fellow instructor. I am going on a solo hunt tomorrow. I have a drive hunt these Sunday. The same thing next week. Hunting all Reh, all Wildschwein, fuchs, dachs and mouflon. Waidmannsheil.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

No more(?) requirements for traditional hunting dress? (My apologies if I already asked this question before memory is fleeting right now)

Become steel or get cut.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No, not any more. Hunters are even wearing camo now. You are expected to dress in greens and browns though.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
To hunt large game you need a bullet that is 6.5 mm and travels 2000 joules at 100 meters. That is a .270 minimum.
You can hunt Roe deer and smaller game with a bullet that travels 1000 joules at 100 meters. ......

When I get married, I want lots of Joules!

What is this Joules you speak of? English man, English Me no sprekken z doitch.
People Like This 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Very funny Anna. Since I have lots of Joules already....

Well anyways, I am going to spend the weekend with a pistol on my hip and a rifle over my shoulder. Thank God! The government can kiss my Italian ass. I am escaping!!!!!

AirCavBob Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #19

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
When I get married, I want lots of Joules!

What is this Joules you speak of? English man, English Me no sprekken z doitch.
1 joule = 0.7375621 ft lbs
People Like This 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #20

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

WOW!!! I just joined this forum but I'm enjoying it already. I never even considered what hunting would be like in other areas of the world. Where I live, I'm 20 minutes from hunting deer and a few elk. As long as I have my tags I'm good to go. Anything from a .243 up is all the rifle you need. I hunt mostly with a longbow and I see you cant hunt with a bow at all in Germany!!!! My formal firearms training came in the military and there was plenty of it there!! I used to hunt in Canada but now I hear its so restrictive that it's no fun anymore. I think the idea of a good tracking dog is a very good thing as most of the hunters I am familiar with couldn't track a blood trail on fresh snow. This is going to be FUN!!! FRJ