Hunting on the cheap near DFW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting on the cheap near DFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 505 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default Hunting on the cheap near DFW

Hey all.

I would like to get into hunting. The problem is that information about hunting around DFW hasn't been easy to come by. So far all I have found is some vague and unhelpful information on some local state parks and some hog hunting ranches that want to charge me about $250 a hog plus $200 for just showing up. (Sidenote: Really? When we have an epidemic of wild hogs you want ME to pay YOU? Nope!)

I'm most interested in hog hunting or coyote hunting as these are local menaces. Rabbit hunting would be interesting as well. Any information on how I could do this on the cheap would be appreciated. I'm really not looking to spend $200 to go hunting, though I wouldn't mind paying $30 to $50 just to access some land. That seems reasonable to me.

I do have a friend who has some land out near Abeline but so far we haven't been able to make a trip work. He would be more than happy to have me come shoot some hogs for him.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1574 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Hunting on the cheap isn't easy to find anywhere. Given you have no connections the best you can hope for is a grand a year to be part of a hunting club that pools their money to lease land. I lived in the metroplex 30 years ago and hunting opportunities were rare then. We used to have to ride out to Rockwall, TX just to plink. We could have hunted there but we didn't consider the land worth hunting. We never saw any game crossing the road or roadkill. I have to see more than a track here and there to hunt an area.

I was raised in South LA. I would just make the drive to Louisiana and stay there to go hunting.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1574 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 540

There is public land you can hunt near the metroplex. Your budget is so tight I am not sure it is in your reach. I can walk out the door and start hunting here in NC. I end up spending $30 a day on eats, gatorade, gas, ammo and anything else that pops up.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/maps/

I buy an atlas and gazetteer for every state I hunt in. They are inexpensive. You can expect to find back roads and hiking trails, even some logging paths included on the topographical map.
http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/0899333206/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1377103120&sr=8-21&keywords=delorme+atlas+%26+gazetteer

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

You can hunt on several Corps of Engineer properties around North Texas,but in most areas,it's Bow hunting only. You also have to pay a fee to hunt them,and in certain areas it's also done by a draw.
Check with the Trinity River Authority about hunting areas,and also the Tx.Parks and Wildlife dept. They list all of the state owned hunting lands on their website.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Hunt the net for farm supply stores out around Weatherford/ Mineral Wells. Then drive out, and talk with the folks. Odds are they will be able to refer you to someone that would like coyotes thinned, etc. Get OUT of DFW and talk to folks in the small towns and villages.

Use some manners- do not leave gates other than as you found them, police brass, ask folks WHERE on their property it is ok to shoot. And thank them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hunt the net for farm supply stores out around Weatherford/ Mineral Wells. Then drive out, and talk with the folks. Odds are they will be able to refer you to someone that would like coyotes thinned, etc. Get OUT of DFW and talk to folks in the small towns and villages.

Use some manners- do not leave gates other than as you found them, police brass, ask folks WHERE on their property it is ok to shoot. And thank them.
C3,Unless your from the smaller rural areas around here and know the folks around there,there's little chance of any farmer/rancher letting you hunt on their property for free/or at all.
Almost all of them lease their property for hunting,if they allow people there at all.
I go to a whole bunch of farms/ranches everyday working on the oil/gas wells,and have yet been able to talk any of the landowners into letting me hunt on their land for free.
They all want you to pay them big money to hunt any type of critters on their land,and I'm in pretty good with several of them.

Money talks,and bullsh!t walks...

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club