Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunting Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 685 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Hunting Canada

I've been looking for info on hunting caribou (or about anything else for that matter) in Canada but can’t find anything but info for guided hunts. A caribou with them runs $5,000 to $8,000. WTF??? That can’t be the only way to hunt. I don’t mind shelling out a few grand for my two sons to hunt but there has to be a do-it-yourself guide out there somewhere.
Driving from Michigan. Getting two kids and at least two fire arms into Canada. Getting a hunting license for at least two kids; maybe me, shooting some larger critters, and getting said critters over the boarder back into Michigan.
Any links or info anyone could offer would be stellar.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20894 Times on 11878 Posts
Likes Given: 52454

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I've been looking for info on hunting caribou (or about anything else for that matter) in Canada but can’t find anything but info for guided hunts. A caribou with them runs $5,000 to $8,000. WTF??? That can’t be the only way to hunt. I don’t mind shelling out a few grand for my two sons to hunt but there has to be a do-it-yourself guide out there somewhere.
Driving from Michigan. Getting two kids and at least two fire arms into Canada. Getting a hunting license for at least two kids; maybe me, shooting some larger critters, and getting said critters over the boarder back into Michigan.
Any links or info anyone could offer would be stellar.
i would contact some Canadian game outfitters and see what it takes to get the ball rolling. since now you have to have a passport to get into Canada, it may be harder to get guns across the border to hunt with. hunters may rent or borrow guns from outfitters now instead of taking their own across the border.

wish i could have been more help.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I few buddies went to upper sashatchewan this year. Deer that were seen were monsters overall but the owner gave them the option before hand say'n that Canada as a hole has had a couple years of awful weather with some major game die offs. The carabou herds where heavily killed back too. Snow was so deep deer were simply snowed in and died were they were .

The carabou info is easy to find if you look. This page-
http://www.bing.com/search?q=%20carabou%20die%20offs

Check out some deer on the site below , Buck Paradise Outfitters. My buddy Bob killed a 350 pound deer there and it was only one of two seen in a week. 2 others saw nothing and a 3rd guy, Keith kill the only deer he saw. It was the end of november and temps were between -35* and -50*. Cold enough.

This is Bobs deer- http://buckparadise.com/gallery3/index.php/2013-Whitetail-Season/Bob-Wood-Buck-2013

My buddies advise was to wait a couple years to see how the deer and caribou rebond before planning a trip. I have been up there a couple times but Bob has been for the last 10 years. Not next year. Back to usa hunting.

For whats its worth they all fly in there own rifles with no issues. The flight out of the northern us into Canada are always 95% hunters. They had only 4 non hunters on there flight and they were locals.

Last edited by hardluk1; 02-04-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Never hunted Canadians..They good eatin'?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 02-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 514

I spent a small fortune on a guided elk hunt back in the 80s. It was worth every penny. At the time my only hunting experience was driving deer with dogs. The guide had a plane. He flew us into the mountains in an hour. If I had made the trip on horseback it would have taken a couple days and I would have needed the national guard to rescue my stupid ass.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 02-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #6

Liked 685 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Good info all and thanks for the links.
I'm interested in others input as well. Keep them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #7

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 49 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I hear you can bait them with Molson Ale

Old 02-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 446 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Labatt's Blue works better,,,, When my father was alive, we leased 3 lots from Algoma properties up in Ontario for a very decent yearly rate, you could put up a camp,, cabin to us Yanks,, and improve the land pretty much any way you saw fit. We were on Lake Anjigami,, between Hawk Junction and Chapeleau,, you had to buy a non-resident license but could hunt anywhere in the district that your lease was located without an outfitter. My father and brother both took moose, I never got any shots during those years, but we caught lots of fish, took many grouse, etc. I do not know if that policy is still in effect. That could be an option you my want to check out. Algoma owns most of Ontario it seems except for Crown land, we were lucky,, we met some outstanding folks there that ran a sawmill and they helped us a great deal with putting in a road, timber needs, getting in touch with the proper people at the Ministry on legal and banking matters, etc. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5881 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 6233

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
They taste like chicken from what Ive heard!

Old 02-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #10

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

There's not much you'll be able to hunt without a guide - in western Canada, anyway. I don't know anything about the East and don't care to.

The western Outfitters associations donate to political parties and have lobbied hard and successfully to protect their financial interests in every province; more successfully in B.C. probably.

It's not just Americans, either. I live in Alberta. I cannot get a sheep tag in B.C. unless I hire a B.C. outfitter. Caribou might not be that protected but it wouldn't surprise me.

Outfitters flat-out buy tags for moose, elk, sheep here in AB and then use them to charge foreigners to hunt. Meanwhile, I am going into year 7 trying to get drawn for a moose tag in the area I hunt.

Anyway, there's more Mountain Caribou in B.C. than anywhere else in Canada, I believe. Here's a link to info on hunting in B.C.:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

It's a lot to wade through. One thing I disliked when I lived in B.C. was that they have a zillion tiny hunting zones and it's a nuisance keeping track of it all.

One of these years, I want to hire an outfitter. The idea of somebody putting up my camp, cooking for me, washing the dishes, doing all the scouting and then gutting/skinning my animal sounds downright sinful.

As hardluk1 says, we've had some miserable winters and this one has been a doozy. Lots of snow and cold as he!!. The wife saw 4 moose at the end of the driveway yesterday and there's more and more deer hanging around the roads where they can walk. They look thin and hungry. Poor buggers. Now the coyotes will find it easier to kill the deer. In the mountains, wolves will take many ungulates....then bears in the spring. Yeah, it could be tough hunting for a while. I'd guess we'll see more and more areas with limited hunting this fall - here and B.C. and SK. Not sure about MB. Like I said, I don't pay attention to anything east of MB - all of that's outside the fence as far as I'm concerned.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 02-08-2014 at 04:00 AM.