Hunter's Education class.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hunter's Education class.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hunter's Education class.

I feel like it's going to be nothing I don't already know, but you can always learn something new. I have opted to take the home version, which really isn't a home version since I still have to go and take the final test somewhere. The work book they have sent me is 32 pages long, and is fill in the blank. however there is about 100+ questions.

I thought this would be a little bit easier on me, because I am a student during the day, work all night, then weekends I have little down time. That is kind of why I opted for the home version instead of the 8 hour class. I am going to suck it up and do as much as I can every chance I get. I am just kind of worried about the final test... as I am with any test.

I would like to find out how many questions are there? How detailed are the questions?(some of the stuff in the work book breaks down shotguns, rifles, revolvers, semi-automatic pistols, even ammo.) I know it should just be common sense type things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you know a little about guns, and a little about safety, your likely going to pass.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
If you know a little about guns, and a little about safety, your likely going to pass.
As long as I don't have to know the inner workings of the guns I am fine.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Brush up on it as well as you can.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The class is easy, will make you think about things. When I went to take mine ( required in SC) i did not think I would learn anything but alas I did. I picked up a few good pointers on hunting also. the best part of the class was the wife went with me because it was close to a vacation spot and even though she did not want to do anything with hunting, she signed up to do it with me. After she was in the class for 8 hours with the DNR and other hunters, and learning more about the taking of game, she actually wants to go dove hunting with me when we get back from my tour of duty in Korea.
The class was fun, and helpful with any questions we had. You will enjoy it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

Liked 304 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I took mine yrs ago.
It had animal ID, rifle, handgun, muzzleloader, archery, political history of sporting law (Pittman Robertson Act stuff) and safety. There was some gun history too (minor).
The only issue I had was with 2 questions on the final.
The answers the state wanted were INCORRECT (back then)............so to get a 100 you had to answer two questions wrong (but the instuctor told us how the state had messed those up).
I already knew all the material, but it was enjoyable to go to the class.
I got a 100, my dad got 97 or 98...........and he became an instructor after that. 32 yrs ago.

Got a 100 on my NRA class for rifle team back then too, and a few yrs later out of HS took my Bowhunter Education class, got a 100% there too.

Now the fake blood trail in the woods was FUN! Aced it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #7

I've helped with a few classes, the kids are fun to watch. They soak up the info like a sponge.
Unfortunately some folks in attendance, adult, teen and younger..............fail to give me the warm fuzzies.
There are some pretty stupid people in this world and some of them go afield.
Scary.
Not just the idea of them with guns out and about, but with their limited brain power how did they get to the class?

Oh...................they drove a multithousand pound chunk of machinery down a ROAD!!!!!!!

Thankfully these types are the minority, but still I was amazed at how there were always a couple of freakin' morons in attendance.
You just know they, by being stoopid, are going to hurt somebody somewhere, hunting or not hunting.

Education can help reduce accidents, makes people who can think, think, and maybe refresh their ideas of safety or bring them to the forefront.
That is a good thing.

But many folks think that merely taking a class causes some magical transformation in a person.

A class is just a class.

Doesn't mean crap (outside of politics).

For any class to be truly effective it has to be taken by somebody of wanting to learn mindset. Those folks monitor themselves and info, all the time...........always looking to grow/better themselves.

They'd be safe and knowledgeable hunters without the class.

Just a peeve of mine, how today's society openlystates/thinks simply taking a class can solve problems.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

A good class needs good students for a good result.