howa 1500 question!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > howa 1500 question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default howa 1500 question!

hello. new to the forum. i have 2 howa axiom rifles right now.

1. .243 heavy barre bluedl, with a mark optics 10-40 magnification 50 mm objective lens and illuminated mildot reticle. 13-25 harris bipod and handloaded 62 grain barns varmit grenades at 3600fps. weighs 14lbs.

2. 300 win mag. light barrel blued.

my .243 has been amazingly accurace to 300 yards. never tried to stretch it any further as it is just my coyote gun.

my 300 on the otherhand i want to shoot long range, 700+ if needed.

my friend and i have been discussing wether or not the howa is worthy of the money im willing to spend on it. i already have all the toys picked out, just need to know wether i should go ahead with my build or not.

he shoots a tika t3 lite 300 rum, and is a huge fan of the t3. has never shot a howa.

my setup, for whatever rifle will be the following.

blue diamond huskemaw 5-20 scope, ranged and custom turreted to 800+yards.

harris 9-13 swivel bipod with pod lock.

caldwell wind meter,

muzzle break,

leupod rx-1000 tbr,

(if howa a timney trigger set to 1 and 1/2 lb pull)

scope coat and sun shade for the scope.

let me know if the howa will do or if i should sell and look for another route.

p.s. for those who dont know the axiom stock is an adjustable length pull with a pistol grip and built in recoil supression and completely free floated barrel.

both my howas are blacked out.

thnaks in advance... let me know if im doin the right thing or if i should change something... or everything.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Howa is a good rifle, as is the Tikka.

But, for the money, a Savage bull bbl is the way to go.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Howa is a good rifle, as is the Tikka.

But, for the money, a Savage bull bbl is the way to go.
But it is a hunter!
I have both Savage and Howa.
My Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag is great for 500 yards. It get dicey after that as would any caliber and a cold bore 1st shot. It has a really thin barrel and is a sierra lite.
On game, 500 yards is actually past where I would shoot from these days. 400 yards would be a very long shot.

The Howa w/ its' heavy barrel can reach out and punch targets at 700 yards without problems. I put a lower powered scope on it to make it more Hunter friendly. It wears a 3-12x42mmAO now. I fell in love w/ this rifle the 1st time I shot it. 1 ragged hole at 100 yards. I can't find ammo or a load it does not shoot well.

If you are looking to punch paper w/ the howa, get a heavy barrel. For a hunter you are good to go.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have a Howa 300 win mag. Love it. Working up a long range system with it right now.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It just occurred to me that if my buddy told me he was basing his decision on what some random guy on the Internet said he liked, I'd call him a stupid ass. He's a little more on why I went with a Howa. I went with a Howa 300 win mag for my long range set up. Because you said huskamaw scope, I'm guessing your familiar with the best of the west, and Berger bullets. The Howa 300 win mag is a full length magnum action, like a 300 weatherby mag, not a shorter 30-06 length, and will allow you to seat your bullets out longer. The tikka has a standard 30-06 length action. The Howa has a flat bottom reciever, the tikka (my wife has a tikka .243) does to, but there isn't near the bedding surface of the Howa. Howa make the weatherby vanguard line, good enough for weatherby, good enough for this cowboy.

Wait, was this thing on?

Last edited by theropinfool; 01-24-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

should i be spending the money on a muzzle break to reduce barrel jump and better re aquisition....??? its only 250$ and is removeable.. my .243 howa is deadly accurate.... but theres not enough pop from the hand loads to kick it. my 110 pound girl friend shoots gophers at 200 yards with it. and says it is like shooting a 22.lr but i know the 300 win mag is gonna kick lots more, even with the recoil reduction system, any suggestions on muzzle break make? or venting? up ? sides? a picture of ones suggested if suggested would be a plus.. thanks guys.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a Howa Axion .308 heavy barrel. It shoots verrry well. You should have an adjustable trigger in you rifle. Mine is set pretty light and that helps make small groups. With your .300 having a light barrel, it isn't the optimal gun for long range, although it is capable of it. I wouldn't mess with a muzzle break unless you have a terrible time controlling the rifle after you shoot. A muzzle break will increase the noise coming back to you quite a bit. A good bipod and a good scope are all worth the money. I'm using a Nikko Stirling on mine and think it does a great job. Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That 300 will kick like a mule, everything has to be so light these days. I had a brake put on mine, but a local guy built and installed it. It did tame it down to about a 25-06 level. Ya they're noisy, but if your shooting long range, your not going for multiple shots unless you screwed the pooch, so I don't see the noise being an issue either way.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I shoot my Howa 1500, 30-06 at 600 yards now, and it is stock except for the rings and mounts. Go for it!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This may be an old school answer, but then I am old. I have several Howa’s and they all shoot extremely well at distance. Having said that, they are also all not “out of the box” Howa’s. All have been re-barreled with match grade heavy barrels, actions tuned, triggers replaced, stocks replaced and properly pillar bedded (except for one in 300 Rem SAUM in an Axiom stock with CDI’s magazine feed conversion) and with scopes properly mounted and trued. My point being that the Howa action makes an excellent base for a long range rifle, but is also adequate as it comes from the factory though the light barrel may be less than optimum for 700 yds plus. The fun comes in making it the best that it can be, and that means going beyond the “bolt on” items. Then there is the load development to get the most accuracy. I know that this route can be very expensive and requires knowledgeable gunsmiths, which are becoming unfortunately harder and harder to find, but well worth the time and money for the ultimate in a long range rifle. Just my opinion and worth all of two cents.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Last edited by alxltd1; 02-11-2012 at 01:15 PM.