How to start deer hunting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How to start deer hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default How to start deer hunting?

My dad was telling me that he wants to take me deer hunting next season but he hasn't gone deer hunting in more than 15 years and I have no clue about it either. All I know is basically, get your tags and permits and what not and find out state laws. He said hell ask some of his buddies who hunt and told me to find out some info. What can you guys tell me about deer hunting, getting into it, good calibers, budget deer riles, common rules or tips etc.
Thanks

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
My dad was telling me that he wants to take me deer hunting next season but he hasn't gone deer hunting in more than 15 years and I have no clue about it either. All I know is basically, get your tags and permits and what not and find out state laws. He said hell ask some of his buddies who hunt and told me to find out some info. What can you guys tell me about deer hunting, getting into it, good calibers, budget deer riles, common rules or tips etc.
Thanks
It would be better for you to learn from a friend or a family member rather than people telling you. Im sure your father knows what caliber to use an how to dress for the season. Just take someone who is a legit hunter that goes by your state's rules an regs..

Old 12-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1638

Simplified:

1) Find an appropriate caliber/platform for your hunting environment. Add optics that work well for you, sight-in and practice with your gun until you can reliably place shots within a 9 inch circle at 75 - 100 yds.

2) Find property to hunt and scout it out. After the seasons are over, scouting your proposed hunting area is a great way to find out what game remains. Wait until after a fresh rain/snow to go look for tracks, scat and shed antlers. Scout throughout the year to learn the seasonal patterns of deer. Concentrate on thickets and food sources, in dry country focus on water sources. Buy a good set of binoculars and park at the edges of large open areas at dusk and watch for game and patterns.

3)Practice with your weapon regularly.

4)Learn and practice scent hygiene.

5) Practice with you weapon regularly.

6) Practice "spot and stalk", "stump sitting", hanging tree stands and tree stand safety, still hunting and blind hunting techniques. Learn to sit still and silent, moving just your eyes and head as much as poss.

6) Scout some more.

7) Learn proper field dressing and get in shape to hunt and remove your game from the field.

8)Practice with your weapon regularly.

9) Scout some more.

I think you get it, there's way more but those are some of the basics.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Grab bow and quiver, hit woods.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Most of this is good advice however I generally think one should strive to be as accurate as possible when target shooting, practice with your rifle and use proper shooting technique as far as squeezing the trigger and proper breathing, strive to shoot as accurately as your equipment will allow. If all I could shoot is a 9 inch group I wouldn't consider myself proficient enough to be in the woods shooting an animal, not even with open sites.

Sent from my XT1080 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Find someone who has been hunting near the area you plan to hunt. Knowing the territory and what kind of game numbers are around, along with the food, water and bedding areas is the gold that needs to be mined for a better chance at success. You can learn some of the basic skills from your father. But the up to date info on terrain and game activity needs to be found by scouting or talking to someone who has scouted.

Time in the woods in advance also let's you know what kind of distances you may have to take. That will help on gun and caliber selection. Current info may also give you an idea of how far you want to pack an animal out.

If you are hunting in California, a .308, 7-08, .270, or .30-06, in a light bolt action gives you pretty good versatility for some of the brushy areas, as well as the ability to take advantage of some of the open draws.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
My dad was telling me that he wants to take me deer hunting
Time with your dad is the key here. Make sure you enjoy that. Whether you get a deer or not, that is not what you will remember 20 years from now or after your dad is gone.

Lots of good hunting advice given here. But remember what is really important- at the end of the day I'd give anything for ten minutes with my dad (he's been gone since 1988 ). Lucky for me one of my sons is as crazy about hunting as I am!
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #8

Liked 927 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Go play in the woods and fields. Read what you can and enjoy being out there whether you are successful or not. All the advice we can give you isn't worth a hoot for where you may be hunting. Learn your gun and enjoy your time with your dad and be prepared if and when the time comes. I wish my dad was still here to hunt with. Looking back on it I think we had more fun our first few years when success was slim as when we started having more success.

We laughed at our mistakes, enjoyed being together and tried to learn something on every trip. Now he is gone and I kill a descent buck plus a bunch of does every year. Almost to easy with WAY more deer know than years ago. Relax and have fun as that is the reason you are going isn't it?

PS I chain smoke cigs and wear old spice deoderant when hunting. Keep the wind in your face and it doesn't matter what you smell like. Kills me to watch guys spend tons of money on scent free clothes then stop and pump gas in there truck. Smell there sleeve. HAHAHA Walk through oil all over the ground and think they are scent free. My son usually kills 10 plus with his bow and feels the same way I do.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 12-26-2013 at 11:10 PM.
MaineMan Likes This 
Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 235 Times on 151 Posts

Start with your states Fish and Game department or whatever they call it there. You are probably young enough that you will have to take hunters education to be able to get a license.

They can also give you good advice on proper weapons to use locally.

I hunt in the mountain west, which is typically longer shots across more open terrain. My deer rifle of choice is a 257 Ackley Improved. 120-grain bullets that shoot flat, and hit hard enough to drop deer with one shot.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
Start with your states Fish and Game department or whatever they call it there. You are probably young enough that you will have to take hunters education to be able to get a license.

They can also give you good advice on proper weapons to use locally.

I hunt in the mountain west, which is typically longer shots across more open terrain. My deer rifle of choice is a 257 Ackley Improved. 120-grain bullets that shoot flat, and hit hard enough to drop deer with one shot.
^^^^^^^^^^^What He Said^^^^^^^^^^

When all else fails.