Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How possible/probable is it that a hunter mistook a horse for a deer?

View Poll Results: Is it likely that a person could mistake an adult horse +rider for a white-tail deer?
Not at all likely 46 80.70%
Somewhat likely 8 14.04%
Likely to very likely 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is not so much the poachers that give hunters a bad name; it’s the morons who are pretty much the topic of this thread. It is the ones who trespass, tear down no hunting signs, leave gates open, shoot at anything that moves and have no regard for other people’s rights or property. Just this morning a group of pheasant hunters were hunting on a farm without permission a mile up the road from us and were smoking in a field of unpicked corn. One mental giant dropped a lit cigar when a bird flushed that set the field on fire. It is things like this that gives hunters a bad name. There are thousands of good, honest and conscientious hunters in this country and just as many who should never have a gun in their hands much less hunt.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
I didn't know there was even a population of elk in North Carolina, are they trying to build it up to preserve, or to hunt? I've heard elk are a difficult game to hunt and I think that would be fun.
There is a small population of elk in the mountains an they are trying to grow the numbers. You can't hunt them as of yet. Although, in the past if you want to bring an animal back to population the fastest way has been to let people hunt it. Hunters are the best conservationists around!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Now, if you are using a scope, how do you NOT notice the fact that the animals have tack and gear and OH, I don't know, PEOPLE on them???

The story had better include drugs &/or alcohol...
No, this goober was close enough to be using a shotty, i bleve; they got hit with buckshot.

I did see that they drew some blood from the crackshot for testing.

Crap like this is what will eventually get the anti-'s to call for guncams like some PD's have in their tazers to be installed on all weapons. That is not my idea of tacticool.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From my way of thinking they should have drawn all the blood from this fool

Old 11-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
There is a small population of elk in the mountains an they are trying to grow the numbers. You can't hunt them as of yet. Although, in the past if you want to bring an animal back to population the fastest way has been to let people hunt it. Hunters are the best conservationists around!
I can understand letting the population build up first though, thats good news though I will definitely do this sometime when it becomes legal to hunt elk, Ive heard from guys at work that have done it that its challenging. a lot different than deer hunting.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Reminds me of an article in "Georgia Outdoor News" a few years ago of a guy who shot another hunter off his tree stand since he thought he was a turkey.
of course, turkey hunting in only legal in the spring.
No ethical hunter should take a shot at any living animal without first identifying it and then picking the proper spot for an ethical quick kill.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
People who screw up when hunting should also.

1. Pay a big fine.
2. Do at least a year in jail.
3. Be banned from hunting in every state.
4. Never again be allowed to own a firearm
You are obviously very passionate about your opinions and I respect that, however, I only partially agree with your post.

1. Yes, people who screw up hunting should pay a big fine.
2. Jail time should be determined based on the degree of negligence and degree of bodily injury and/or property damage and only when convicted by a jury of his or her peers (hopefully there will be some responsible hunters on the jury).
3. Banned for a set period of time based, again, on degree of negligence.
4. They should be required to take a hunter education course and firearms safety training. This person MAY have to defend their home or life from an armed violent criminal.

Again, I appreciate your passion for safety but let's not miss the forrest for the trees here.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I posted that it isn't likely. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen because it obviously happens quite a bit. However, what IS the issue here is responsibility and ethics. People who take shots without proper target identification or observation of their fields of fire are obviously not responsible or ethical hunters. They do have the right to hunt, as last time I checked this is a free country but with that right also comes the responsibility to hunt with due care and to hunt ethically. It is only when someone does NOT take the time to properly identify their quarry or observie their complete field of fire is when we hear about it in the drive-by media. Hunters acting ethically and responsibly goes against their agenda and therefore those stories will go unpublished.

Last edited by kusterleXD; 12-01-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It goes without saying that the penalties I purposed hinged upon a trial and conviction for whatever crime one might commit while afield. Shooting a person or destroying another’s property, livestock and animals are considered property, are felonies and upon conviction one forfeits the right to ever again own a firearm. After hunting and shooting for about 62 years I have come to the conclusion that accidents evolving a gun are few and far between and most of what all to often passes as an accident in nothing more than negligence and gross stupidity on the part of the perpetrator. Criminal negligence is a felony.

I live in an area where people go to great lengths to protect themselves and their property not from home invaders but the so-called hunters. I know of several people who restrict their children to within 100 feet of their homes and dress them in blaze orange when they go out to play during the hunting seasons. We see things from the other side of the fence.

Having spent 44 years in or connected to law enforcement and being married to an attorney I am painfully aware of the recidivism rate among offenders and strongly believe the same holds true with the careless or inept hunter. A few years ago I was shot at while out hunting, thank god the idiot shot about as well as he could think and he missed, and believe me it was a real wakeup call as to the potential danger one faces in the field. One assumes a huge responsibility when carrying a weapon that potentially puts another in harms way in public and to disregard that responsibility should result in the severest of penalties.

By the way the moron who shot his five-year-old son up here this spring thinking the kid was a turkey was an instructor in a hunting safety program.

Walley

Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a prime example of what people who live in the country have to fear.

SOUTH HUNTINGDON TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- Three domesticated deer were shot on a South Huntingdon Township farmer's land, and the property owner believes it was no accident.
Early Wednesday morning, a trespasser crossed the line when he opened fire on three bucks that were trapped inside a fence, posted with signs that read "No Hunting," authorities said.
State police describe what took place on Leskosek's farm as an act of animal cruelty.
"There's no way (the hunter) didn't see the fence. He just walked up and shot the deer in the pen," said deer farmer Donald Leskosek. "I just can't figure out what kind of person would do something like that."
Leskosek has been breeding the docile creatures for 12 years. Each animal is worth about $5,000, he said. Police said that two of the animals were asleep when they were shot.
"I was having a cup of coffee and I heard three shots.When I got outside, I found two dead deer about 8 feet apart, and a third one was dying when I got back here," said Leskosek.
Leskosek said he is certain that the shooter knew that what he was doing was wrong.
"I really enjoy raising animals and something like this makes me pretty angry. I have no clue who would do this, but they would have to be pretty deranged," the farmer said. "Three deer, three shots. There's no accident. I just hope they catch the guy."
Investigators have retrieved a bullet and are currently doing ballistics testing.