Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How possible/probable is it that a hunter mistook a horse for a deer?

View Poll Results: Is it likely that a person could mistake an adult horse +rider for a white-tail deer?
Not at all likely 46 80.70%
Somewhat likely 8 14.04%
Likely to very likely 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There is no way you could mistake a horse for a deer. I agree with JD, story is total BS. Average white tail deer is in the 125# area, a monster would be 225ish. Horse? 1000 and up. You ever seen a 1400# deer? Then you shot it twice and missed the kill zone by a solid 4 feet? BS!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why do you feel that it is impossible for some idiot to mistake a horse for a deer? Take the time and research the literature and you will find that it is not an isolated event. Every year horses, cows, donkeys, mules, goats, dogs and people are shot by fools who should never been allowed to be out hunting in the first place. This spring, near here, a father shot his five-year-old son thinking that he was a turkey. Two years ago, during the muzzle-loading season, someone shot and wounded a 2000 lb. Belgian draft horse that was laying down in a field just south of me. I am soon to be 72 years old and now I will only hunt on private land because of all the well-armed morons out on the public land. Last time I was out there a would be deer assassin took a shot at me but luckily missed. Yes I had a blaze orange vest and cap on.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Why do you feel that it is impossible for some idiot to mistake a horse for a deer? Take the time and research the literature and you will find that it is not an isolated event. Every year horses, cows, donkeys, mules, goats, dogs and people are shot by fools who should never been allowed to be out hunting in the first place. This spring, near here, a father shot his five-year-old son thinking that he was a turkey. Two years ago, during the muzzle-loading season, someone shot and wounded a 2000 lb. Belgian draft horse that was laying down in a field just south of me. I am soon to be 72 years old and now I will only hunt on private land because of all the well-armed morons out on the public land. Last time I was out there a would be deer assassin took a shot at me but luckily missed. Yes I had a blaze orange vest and cap on.
I've heard the stories you're talking about and I know it happens. Maybe my post wasn't clear. Let's say he mistook the horse for a deer and tried to shoot it. He missed, twice and killed 2 people? I call BS on the deer/horse story.
Just a few years ago here in NC, some idiot shot an elk thinking it was a deer. He got in HUGE trouble because they're trying to bring them back into population here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #14

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I voted that it is not at all likely, but hat does not mean it doesn't happen.

Living in NY i can say without a doubt that their are quite a few people who have no business handling a firearm, even more so during hunting season. It has happened on more than one occasion that someone has been shot/killed because some other "hunter" shot them, mistaking them for whatever game they were after. A few years ago a father killed his own son, shooting at movement behind brush.

In my opinion, if you are licensed to hunt a specific game and end up shooting/killing something other than that game than 2 things should happen,

1. That person should never be licensed to hunt again.
2. That person should have any.all firearms taken away from them.

Stupid people doing stupid **** with firearms is what makes it so harder on the rest of us.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

People who screw up when hunting should also.

1. Pay a big fine.
2. Do at least a year in jail.
3. Be banned from hunting in every state.
4. Never again be allowed to own a firearm

Old 11-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

"The mother and child were among several horseback riders who were on Big Foot horse trail, a 21-mile stretch through piney woods. The trail is designated for horse riding and hiking. Much of the trail is near public roads, where shooting is prohibited"

Okay. Don't get hung so much on whether a hunter COULD mistake a horse for an deer/elk.

This was a 10 year old girl and her mom in a RIDING PARTY.

Now, if you are using a scope, how do you NOT notice the fact that the animals have tack and gear and OH, I don't know, PEOPLE on them???

And, if you aren't using a scope, how do you NOT have such a field of view that you don't notice that this is a RIDING PARTY of people on horses???

The story had better include drugs &/or alcohol to even make this ridiculous story plausible as to how it happened, otherwise this guy needs to be brought up on attempted murder charges.

JD

Old 11-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Just a few years ago here in NC, some idiot shot an elk thinking it was a deer. He got in HUGE trouble because they're trying to bring them back into population here.
I didn't know there was even a population of elk in North Carolina, are they trying to build it up to preserve, or to hunt? I've heard elk are a difficult game to hunt and I think that would be fun.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

It has probably been about 15 yrs ago,that a hunter here in Tx. shot a woman in the arse with a 30-30 while she was hanging laundry on her clothes line in her back yard. He thought she was a turkey,she was evidently bent over the laundry basket.
Stuff like this happens,people that are novice hunters and get buck fever will shoot at just about anything that moves.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
It has probably been about 15 yrs ago,that a hunter here in Tx. shot a woman in the arse with a 30-30 while she was hanging laundry on her clothes line in her back yard. He thought she was a turkey,she was evidently bent over the laundry basket.
Stuff like this happens,people that are novice hunters and get buck fever will shoot at just about anything that moves.
Is it legal to shoot turkey with a 30-30 in Texas?

Poachers are who give actual hunters a bad name. Just like gangstas give gun owners a bad name. Poachers are worse, because they own guns as well. Effin idiots and criminals.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

I voted very likely. Should not BE very likely, but it is. Some idiots with a hunting license have IQs below room temp (on a really cool day). Some of my family are diary farmers, and hunting season si a nightmare for them. And no, a Holstein looks NOTHING like a white tailed deer.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.