How much can a Bear take? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How much can a Bear take?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

With a handgun it would be easier to run and shoot, maybe slow him down a bit and buy you some time. Shotgun is too close for comfort, plus dealling with the recoil in a panic might lead to a mistake. Bow + Arrow + Dynamite lol Just dont end up like Whyle Coyote. I cant believe those animals would take so much damage before turning away, damn monsters.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

A bear could not take all I have to give.

Oh, we're talking about firearms. My bad.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
A bear could not take all I have to give.

Oh, we're talking about firearms. My bad.
You were that guy in super troopers weren't you?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You were that guy in super troopers weren't you?
I was the guy in Starship Troopers.

Ask Denise Richards. She'll tell ya.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I was the guy in Starship Troopers.

Ask Denise Richards. She'll tell ya.
She mentioned you once to me....didn't seem impressed. Said something about you not taking care of a snake with a 4" gerber but I don't really remember....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 08-19-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
She mentioned you once to me....didn't seem impressed. Said something about you not taking care of a snake with a 4" gerber but I don't really remember....
LOL! Well done, my friend. Well done.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Having only shot 3 bears, all black, and none in a life or death situation I have very little experience. Most of what you get in here is theory not backed up by much experience. I try to learn from the REAL pros in any situation. One of the most experienced bear guide around is an Alaskan name Phil Shoemacker. He is not only experienced but highly firearms knowledgeable and a keen obserever. He wrote an excellent artice in either Rifle or Handloader magazine @ 4 years ago dealing with his experiences with handguns and bears. In his collection he had a large handful of handgun bullets removed from bears, His conclusions are very simple. A 357 and up are capable of stopping an attack ONLY if it the bear is hit in the head or spine and ONLY if very heavy non expanding bullets are used. While a body shot will kill, it wont deture or stop an attack, and what a bear can do in the 5 minute he is alive from a body hit is too gruesome to consider. Again this is not my opinion but conclusions from 40 years of guiding bear hunters. His daughter, also a guide, carries a Smith & Wesson 357 loaded with heavy flat nosed hard cast bullets. I would fly back to Alaska just to meet this man and pick his brain. Experience trumps theory everytime.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
Having only shot 3 bears, all black, and none in a life or death situation I have very little experience. Most of what you get in here is theory not backed up by much experience. I try to learn from the REAL pros in any situation. One of the most experienced bear guide around is an Alaskan name Phil Shoemacker. He is not only experienced but highly firearms knowledgeable and a keen obserever. He wrote an excellent artice in either Rifle or Handloader magazine @ 4 years ago dealing with his experiences with handguns and bears. In his collection he had a large handful of handgun bullets removed from bears, His conclusions are very simple. A 357 and up are capable of stopping an attack ONLY if it the bear is hit in the head or spine and ONLY if very heavy non expanding bullets are used. While a body shot will kill, it wont deture or stop an attack, and what a bear can do in the 5 minute he is alive from a body hit is too gruesome to consider. Again this is not my opinion but conclusions from 40 years of guiding bear hunters. His daughter, also a guide, carries a Smith & Wesson 357 loaded with heavy flat nosed hard cast bullets. I would fly back to Alaska just to meet this man and pick his brain. Experience trumps theory everytime.
I'm sorry Master. I didnt mean to pretend what I was talking about. Next time I'll go find a bear, piss it off and try stopping it with a couple different pistol calibers.

S.S.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
I'm sorry Master. I didnt mean to pretend what I was talking about. Next time I'll go find a bear, piss it off and try stopping it with a couple different pistol calibers.

S.S.
Hello shotgun shooter, I forgot to mention no handgun is my choice for an upset anything. Accurate bullet placement from a handgun is difficult enough when I have time and I am calm. Throw in a bear coming at me faster than a race horse and meaner than my mother-in-law I would want a bullet humane enough to put myself out of my misery. Alot of people are now carring shotguns loaded with slugs when bears are present. Having never shot but one deer with a slug I wonder if anyone online has any experiece with slugs on bears? Anyone out there that can enlighten us?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #20

All of what I'm about to say is purely anecdotal, as I prefer a stout Bowie when contending with grizzlies.

Brenneke slugs are the preferred choice for bear, if shotguns are what you're going with. I've heard of guys dumping a tube of buckshot on brown bears before they went down, and actually finding pellets balled up in the fur, never breaking the skin.

The whole "Best blank for blank" question is a futile one. Stick around long enough, and you hear stories of women taking .44 mag headshots and living, cell phones stopping .45s, etcetera.

The better question might be "What is the bare minimum for______?"