Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How Long Does Your Haul Last?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Adding hog to your harvest will help, pretty sure they can be hunted year round. Then spring turkeys.
There is a season for everything for a reason. People hunt hogs and deer in the fall because the game fattens up on acorns. Unless you have pen type traps for hogs so you can feed them out they will not taste so good in other seasons.

Corn is not cheap anymore. Just 10 years ago you could plant 40 acres of corn for under $500. Now fertilizer is around $800 a ton and you have to have your own equipment to deal with bulk fertilizer. Less than 10 years ago fertilizer was $180 a ton and the farm supply put the fertilizer out for you. You need corn to feed out hogs.

10% of hunters kill 90% of the deer. I hunt with clubs were we drive the deer with dogs. Every hunter has an equal opportunity to get shots. Every season it works out the same way, four or five hunters kill the deer, all the rest of the hunters are there to catch the dogs and tag the deer.

There are a zillion factors to determining where a deer will go. Most people want to go where the last deer was killed in that area. Unless conditions are exactly the same since the last time we hunted that area the deer will go somewhere else.

I killed my first deer at the age of seven. I have had seasons were I killed a limit in three states. I am not sure I can kill enough deer every year to survive. Do you think you can go from never hunted to sustenance hunter over night?

Then you have seasons like this year were no acorns fall. You won't want to eat those deer at every meal. The meat is dry and a lot of it is going to taste like grass. Right now deer are eating so much red winter wheat they all have diarrhea. Sounds appetizing doesn't it?

I would love to see you start hunting and pass the tradition on to your family. But hunting for sport and hunting for a living are two different animals. I would consider hunting for a living after 10 years of hunting for sport.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #22

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like but I usually get one or two deer a year. I haven't even been this year and probably wont get to at all. I was born and raised in the rural south but I wont eat much wild game. Deer and hogs are all I will eat. There's only a few people that can cook venison to where I will eat it and all I eat is the hind quarters, tenderloin and back straps. The rest is dog food and what the dog doesn't get goes to the coyotes and buzzards. I can eat one deer burger if I'm hungry enough and its grilled and has enough condiments on it. I wont eat sausage at all. Wild boar has to be BBQ or I won't eat it. Chances are most of your family members will be even more finicky than I am if they've never had it. I'm not saying don't try it. I'm just saying don't expect too much.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Chances are most of your family members will be even more finicky than I am if they've never had it. I'm not saying don't try it. I'm just saying don't expect too much.
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

My wife and I have both had deer meat. We enjoy it. I realize it can always taste different though.

My kids are young. My daughter just turned two years and my son is four months. Neither of them had deer.

My wife is an excellent cook. And no, I don't say that simply because she's my wife. I will tell her if there's something I don't like or doesn't taste right. It has rarely happened in the last three years.

So I'm hoping that, if my wife learns to cook it well (which I have full confidence of) and my children are exposed to little other types of meat growing up, that they will learn to like it. Maybe love it.

If not, maybe I'll just hunt for sport and donate the meat. *Shrug*

Always have clean socks.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I do appreciate everyone's responses. I'm learning a lot and now have a lot to think about.

Always have clean socks.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #25

Liked 220 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Supplemental to regular grocery, I need at least 2 deer in my freezer if I'll have anything to grill by spring, and I eat it only once in a while.

Burger gets donated, hate that stuff. Only time it's tolerable is when the kids make jerky from it, which lasts no more than 2 days.

Can only do so much jerky.

I take my regular venison steaks and cut them into small chunks, marinate, and then wrap with a 1/2 slice of bacon and a slice or two of jalapeno. Then toss 'em on the grill........great way to polish off a couple of brews too

Sometimes I take steaks cut thin and get butter and a little Worcestershire sauce really hot, drop them in and seal one side, reduce heat and add 1/2 a beer, then a couple drops of hot sauce per steak, , cover with heat way low.........cook to med. Those, with some wild rice and acorn squash are a fave meal of mine. Use a reg pilsner beer when cooking, but when eating a woody ale is a must.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #26

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts

If your live'n near water you can polish your fishing skills too, Fill a stand up freezer with fish , carbs, oysters if your a natural at it it at least learning. Everone guy with a gun wants to be a deer slayer but fishing is a year round sport and even if you have to buy a 19 Carolina skiff and 40hp motor you have good chance to keep a freezer topped out of the inter coastal side and up in the sounds.

Last edited by hardluk1; 01-12-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Burger gets donated, hate that stuff.
You are missing out on some the best chili and spaghetti meat available. Got one deer this year, backstrap and loin in steak, rest ground into pure burger.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20881 Times on 11869 Posts
Likes Given: 52425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
You are missing out on some the best chili and spaghetti meat available. Got one deer this year, backstrap and loin in steak, rest ground into pure burger.
deer meat is one of my favorites for making chili with. mixed with some deer sausage and beef stew meat,......mmmmmm goood!
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #29

Liked 902 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
If your live'n near water you can polish your fishing skills too, Fill a stand up freezer with fish , carbs, oysters if your a natural at it it at least learning. Everone guy with a gun wants to be a deer slayer but fishing is a year round sport and even if you have to buy a 19 Carolina skiff and 40hp motor you have good chance to keep a freezer topped out of the inter coastal side and up in the sounds.
Living where I do it's $80 worth of gas to go to the nearest good lake. Limit 15 crappie. 1/2# of meat on a good crappie. 7 1/2#s of meat for $80 bucks. Pretty expensive eating.

Go salt water fishing and have a great day. 5 guys in the boat. 5 snapper and 5 grouper. Maybe a couple of mahi mahi. 12 fish with 5# of meat each 60#'s of meat. Boat has 3 150 outboards. 75 gallons of fuel, $4 a gallon. $300 bucks for 60#'s of meat divided by 5 people. That doesn't include bait or fuel in the truck. For what I could catch fish I could eat lobster out of the store cheaper.

USMC 74-78

Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #30

Liked 220 Times on 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I've tried to like deer burger, even when pork shoulder added. Then it's almost tolerable. I've only killed several dozen, and butchered many myself..............still can't get into the burger.

And these all agricultural Indiana deer.

I do have loin thawed out for the grill tomorrow