Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How Long Does Your Haul Last?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Coincidentally, do people actually hunt and eat bear? I know its legal with restrictions in NC... but does?)
I know several people here hunt and eat black bear. I've never gotten the chance to try it, but I've heard different opinions on how much people like it. Some say its greasey and stringy and some say you just have to cook it right.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #12

Liked 318 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 6

first off, I applaud your effort. I wouldn't have the ambition to try what you're doing.

don't go hog wild your first year & try to live off nothing but what you kill, like others have mentioned some people have to get used to the taste of wild game. someone in your family might never get used to it, it happens. it would be a great idea to do some sort of bird hunting to off set the monotony & still some chicken or a few pounds of hamburger in the freezer.

my grandpa on my mom's side was pretty much raised exclusively on deer meat so he's completely burned out on it. I don't think he's eaten it in 30 years.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #13

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
I know several people here hunt and eat black bear. I've never gotten the chance to try it, but I've heard different opinions on how much people like it. Some say its greasey and stringy and some say you just have to cook it right.
Seems to me that greasy and stringy would be a perfect meat to do gravys and stews with. Therefore, I fail to see a problem!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #14

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Seems to me that greasy and stringy would be a perfect meat to do gravys and stews with. Therefore, I fail to see a problem!!!
I'm sure I'd like it. The same people who don't like it don't like other wild game, so I guess I should think before I type. :P

Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Would also mention that venison tends to be a very lean meat. When making sausage, I blend pork fat with lean venison.

And as said- I doubt that you live entirely on beef now- would not try to live exclusively on venison.

If you are going after this in a big way, would look at a vacuum sealer. Meat last a lot longer in the freezer when it cannot lose water.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2545 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

I have pulled out venison that's been kinda hidden in my freezer for atleast 2 years, it was freezer wrapped and/or in a tightly packed plastic bag.

It's not the best meat you'll ever eat, but it is palatable and if stewed or jerked for the whole pieces, and the ground made into chili, meat sauce for pasta, or mixed 50/50 with gr. beef for meatloaf or meatballs, it can be very good.

I don't know what the wild hog situation is where you'll be settling, but I'd rather hunt & eat pig than bear!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #17

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Adding hog to your harvest will help, pretty sure they can be hunted year round. Then spring turkeys.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Adding hog to your harvest will help, pretty sure they can be hunted year round. Then spring turkeys.
with the amount of feral hogs that have exploded in the last several years, most states don't even have any seasons or restrictions on hunting them.

feral hog or wild hog if cooked right is downright tasty!
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #19

Liked 873 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Alright your getting into hunting. That is a good thing for sure. And you are allowed six deer. The average of those six deer will be between 30-50 ponds of deer meat for each deer. Deer meat HAS to stripped of ALL fat, sinew, bone etc to be fit to eat. You should get about 30-35% meat out of each deer. The backstrap and the hams provide all the meat for steaks and roasts, although a big bucks neck can make a roast or two. Most does necks are only good for stew meat and not much of that. The front shoulders strip the meat and make jerky or stew meat out of it.

Now killing six on good land and after a few years experience should be a cakewalk. My youngest son and I pass up 30-50 deer a year and take about 20 most years. We only got 12 this year but did not bow hunt at all. That is when we take most of our does. Plus where we rifle hunt it can take a day to get a deer out. We don't shoot does much on that place just hunt for a good buck. We did kill 10 though this year when they were close to field.

Killing just any deer is pretty easy after you get the hang of it. But it does take time. Most years we hunt 45-60 day a year. This year we hunted only about 20. I have never been burned out on deer hunting as someone said here. I could hunt every day all year long and not get tired of it. Just go to have fun at first and learn everyday that you hunt. Get good with your weapon of choice, shoot straight and enjoy the harvest.

Wrapping it in plastic then aluminum foil as has been mentioned or vaccum sealing is the only way to go.

By the way bear meat is excellent. Way better than deer. I salt the hams down and cure them out just like the hogs we raise and kill. BUT and this is a big but. If it has been eating nothing but dead animals for weeks it is not near as good as those raiding corn fields, eating berries, acorns and other such foods.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 01-05-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #20

Liked 267 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I guess I didn't mention hunting flyers and other animals because deer would be the main staple of the diet. In my mind (maybe I'm wrong in this thinking) it seems that there is just much more meat to be had from six deer (provided I can get that many... Or any at all for that matter) than from the other game.

That is not to say we won't hunt other stuff too. We fully plan on it. (I use "we" because my wife wants to hunt as well - who knows, maybe in a few years hunting will be something we enjoy together). I just don't necessarily expect to get as much meat than out of large game. (Coincidentally, do people actually hunt and eat bear? I know its legal with restrictions in NC... but does it happen?)

Trip, that's a good point about the possibility of never seeing a deer in a season. That's partially why I'm asking how long the meat can be stored for. I'd like to have a supply stored up as a just-in-case measure that I rotate out as needed.
I had bear burgers last night, delicious

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

limbkiller Likes This