How to fight hypothermia - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How to fight hypothermia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Get out of the wind. Build a fire. Make sure your clothes are dry. If not, peel 'em off and get them dry.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 05-09-2014 at 02:51 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 676

I have a better plan. If it is so cold that I might freeze to death I catch up on things that need to be done in the barn. I have never heard of anyone freezing to death in front of a kerosene bullet heater.

Once it is below 15 I can't sit still long enough to bag any kind of game. Stalking is out of the question. Unless there is fluffy snow on the ground every animal in the woods is going to hear every step I take.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The mental effects will kick in before you start shivering uncontrollably. I have seen it and I know a couple that almost died because of it.
That has not been my observation. I have been there myself several times and have witnessed it several team members. We were trained to not only take care of ourselves but to observe our team to spot problems like this affecting any of the others as well.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
That has not been my observation. I have been there myself several times and have witnessed it several team members. We were trained to not only take care of ourselves but to observe our team to spot problems like this affecting any of the others as well.
This experienced couple was kayak camping in the north and the weather turned on them. They were cold and wet when they landed on a beach. Neither were shivering but they started making rookie mistakes. Setting up the camp in a poor place then having to move the camp to a more sheltered spot. trouble setting up a tent they were very experienced with. Just mistakes because their brains were not functioning at the proper level. It was when she started shivering that he realized how badly they were screwing up. He had a portable marine radio and called a mayday. Luckily some one heard him and they were rescued.
I have experienced the shivering but I realized I needed to get to shelter before it started. I was dry but the temp had dropped suddenly and severely. I started shivering after I had gotten to shelter and got a heat source going but not up to speed yet. It would have been very difficult to get the heat going if I was shivering uncontrollably. The shivering started when I stopped moving and relaxed a little.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 AM   #25

Liked 85 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This was in a first aid course

http://www.yukonman.com/cold_water.asp

http://live.cgaux.org/?p=872

Old 07-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

I have experienced it twice and have never forgotten either one.
The key is to prepare that it never happens. Once on the rifle on a op and once caught in a storm on Kentucky Lake when a storm set in during the afternoon unexpectedly in march on a fishing trip and stuck on a sandbar in the middle of the lake all evening in the storm and overnight.
First of all be prepared which I was not on the fishing trip. But survived by putting on my life vest on to keep the core heat in my chest. Wrapping my arms with toilet paper and bubble wrap from fishing equipment packaging as well as a $10.00 poncho from WalMart and going onto a fetal position under the poncho in one corner of my boat. The carpet in the boat was the next consideration. But I assure you the delusions, shivering and even passing out is part of it. At one point I was delusional and thought I could swim across the lake about 3/4 of a mile to the Marina which I could see the lights on in the distance. NOT~ But caught my senses by realizing what was happening! Took me two days after it was over to even hold water down! Probably should have been in the hospital. But spent the next two days just keeping warm in the cabin and hydrating and attempting to eat energy foods! So Hypothermia is very real and very dangerous and something everyone should consider and prepare for. Even to have an emergency kit in the car for an unknown situation and especially in cold weather or winter is a must. In my boats today I have a complete emergency kit to prevent it as well as flares, heat blankets, energy snacks, and all. If you have never experienced it I hope and pray you never do! SO prepare NOW! Good Thread! Maybe it will save someones life someday!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #27

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 220

A situation I hope to not be in. And thanks to those that shared there stories. I forgot about the dilusional aspect. I was raised up north (USA) and I live now down south (USA) and hypothermia is something I have known of thankfully and never had.
Staying "warm" and "dry" is a key. And earlier someone said take clothes off. I say don't. If you have nothing to replace the clothes you take off don't. Bare skin wet will cool you down even more. And won't block wind. The core of the body needs warmed most. You need a wind break and fire. Or shelter and dry clothes. Just my opinion and 2 cents.

Posted By R1D2, Many leagues under the sea..
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
-Joker :)

(Remember the fallen!)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

In keeping dry and warm A couple of things I do..... Portable chem heat packets are light weight and easy to carry, A couple under the arms and in the femoral artery region will help keep you warm as you shelter. A first aid type heater pack thrown in the bottom of your fart sack will keep you toasty.

In absence of a heat pack I build a bed fire to lay upon for the night.. You will stay warm all night. Build a contained fire the length of your body. Throw in a few large rocks to absorb heat. Cover entire fire pit with 4 inches of dirt/sand sleep on top....

Become steel or get cut.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #29

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Stay warm.