Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How to fight hypothermia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5880 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 6233

Its a scary condition especially when you realize its not just a thing that happens in NY in February. Our bodies are amazing environmental engines but dangerous extremes are less extreme than we might guess. Think about it, 98.6 your body is perfect, a few degrees higher and your nearly dead, a few degrees colder, same thing! The balance can be upset much more easily than we would imagine. Although Ive had frostbite and chilblain, Ive never reached a point of hypothermia even living in the North East my entire life and training in Fort Drum in the middle of the winter every year.

Quote:
US Army Public Health Command lists these symptoms----
1-- Vigorous shivering is typically present. Shivering may decrease or cease as core temperature continues to fall.
2-- Onset of hypothermia is typically associated with the so-called “umbles”, the grumbles, mumbles, stumbles and fumbles that increase as cold affects muscle and nerve function.
3-- Symptoms of hypothermia consist of confusion, sleepiness, slurred speech, shallow breathing, weak pulse, low blood pressure, change in behavior and/or poor control over body movements/slow reactions.
A healthy body is not as prone to Hypothermia but not exempt either. Our engines need fuel and hydration to create heat, when they run low, so does the heat. Nearing Hypothermia can be halted by early detection and reversed by exercise, nourishment and hydration. Once the signs begin, your on borrowed time unless you can get your motor running and fast!

Fight the cold by being prepared for it first, like others have said layers and materials that wick away sweat and dont absorb it are key to sustained exposure. More folks get hot and cold weather injuries when they didnt expect they could happen. Elderly and children with dementia or developmental disabilities that get disoriented and lost, Car breaks down, rapid weather changes while out for a short bike or hike or injuries sustained prior to hypothermia that immobilize you away from assistance are far more common than a prepared hunter getting lost and becoming Hypothermic.

My wife and I keep a good blanket in our vehicles year round, I used mine last winter when my thermostat stuck closed on my PU last winter 4 miles down the road from home, it was 20 below and 7:00 in the morning! I wasnt in danger cause I had a cellphone and could have called for help if I needed it or just flagged down a car. The cheap stubborn German in me made me wrap up in the blanket, hold on and try starting it every 10 or 15 minutes and wait for the heat of the engine block to pop the thermostat open. About half an hour later, I heard a little ping, pop and trickle as the fluid started circulating through the system. 2 minutes later there was heat! Then my blood started circulating and all the sudden, life was good. If I hadnt had the blanket, gloves and a little patience, I would have been regretting that "should have been a 10 minute drive" in big ways.

Boy Scouts say "Be Prepared" for a reason.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 876

I spent 8 years in an SF Unit which specialized in winter warfare and the most miserable nights I have ever spent in my life was training with them 'freezing'.
One of the little tricks I used was to keep a squeeze tube of honey on me (close enough so my body heat kept it liquid) and when I could feel hypothermia setting in (uncontrollable shivering) I would take a mouth full of honey and wash it down with a long drink of water. In about a minute I could feel the 'warmth' spreading though my body. This accomplished two things which are REQUIRED to fight hypothermia, one the 'energy' needed to produce the heat in the muscles and to keep me hydrated.
Hope this helped.
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

The worst part of hypothermia is that you lose the ability to think rationally. You wont realize what is happening and you will make mistakes that can make things a lot worse. I saw one young fit guy that could not get back on his jet ski. His buddies were just laughing at him until I told them what was going on. Then they helped him and got him onto a boat where they took care of him. All the time he was insisting he was OK. I was in a kayak so there was not much else I could do.
Tahoe is a very dangerous place for hypothermia. The water rarely gets over 50 degrees and it does not take long to get in serious trouble. Fat people stand a better chance than slim people. 6 percent body fat is not your friend in cold water.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 876

That is why I referred to 'shivering uncontrollably' as the time to do something, because at that point you can still think straight and are physically able to take action.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
That is why I referred to 'shivering uncontrollably' as the time to do something, because at that point you can still think straight and are physically able to take action.
The mental effects will kick in before you start shivering uncontrollably. I have seen it and I know a couple that almost died because of it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #16

Liked 349 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 28

2 of the biggest places that you'll loose body heat from is the head and the "private parts" if that's any help to you.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So now I see how dangerous this condition is. Though I've heard about this thing before but didn't really mind it. Thanks to all for the informative and helpful answers

I create contents for Gun Mate , Hunting Magazines as well as being a regular contributor for other hunting websites.

I camp alongside some of the greatest campers, trekkers and adventure seekers in the world - unfortunately I haven’t cracked the Kokoda Trail yet.

You can grab me on Google+ or via Twitter: @Gun_Mate

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20891 Times on 11877 Posts
Likes Given: 52453

IIRC, one way to also fight hypothermia is with food. food equals calories and calories equal internal heat.

303tom Likes This 
Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

a lot of folks like to drink alcohol at some point on hunting trips. alcohol consumption will speed up hypothermia by many orders of magnitude. the feeling of warmth you get when you drink is your circulatory system sending a lot of blood to the skin.

its why habitual drunks have ruddy cheeks, reddish skin, swollen noses and ears, its from blood forced to the skin over and over at higher pressure bursting capillaries.

in terms of the cold your skin is how you cool, when blood is at the skin ambient air cools it. it is then returned very cold to be warmed by core organs cooling them. the cucle repeats and you freeze to death.

do not drink alcohol before during or after exposure to prolonged cold temperatures.

smoking and tobacco consumption has a similar but lesser effect.

if your out of water do not eat snow. put snow in a container and put it in a inside pocket allowing external body heat to melt it not your core.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-09-2014, 02:41 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20891 Times on 11877 Posts
Likes Given: 52453

a lot of people also don't realize that dehydration occurs in cold temperatures as well as it does in hot temperatures. just because it's cold doesn't mean you're not sweating and need to rehydrate.

JonM Likes This