Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How to fight hypothermia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default How to fight hypothermia

As a hunter, I always take safety measures during hunting to avoid from accidents. But lately realized that there is also a threat to our health during hunting, I've heard of this serious condition "hypothermia" which they say is potentially dangerous. What is the best remedy should we use to fight hypothermia?

I create contents for Gun Mate , Hunting Magazines as well as being a regular contributor for other hunting websites.

I camp alongside some of the greatest campers, trekkers and adventure seekers in the world - unfortunately I haven’t cracked the Kokoda Trail yet.

You can grab me on Google+ or via Twitter: @Gun_Mate

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19591 Times on 11120 Posts
Likes Given: 49316

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMulligan View Post
As a hunter, I always take safety measures during hunting to avoid from accidents. But lately realized that there is also a threat to our health during hunting, I've heard of this serious condition "hypothermia" which they say is potentially dangerous. What is the best remedy should we use to fight hypothermia?
depends on the situation and the environment and what you have available to you.

proper clothing is one of the first lines of defence against it.

if lost in the woods and it's cold or snowing or raining, shelter and a fire are the next best defences.

yes hypothermia is dangerous and can be fatal. people have died from it.

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Been close a few times here are some stats for you........http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5407a4.htm

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

In the very simplest of terms, hypothermia means your body is losing heat faster than it can make heat. While we usually think of cold, the REAL enemies can be (a) wet (b) wind and (c) whiskey.

You can die in 50-60 degree air if you are wet, exposed to wind, and do not have clothing or a local environment that can block wind. Being submerged in water is extreme heat loss.

Booze has played a role in between 1/3 and 2/3rds of hypothermia cases. "Take a drink to warm you up"- acts as a vasodilator, speeds heat loss from skin.

Select clothing with care- many synthetics (Gore Tex) will still insulate when wet, as will wool. Others do not. Have clothing that can block wind. Gloves and a hat are important- but NOT as important as folks thought.

Getting into serious cold? Fell in the creek, got soaked, wind is up and you are shivering? GET OUT OF THE WIND. Maybe a low area, lee side of big rock, beyond a blowdown tree with a big root fan. Build a fire. Does not have to be huge. You are using it to dry as much as to warm.

Feet wet? Ages ago, I used to roll wool sox up in a tight roll, put two in a condom, knot condom- and even if I had been in water to my neck, I had a dry pair of sox when I needed them. Now you can use a ziplock baggy.

You can "bump" your metabolism just a bit with simple carbs- candy, sugar, etc. Be careful with coffee- caffeine can start to dehydrate you.

Windscreen? If you can't find a natural one- a simple sheet of heavy poly and some paracord in your pack can make one- or improve a natural one. Limit your contact with soil or rock- draws body heat. Branches, dry leaves, evergreen boughs can help. A disposable space blanket weighs less than a deck of cards- and it works.

BTW- I have slept (well) outdoors, North of Fairbanks Alaska, January, at -55 degrees. Simple shelter, good clothing.

PS- anyone a boater? 50 degree water will kill you in about an hour. Wear a life jacket, double that time. Insulates you. Says the US Coast Guard.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-08-2014 at 02:59 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #5

Liked 1058 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Wear Wool !...................

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 03:59 AM   #6

Liked 2412 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

--Layers of clothing. A wool cap.

--What they many times call "hypothermia", winds up

actually being dehydration, especially in a wind. Just

a small breeze can kill you.

--Newspaper or cardboard is a great insulator. Put it in layers inside your

clothing.

-- Use a plastic survival blanket, or large plastic bag as

a windbreak.

--Duct tape works well with plastic survival blankets for making

a shelter.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Hunting I always carried a space blanket, large plastic bag, fire starting stuff and a whistle. People might ignore gunshots but they wont ignore a whistle. Those went into pockets not the back pack. Also carried candy or food bars in the back pack so they would not melt from body heat. One other item was a foam pellet filled cushion. It hung off of your belt in the back and gave you an insulated from the ground or whatever you were sitting on. Also made a rifle rest.
Kayaking in cold water meant a wet suit or a dry suit, no cotton and a life jacket.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #8

Liked 2412 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

Know where you are. Literally. If you aren't lost, you'll

spend less time exposed to the elements. So stay

oriented. Means maps, compass, orienteering.(in advance )

String, that nylon surveyor's stuff, strong, and

compact, great for helping cobble together windbreaks for

fire, and shelter.

Figure out where you are, and GET OUT BEFORE DARK. Otherwise,

make camp, fire, and shelter; unless you are certain where you are going.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1351 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 461

I carry a space blanket when I am hunting in cold weather for emergencies. If I am hunting in a wet area or there is a heavy frost I put bread bags over my wool socks. My boots may be soaked but my feet are dry. I also carry a pair of heavy mittens in case my hands get cold/wet. I always wear a warm hat that covers my ears. Plus I wear a coat with a hood.

A friend fell in a creek in extreme cold weather. By the time we got a fire going his clothes had iced up. We used myrtle bushes to beat the ice off him. In 30 minutes he was ready to carry on the hunt. He is a better man than I am. I would have headed to the truck before anyone could have got a fire going. We were only a few hundred yards from the truck.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7668 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9890

About 20 years ago I suffered from hypothermia. It was on July 4th at Lake Tahoe on an 85 F degree day. (AaronMulligan: July is mid summer for us in the northern hemisphere. Lake Tahoe sits at 6,224' (1,897 m) elevation and is a surprisingly dry climate in the summer months.)

I was out sailing with a buddy of mine, our crappy little boat capsized and was swamped without any way to bail out. The water temperature out in the lake is pretty cool, and warms somewhat as you get into shallower water. We were about a half a mile out on the lake when we capsized, where the water is very cool and very deep (the lake is 500 meters at its deepest point and averages 300 meters deep. Deeper water has a lower surface temperature away from shore. Tahoe never freezes due to its thermal mass and also never gets very warm).

We both were able to get to shore OK, but by the time I got there I was shivering uncontrollably and my limbs were turning blue. My buddy was not affected though. You will hear that an individual's build will not affect how rapidly one becomes affected by cold temperatures, but the fact is that my buddy, who is considerably thicker, heavier and fatter than me, was not affected while I, who at the time had around 6% body fat and an extremely thin build, were affected very differently despite our having been through the exact same ordeal.

When we got to shore I was treated (dried off and warmed up carefully so as to not cause further damage) and survived just fine without any lasting effects. Went out to watch the fireworks that evening, though I was very tired and had to bundle up.

One can find hypothermia or hyperthermia (overheating) in unexpected places and conditions.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
kfox75 Likes This