Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > How did you learn to hunt deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1662 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 530

I did not have a hunting heritage and I am envious of you that did. I started in Alaska (Air Force) after I was there long enough to get my resident license. I went with some civilians I met on base. They took me because they would get any meat I shot. They were so bad that even I could tell it was a waste of time. I found an NCO that had a homesite and had built a cabin. I got a start from him. Got a moose. He kept half and 2 of his neighbors got the other half. I did get to eat several steaks. I did a lot of traveling in Alaska but did not get much opportunity to hunt. I did turn down a chance for a destructive bear because it would have gone to waste. I continued to find experienced hunters to learn from. Being willing to share your game helps and so does having a 4x4 pick up.
Someone posted something that got me thinking about range and rifles built for long range. I have to say I bought into the long range rifle (300 yards for me) and had a number of different rifles over the years. That post made me realize that the first rifle I bought which was a Marlin 336T in 35 Rem would have been the only rifle I needed. I have not shot huge numbers of game animals but looking back the longest shot I made was 70 yards on an elk. I took one deer at 15 feet. The rest were about 25 yards +-5 yards. I learned from hunters not target shooters. I also hunted with a bow for a while.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Be sure to learn how to make appropriate responses to inappropriate inquiries about your hunting-

Q> How can you shoot that precious innocent little deer?
A> He sassed me.
I only shoot the guilty ones
They make funny noises if you eat them without shooting them first
My psychiatrist said it might help diminish my desire to shoot nosy people
You're killing me here. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
This past winter (early 2012), I decided I wanted to learn to hunt turkey. I did a ton of reading, watched a lot of videos, and other research. I geared up, went out, and got my first bird. I was most concerned about properly dressing the bord, but managed to din a few illustrated books and a couple YouTube videos of proper methods.
This coming fall (2013) I'm thinking of attempting to hunt deer. Turkey was a little intimidating, but manageable. I'm extremely intimidated by the prospect of hunting deer. Bigger animal, greater chance of ruining the meat by improperly dressing, etc. I've also never tracked an animal, so I'm afraid that if I hit what I'm shooting, and it takes off, I'll have killed and wasted an animal.
How did you folks learn to hunt, track, and dress deer? I know most will say "family", but no one else in my family is a hunter. I have some friends and acquaintances who hunt, but a few are guys I don't want holding a loaded rifle near me, and I'm not sure the other acquiantances want someone else tagging along. Never hurts to ask, I suppose.
Would hiring a guide be a good idea for a new hunter? It's expensive, with no guarantee I'll learn anything (for example, if I go, never see a deer, and therefore don't learn the skills I need!).

Any tips?
It started with my grandpa, an my pa, became my lifes pasdion to chase mule deer an elk. Antalope are my 3rd fav tied with auodads.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #14

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post

It started with my grandpa, an my pa, became my lifes pasdion to chase mule deer an elk. Antalope are my 3rd fav tied with auodads.
Passion dang phone

Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #15

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I started going along with my dad on deer drives way before I was old enough to carry a rifle, I learned from him as well as about 15 good experienced guys in our group, I learned some from each of them, some of them are gone now including my dad but many are still here and we still hunt together sometimes, that is by far the best way to learn, I feel sorry for the folks who don't get that opportunity. It is good you are wanting to get into it without having the background, do a little reading and take up any offers you get from folks willing to take you in, hunting isn't so difficult and you should pick up on what you are doing wrong quite fast. I don't know what gun you would be using but if you limit your range to reasonable distances and have good shooting lanes you shouldn't have to worry about losing game, only take a shot if a good one is presented, the deer will likely run or walk off a little ways but if you are using a good rifle and hit them in a good spot there should be plenty enough blood to track him down.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1350 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 460

One thing you can do to find hunting friends and a place to hunt is watch your local hunting forums, want ads or hunting magazines. You will see advertisements where people are looking for others to pitch in on a land lease. Most wildlife commissions publish a map showing the number of deer per square mile in each area of the state. Look for land in an area with a high deer population. Most hunting leases in this area run around $7 an acre. Find out what landowners charge in your area so you don't get ripped off. The perfect land lease in my experience is around 200 acres that adjoin a state park or other large area of public land with no hunting allowed. As long as your group doesn't put to much pressure on the lease deer will constantly wander in from the state park.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #17

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

I learned bu tagging along with my dad, shed hunting, and just walking through the woods, also check out your local library I have read a lot of books on hunting whitetail deer and you can actually learn quite a bit from some of these books.

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #18

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

My Dad was not a hunter. He told me he had had enough of rifles and killing in WW2 and although he had the tools, chose not to. I started hunt tweety w/ a bb gun, moved up to rabbits w/ a .22 pellet gun. Moved up to a .22. Then birds w/ a 12ga. Bought a 12ga slug gun at 16 and the rest followed.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks, everyone.
Looks like I have more reading to do! Do most of you hunt solo, or in groups?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #20

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I do both, we have stands where we hunt alone, we also make deer drives with groups.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012