Hounds - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Old crows are smarter.......

The man has to start some where, this is not on the job training. I guess we could just throw away the written word and go back to old school. What he gleans from reading will help. But when you can learn from others that have learned from thier on mistakes then it's a plus........Old crows lived to be old by watching young crows eat the poisoned corn......

Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #12

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If he hunts with people that have good dogs training will come easy to him. He will likely acquire an older dog that can still hunt but it's a step slower than dogs in their prime. The old dog will train a younger dog for him.

Also the hunter that takes him in as hunting partner will know when he is ready for a dog.

The notion that someone can go from not knowing what breed of dog they need to dog trainer by reading with no one to show him the way is a bit far fetched.

I have eaten a bit of poison corn myself. I have bought curs to hunt hogs in the for money competitions. I bought the best stock. I gave the dogs every advantage I could. Yet I still got my head handed to me by the second and third generation hog hunters.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Training......

The last yellow lab I had was given to me. He was 2 years old and full of piss and vineger. The man that owned him before paid $500 for the dog and another $1500 to have him trained, they could not train this dog. He was head strong and did every thing HIS way...... It took me 3 months going to the boat launch to to teach him how to swim....At a 120 # pounds he was to big for a boat in a duck blind......His hard head matched mine......