Hounds
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hounds

Can you teach hounds how to duck hunt and pheasant hunt or is it to hard and if you can what would be the best one

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

Duck hunt- not really. You use retreivers- dogs that like to swim- they fetch the shot down ducks.

Pheasnt, quail, chukar- oh my yes- that is a bird dog. It takes patience- but that dog is usually a pointer- hounds are generally scent trackers and pursuit dogs- they give chase. Deer, racoons, etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

IIRC, there are three dog hunting behaviors: tracking, pointing, and retrieving. There are only two breeds that were really bred to try and do all three: Weimarainers and Vizlas. They won't track as well as a Blue Tick. They won't point as well as a German Shorthair. And they won't retrieve as well as a Lab. But they do all fairly well.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1223

You can teach a dog to hunt any thing...............

When all else fails.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Not being snotty here just honest. If you need to ask this question you aren't capable of training a dog. A puppy from proven stock is going to cost over $250. $250 is a breeder likes you and plans to hunt over your dogs price.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll just leave this here.

original.gif  

Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Not being snotty here just honest. If you need to ask this question you aren't capable of training a dog. A puppy from proven stock is going to cost over $250. $250 is a breeder likes you and plans to hunt over your dogs price.
Huh?

Asking questions is the way people get capable.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Before and after........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911beast View Post
Can you teach hounds how to duck hunt and pheasant hunt or is it to hard and if you can what would be the best one
Research, read every thing you can on hunting dogs and retrievers. Most dog breeds I know of don't hunt ducks untill the hunter has a cripple on the ground. One breed will hunt and point pheasant and will also retrieve ducks. and if you are a true hunter that one dog will amaze you at what it will hunt. Don't keep a hard headed dog, it will ruin your hunt......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Your ability to train will depend on how well the dog can hunt. Training for some dogs must be kept up from year to year. A penned dog or tied dog will hunt better than one running loose, pending breed, and training of course. How often you hunt with the dog. My grandfather always had muts and they were always hunting something. I love to watch a good bird dog work and point over a covey of quail. I have been pheasant hunting in SD several times and the dog of choice is a lab.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

willshoum Likes This 
Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Huh?

Asking questions is the way people get capable.
Once again I am not being snotty, just honest. Training dogs isn't a cheap proposition. Most of the best dog trainers are second or third generation trainers. If you have no background in hunting with dogs training one to hunt isn't something you can learn in a forum or by reading a book. It's like taking a college course with no lab time. You learn to talk a good game but putting it in practice is a horse of a different color. I would prefer that everyone here thinks I am a jerk than set the man up for failure. I know who I am.