Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Hounds (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/hounds-71344/)

1911beast 08-29-2012 04:30 AM

Hounds

Can you teach hounds how to duck hunt and pheasant hunt or is it to hard and if you can what would be the best one

c3shooter 08-29-2012 06:03 AM

Duck hunt- not really. You use retreivers- dogs that like to swim- they fetch the shot down ducks.

Pheasnt, quail, chukar- oh my yes- that is a bird dog. It takes patience- but that dog is usually a pointer- hounds are generally scent trackers and pursuit dogs- they give chase. Deer, racoons, etc.

ScottA 08-29-2012 06:21 AM

IIRC, there are three dog hunting behaviors: tracking, pointing, and retrieving. There are only two breeds that were really bred to try and do all three: Weimarainers and Vizlas. They won't track as well as a Blue Tick. They won't point as well as a German Shorthair. And they won't retrieve as well as a Lab. But they do all fairly well.

303tom 08-29-2012 03:14 PM

You can teach a dog to hunt any thing...............

Old_Crow 09-04-2012 12:23 PM

Not being snotty here just honest. If you need to ask this question you aren't capable of training a dog. A puppy from proven stock is going to cost over $250. $250 is a breeder likes you and plans to hunt over your dogs price.

xcoreyyyx 09-04-2012 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll just leave this here.

ScottA 09-04-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 927537)
Not being snotty here just honest. If you need to ask this question you aren't capable of training a dog. A puppy from proven stock is going to cost over $250. $250 is a breeder likes you and plans to hunt over your dogs price.

Huh? :confused:

Asking questions is the way people get capable.

willshoum 09-04-2012 03:04 PM

Before and after........

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911beast (Post 919747)
Can you teach hounds how to duck hunt and pheasant hunt or is it to hard and if you can what would be the best one

Research, read every thing you can on hunting dogs and retrievers. Most dog breeds I know of don't hunt ducks untill the hunter has a cripple on the ground. One breed will hunt and point pheasant and will also retrieve ducks. and if you are a true hunter that one dog will amaze you at what it will hunt. Don't keep a hard headed dog, it will ruin your hunt......

tri70 09-04-2012 05:47 PM

Your ability to train will depend on how well the dog can hunt. Training for some dogs must be kept up from year to year. A penned dog or tied dog will hunt better than one running loose, pending breed, and training of course. How often you hunt with the dog. My grandfather always had muts and they were always hunting something. I love to watch a good bird dog work and point over a covey of quail. I have been pheasant hunting in SD several times and the dog of choice is a lab.

Old_Crow 09-05-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 927616)
Huh? :confused:

Asking questions is the way people get capable.

Once again I am not being snotty, just honest. Training dogs isn't a cheap proposition. Most of the best dog trainers are second or third generation trainers. If you have no background in hunting with dogs training one to hunt isn't something you can learn in a forum or by reading a book. It's like taking a college course with no lab time. You learn to talk a good game but putting it in practice is a horse of a different color. I would prefer that everyone here thinks I am a jerk than set the man up for failure. I know who I am.