Hope everybody enjoys this

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hope everybody enjoys this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1014 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Hope everybody enjoys this

A true hunting story

This is one of my hunting stories. It was a tense experience, but humorous afterwards.
I was in BC Canada Elk hunting high up in the Rockies. There were six of use but in my group there is myself, my hunting partner Thomas and a guide.
We are all on horseback, for no motor vehicles were allowed in the area. We are up high looking down for signs of elk. As we rode along, I looked over on the next mountain side and see a large black bear.
The guide now sees him also. I had a tag and he ask if I wanted to take it, I told him yes.
We slowly dismounted. I pull out my Colt Sauer .300 Weatherby mag, with 3-9 Leupold scope from my scabbard and take a firing position. I estimate 300 yards. I sat down and use a fork in a small tree, take aim, BANG! Bear go’s down. Guide says nice shot. We stand there figuring the best way to get to the bear. I see the bear getting up and running into a good size patch of mountain laurel/high brush. Now I am real disappointed in my shot.

It takes us about 20 minutes to work our way over the patch of laurel/high brush which is about 12 feet high. It is very thick and you cannot see more than 8 feet inside. The patch is about 30 yards by 30 yards and dark inside. We have a wounded bear to locate. Guide says “Somebody has got to go in”, my partner Thomas quickly says, it ain’t my fxxxing bear. I replied, I got it. I start in and realized you cannot see anything more that 8 feet, the stuff was so thick. Plus, I have a rifle with a scope on it, no open site. I dialed the scope down to 3. About that time things start rushing through my head like wounded bear thoughts and how pissed off he must be and will charge at the snap of a twig. Well, I keep moving into the brush and about that time I hear the guide shout, HERE HE COMES!! My rear end is puckered up by this time!! I think to myself, coming from where? Oh crap! I don’t dare answer back and give away my position to the bear. A few seconds later I see the bear moving to my right; I turn, I pick him up in the scope, he is so close that the scope picture is a little out of focus but clear enough to see the bear and know it is a bear, I aim and take my shot. BANG! He went down and stayed down this time. Standing over the bear my knees were shaking and felt weak.
The bear went down on the edge of a big drop off angled downward into a ravine. When I say drop off, I’m talking straight down!. Way down.
We had to hold onto small trees while dressing out/skinning the bear. On the last cut the carcass took off down the mountain over the edge into the ravine far below.

Now to top this off, when we got back to the horses, none of the horses would allow the bear on board or near them! I had to carry the hide with head on it draped over my shoulders all the way back to camp. About a half mile.

Well, I now have a beautiful 6 ft black bear rug in my den.
[ATTACH]img_0140_resized.jpg[/ATTACH]

img_0139_resized.jpg  

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Last edited by Dearhunter; 01-31-2013 at 02:59 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Great story, great rug!

And at least ONE member here will HEARTILY approve of it!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #3

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

A story of a lifetime! Glad you got him!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Haha dang man that was a story for the grandkids right there. I would of crapped myself if I saw a wounded pissed off bear charging me. That's why when I hunt I have a sidearm just in case I get caught in a CQB with a pissed off predator. Great story man.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Wow! If that was me I think rear puckered up woul;d be an understantement. I'd probably have been able to make dsiamonds of a piece of coal.

Fantastic skin though. And what a story

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1014 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinet6 View Post
Haha dang man that was a story for the grandkids right there. I would of crapped myself if I saw a wounded pissed off bear charging me. That's why when I hunt I have a sidearm just in case I get caught in a CQB with a pissed off predator. Great story man.

I wanted to take a side arm (SW .44 mag) but Canada will not allow you to bring a handgun into country.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered