Hogs Gone Wild - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hogs Gone Wild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

While hunting hogs has created a modest means of income for some, the damage they do does not offset the minimal financial gains they provide. The only way to curtail the problem is to poison the buggers.

Sadly that gives rise to poisoning other species as they feast on the dead and rotting flesh. Hunters and Trappers can't make enough of a dent in the hog population to be of any consequence.

Biker

Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Everyone needs to send the Discovery Channel and History Channel an email like I have several times,and tell them as a viewer that dramatic TV shows SUCK.
Why do they think everything has to have drama in it.I get so pissed off sometimes,I want to shoot the damn TV.

I laugh at the landowners that have approached me about hunting hogs on their property.
They all want to be paid to get rid of the hogs,and I tell them if they pay me to hunt them then I'll get some friends and come out,but they're crazy if they think I'm going to pay them to solve their hog problem.
Keep your hogs,I'll just go buy some fresh pork at the market,if I want to pay for it!

Old 06-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

Quote:
The only way to curtail the problem is to poison the buggers.
i totally disagree. States should encourage ranchers and farmers to allow the hunting of wild hogs on their property. States should pass laws that hold the landowner harmless for injuries to hunters on their property.

The answer to the hog control problem is allowing folks to hunt and trap hogs 24/7/365. With the exception of Texas, every state with a hog problem has restrictions on the hunting and trapping of hogs. Many states do not allow a hog hunter to carry a center fire rifle in the WMAs outside of deer season; OK is one of those. Some states have a season on wild hogs; in some states you have to buy tags to hunt wild hogs. The vast majority of states do not allow hog hunting at night with a gun; OK is one of those. Some states do not allow the shooting of wild hogs, they claim it "spreads" the hogs.

In OK we can only hunt wild hogs with rimfire rifles and shotguns with small shot in the WMAs outside of deer season. When some OK WMAs were over-run with hogs, the OWDC hired helicopters to hunt down hogs: Go figure. We can't hunt hogs at night with a gun. TX has no problem with us coming down there and shooting hogs at night using a light, night scope, laser or whatever.

Bounties are an idea whose time has come. It needs to be done ASAP. One big stumbling block exists: The panjandrums who run the state wildlife dept's are opposed to bounties. It takes them out of the equation. The wildlife biologists are interested in increasing the size of their fiefdoms. They want to hire more recent college grads to "study" the hog problem.

Some wildlife departments even do expensive DNA testing to determine the origin of their hogs. Never mind that murders go unsloved because DNA tests cost too much.

This year i have trapped over 40 wild hogs on one of our places. Haven't seen a hog track on the place for over six weeks: Game cameras on the place show no hogs. The deer are coming back too.

Last edited by alsaqr; 06-02-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

TXhillbilly:

Someday hoof and mouth disease will break out. Farmers and ranchers will be paying big bucks to have their hogs killed. It's bound to happen and the hogs will spread it like wildfire.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
The answer to the hog control problem is allowing folks to hunt and trap hogs 24/7/365. With the exception of Texas, every state with a hog problem has restrictions on the hunting and trapping of hogs.

Bounties are an idea whose time has come. It needs to be done ASAP
I agree; MS loosened its regulations some last year.

I also agree on the bounties. With all these people out of work, a hog bounty could allow some people to keep shooting rather than having to pawn their guns.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My dad and I just went to Red Dirt Boar Ranch in Carney, OK to partake in the pig killing. We each got two pigs. If anyone is looking to go on a pig hunt...and actually get to shoot a pig, I highly recommend this ranch. They allow you to stalk them, or if all else fails, hop up in a stand over a feeder and pick out the best looking one. I realize the pigs in this ranch are not in the "wild", but were taken from the wild, and it was fun had by all.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #27

The hogs now have made it into Colorado, Kiowa county, the Southestern part of the state. According to our DOW, not a regulated species, so no license required, shoot on sight any time. If them darn things make it into our countries bread basket we are in trouble....oh wait, we already are in trouble!

Most people are like slinkies....not much use but good for a smile when ya push em' down the stairs.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #28

Liked 379 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Here in Australia we have no shortage of feral pigs.The estimated feral pig population in Australia at the moment is somewhere in the vicinity of 23,000,000(not kidding).They range in size from about 30kg in the western areas on the East coast to upwards of 100kg+ in the Northern parts of Queensland,Northern Territory,and Western Australia.
Around here where I live there have been pigs shot,dogged that have hit 80+kg's.

My son and I are heading upto the Northern Territory in 3 weeks time to a cull hunt on pigs,donkeys and feral horses so hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of the pigs we shoot on here,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #29

Liked 379 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Here in Australia we have no shortage of feral pigs.The estimated feral pig population in Australia at the moment is somewhere in the vicinity of 23,000,000(not kidding).They range in size from about 30kg in the western areas on the East coast to upwards of 100kg+ in the Northern parts of Queensland,Northern Territory,and Western Australia.
Around here where I live there have been pigs shot,dogged that have hit 80+kg's.

My son and I are heading upto the Northern Territory in 3 weeks time to a cull hunt on pigs,donkeys and feral horses so hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of the pigs we shoot on here,regards

51e6a80b.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #30

They folks on these shows aren't just trapping one hog and saying job well done ... you only see the people on film catch one or two ... they have a bunch of other people out their setting traps and hunting. None of the hogs are relocated, they are killed off camera.