hog shotgun advise please! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > hog shotgun advise please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Remington 870 i've used it to hunt everything from deer to bear, never had a problem with it.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #12

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Guys, The OP is from Turkey and is hunting European Boar. The Turks make some great shotguns. I would look at a Semi made in Turkey. My Charles Daly is and it is VG overall. 12ga w/ 5 tubes. Really light for a 24" barrel and very accurate. The difference between 2 3/4 and 3" is 1/8oz of shot w/ no difference in velocity w/ lead. Get a nice side by side and you have a great bird gun also.

I started thinking, hunting is a sport of skill, not firepower. I'm old school. I use a 9.3x57, 8x57 or 6.5x55. I'm good w/ an old paper hulled 12ga w/ #4 lead for nasty critters out to 30 yards. I also carry a big knife. I know I'm a little bit smarter then my qaurry, so old school is more fun. Even if I come home empty handed.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-04-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Thoughts

Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #13

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Ask your question Here!! Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting - Forum

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
sizir,

Are you going for a mount or meat. I shoot all of my pigs right behind the ear when possible and they drop like rocks. Of course if you are shooting for a mount that is not where you want to shoot them! The 30-06 or slug either one will do the job with no problem. The Sabott or the Brenneke Slugs are good. As one member stated they are shy in Europe? But even at that do not underestimate a wounded pig. Remember their will to survive like most wild animals. Depending on you budget a good pump 12 Ga in 2 3/4 or 3" or semi-auto would do the job. And as the one member stated, if you are hunting in close wooded areas it might not hurt to back up the slugs with a buck or two! Also if you are going to use a shotgun. Get it and get to the range with the ammunition you are going to use and do some testing on distance and bullet or projectile drop at specific yardage. The slugs drop a little more than your 30-06 at specific yardage.

As i said earlier im going not for the meat because de people in turkey don't eat pig meat we hunt the boars becuase of the overpolutian .
we go alot of woods , the population multipleyes here so much that other species like whitetail , red deer are beginning to die out at our woods.
and even lateley in febuari , a boar chased an local man op a tree nearby our home , it was 15mile from my home . After the boar chased him up he called with his phone the local police millitary when the police millatray came the boar fled away! the scar was big his leg was cut open by the tusk of the boar. thats why i want a a strong shotgun if it noticies me and comes to close i switch from my 30-60 to my rem 870 and shoot it ! Btw i going to use sabot slugs , im going to test it out on the targetinning range !

Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sizir, the first time i ever heard about a hog encounter, it was from a local deer hunter whose rifle got tangled up in a bush or something while he was being chased back to his truck by an upset mother hog. The hog destroyed one of his large, expensive mud tires on his truck, while the hunter watched helplessly from the top of the truck.

Try very hard to take a handgun in case of emergency.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-04-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Sizir, the first time i ever heard about a hog encounter, it was from a local deer hunter whose rifle got tangled up in a bush or something while he was being chased back to his truck by an upset mother hog. The hog destroyed one of his large, expensive mud tires on his truck, while the hunter watched helplessly from the top of the truck.

Try very hard to take a handgun in case of emergency.
it does cost alot but ive heard from local hunters that some people carry a .357 with them . should i also do it becuase ive went boar hunt before and only used rifle barrel . only this time of the year here in europe boars become aggresive especially in our habitat at the mountains

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Carry the pistol, or carry a really good first aid kit, in my opinion.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Carry the pistol, or carry a really good first aid kit, in my opinion.
OP this is good advice.

When it comes to Pigs kill 'em all and make cute sandwiches.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Last edited by WannaGator; 04-04-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: OP not Op

Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #19

Default turkish ibex hunt succesfull!

wrong message delted

3547.jpg   1539.jpg