hog shotgun advise please!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > hog shotgun advise please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default hog shotgun advise please!

Well , i am going to a trip over a couple of weeks.
going to hunt wild boar( Europe) i got a rifle 30-60 springfield , and i need a shotgun so i was wondering do you folks have any advise of shotguns , maby a 12gauge can be helpfull , any recommendation would be helpfull .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1254 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 527

12 guage 3 inch mag or 3.5 mag if available, 00 buck.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #3

Does saboted slug has more effect on a board then it has with buckshot 00 ?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #4

How big are the Hogs?

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #5

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

European boar are on the smaller side, not like the Russian boar. They are very shy and will run at the 1st sight or smell of humans. Forget buck shot, forget a sabot slug unless you have a rifled barrel. European boar have a "toe" that is between and behind the hooves. Ask the locals! 2 1/2 inch chambered shotguns were the norm there for years. Your .30-06 will be overkill.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What are the ranges you will be shooting??
Slugs followed by buckshot in case they get too close on a charge.. Get sights for the shotgun.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Don't underestimate boars. Some of them can be huge, and some have been known to kill humans. It's better to rip a hole through it than let it rip a hole through you. I'd recommend anything semi-automatic, alternating slugs and shot. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about English gun laws to be of much help in this one.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Buy the slugs & try to get a slug barrel with the nice rifle-type sights for a little extra reach (since they are said to be shy). Any chance you could take a lil .357 revolver in case of a problem?

Good luck in denying some European bears their pork.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #9

well, in turkey there is a HUGE over population (because the people in turkey are muslim and don't eat pigmeat ) so almost the hole year boar hunt is open .
I have cosen my gear : a 30-60 springfield , and im gonna pick up a remington 870 pump-action :capicty 6 with slugs ill go hunting over a couple of weeks now and i will show you folks my pictuers of the hunt ( if its succesfull ofcourse) .
Thank you for the advise you guys gave , i really appreciate your help ofcourse !

Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

sizir,

Are you going for a mount or meat. I shoot all of my pigs right behind the ear when possible and they drop like rocks. Of course if you are shooting for a mount that is not where you want to shoot them! The 30-06 or slug either one will do the job with no problem. The Sabott or the Brenneke Slugs are good. As one member stated they are shy in Europe? But even at that do not underestimate a wounded pig. Remember their will to survive like most wild animals. Depending on you budget a good pump 12 Ga in 2 3/4 or 3" or semi-auto would do the job. And as the one member stated, if you are hunting in close wooded areas it might not hurt to back up the slugs with a buck or two! Also if you are going to use a shotgun. Get it and get to the range with the ammunition you are going to use and do some testing on distance and bullet or projectile drop at specific yardage. The slugs drop a little more than your 30-06 at specific yardage.