Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Hog Hunting with an AR15, which would you prefer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

so u "think' that a 223 sp has "no hydrostatic shock" eh? :-) Don't tell that to the dozens of coyotes that have dropped intantly to my shot. :-) They might reincarnate. Who says that you want to shoot a pig (or any critter) in the shoulder, anyway? The ribcage/lungs are by far the best target. Given a deep penetrating softpoint, such as the 60 gr Nosler Partition, and ranges limited to 200 yds, at most, the 223 is plenty of gun for hogs. Few guys bother to try to save the meat, it's full of worms and normally, shooting is in warm/hot weather.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #42

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

why would 1 in 7 rifling cause more damage? the better stabized the bullet, the LESS damage that it does to tissue. Did you know that? :-)

Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Since you're going to call me out and try to get everyone to join your side, I'll give you the actual story, that's not really any part of the point I was trying to get across. I didn't shoot the full 30 rounds it was 29. Here's the best part, I didn't hit a damn thing.
I have respect for ol' Ma' Nature also my old man made plenty sure of that. Have I shot pigs and they end up running off? Yes I have. Do I keep every hog I shoot? No I don't. Do I go around shooting everything that moves for the hell of it? With the exception of hogs, no I don't. Then again, nothing else damages our crops like hogs do.

Steve
I did not 'call you out', I ask you a question. But if you do not pass up shots on hogs unless you can get a 'clean' kill, then yes I do question your hunting ethics.
Like I said, I HATE the hogs, they are making a mess out of a lot of things we all care about, but I still will not take a shot I don't think will not end in a humane kill, even on these miserable bastards! I have sent 40+ to their 'happy rooting' grounds in the last year or two and only three did not end up in someone's freezer or barbeque pit!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-24-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I did not 'call you out', I ask you a question. But if you do not pass up shots on hogs unless you can get a 'clean' kill, then yes I do question your hunting ethics.
Like I said, I HATE the hogs, they are making a mess out of a lot of things we all care about, but I still will not take a shot I don't think will not end in a humane kill, even on these miserable bastards! I have sent 40+ to their 'happy routing' grounds in the last year or two and only three did not end up in someone's freezer or barbeque pit!!!
Jim, do you have pics on the hogs in your area. Boars/hogs cause damage in the millions Europe too. They cause lots of auto accidents. Do they charge? How big are their waffen? (Do you call them tusks?) Thanks.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

We have a real mixed bag here. There are many who are true 'feral' hogs and they look like they are just out of the farmers pen, but we have had someone release some 'wild boars' and they are cross breeding. I shot a (wild) boar last year that has tusks that measured more than 5 inches, about 250+ lbs.
The true wild hogs have long wiry black hair, a LONG shout, and a ridge of long black hair down their back and yes they will attack people. No one has been killed by them but several people, mostly hikers, have been mauled. We see some really weird combinations here. I saw one litter which was almost bright red with a big black strip from their tail to the back of their head. We have had some that look 'wild' except for their white face.
I have taken very few pics. My grandson shot a young sow about a month ago and I think I may have that pic somewhere.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We have a real mixed bag here. There are many who are true 'feral' hogs and they look like they are just out of the farmers pen, but we have had someone release some 'wild boars' and they are cross breeding. I shot a (wild) boar last year that has tusks that measured more than 5 inches, about 250+ lbs.
The true wild hogs have long wiry black hair, a LONG shout, and a ridge of long black hair down their back and yes they will attack people. No one has been killed by them but several people, mostly hikers, have been mauled. We see some really weird combinations here. I saw one litter which was almost bright red with a big black strip from their tail to the back of their head. We have had some that look 'wild' except for their white face.
I have taken very few pics. My grandson shot a young sow about a month ago and I think I may have that pic somewhere.
Jim , we dont have any hogs right here where Im at in central IL . I know there are some in southern IL but I believe they have enough food with all the corn and beans down there they they kind of stay centralized and arent moving north that quickly . Im glad we dont have them but I want to hunt them so bad I can almost taste bacon when I think about it .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1346 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 455

In this area of NC the hogs are feral. The most popular meat hog in this area is a yorkshire hog. The yorkshire is big, long, hog that is creamy white in color. The yorkshire is the most popular hog in the commercial super farm also. But the feral hogs are black with a white band around their neck/shoulders, much like a hampshire hog. Hampshire hogs are not raised by the large hog farms that lose hogs and don't miss them. We do not have any european boars in this area. The european boars are in the mountain counties about a six hour drive from here.

I don't know what happens in the wild to make the hogs change colors. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon in their area?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-26-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #48

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I don't know what happens in the wild to make the hogs change colors. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon in their area?
In not sure how true it is, but I have read that domestic pigs will quickly regress in the wild and in only a generation or two would be unrecognizable as originating from a domestic breed.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't speak for the coloration part of it but I can say that the statement about boars not growing tusks in captivity is 100% BS. Until about 10 years ago I would have agreed with the statement, because I had never seen a pen raised boar with tusks. My out-laws had an old York boar that had some pretty mean looking chompers. They weren't the biggest I've seen on a hog, but they was big enough.

Steve

Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #50

Killing a hog is more about where the bullet is placed than what caliber...I will say this if you are using a smaller caliber you had better make sure you have a good shot...I eat every hog I kill but I have done the aim and spray on a nice sized sounder on one occasion...I use one of my dogs to track them quickly and I take a knife to prevent any unnecessary suffering(also the faster they are bled out the better they taste)