Hog Hunting with an AR15, which would you prefer? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Hog Hunting with an AR15, which would you prefer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

I have got some 223 62 gr Federal Fusion ammo. I had decided not to use the 223/5.56 on hogs any more (not enough gun unless you get the 'ear' shot), but if we get some hogs in a trap I am going to try this bullet and see how it performs.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #32

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would use the 308. A mature hog's shoulder is like an armor plate. I have no doubt a 5.56 FMJ bullet will pass through a 300 lb hog. The 5.56 will not have any hydrostatic shock compared to a 308. Hogs are considered big game. Use a big game cartridge to hunt hogs, not a varmint cartridge. I would really hate to see you posting from the wifi at the hospital.

For the I killed a hog with a 5.56 bunch. I have killed a nice boar with a 22 wmr. But that doesn't mean I am going hog hunting next week with a 22 wmr or a 5.56.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 07-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Go to the 'General Rifle' form and you will see I did just that!!!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #34

Liked 548 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would use the 308. A mature hog's shoulder is like an armor plate. I have no doubt a 5.56 FMJ bullet will pass through a 300 lb hog. The 5.56 will not have any hydrostatic shock compared to a 308. Hogs are considered big game. Use a big game cartridge to hunt hogs, not a varmint cartridge. I would really hate to see you posting from the wifi at the hospital.

For the I killed a hog with a 5.56 bunch. I have killed a nice boar with a 22 wmr. But that doesn't mean I am going hog hunting next week with a 22 wmr or a 5.56.
I would consider a .243 about the smallest calibre I'd use on pigs anywhere even though heaps of pigs are shot with things like a .22, you can do it but's not a smart move.
I'm a big believer in a .30 cal for pigs especially the big boars that have a very thick fighting pad on their front shoulders and then add a thick covering of mud to that and you have the equivalent of armour plating.

There's nothing worse than being chased by a wounded boar(been there, done that, got the t-shirt) as it wants to ream you a new arsehole from a badly placed shot or a smaller calibre that blew up on the mud on it's hide or having to crawl into thick scrub where ranges are measured in feet to finish a pig off.

A pig can carry a lot of lead doesn't matter whether it's a .22 or .458 a badly placed shot has consequences and as a case in point a couple of years ago my son and I went on a cull hunt in our Northern Territory thinning out pigs, donkey's, wild horses and wild dogs.

One afternoon we(about 5 of us) were sitting on a bait station for pigs when a mob came out of the scrub heading to the horse and donkey carcasses for a feed.
They got to within 10 yards of us and the bait station when we opened up with .308's and .270's dropping at least 5-6 pigs in a mob of at least 20 including suckers.

My son who had my .270 CMC Mountaineer hits a sow a bit far back and she takes off stopping about 100yds out for a final look before disappearing over a rise in the ground towards the river.

He lines up on a perfect shoulder shot and fires but as he does the sow moves forward and he hits her in the ribs a bit far back with a 130gn GameKing so that's 2 hit's she has taken and she staggers off into some very thick tall grass.

We get to where the sow was last seen and there's blood everywhere so we went down to the river following the blood trail and it's straight into the long chest high grass.

Our guide goes into the long grass with my .270 and shoots the sow at 5ft with 1 shot and she was woofing and clicking her teeth she was ready to go on the attack even though badly wounded with 2 130gn projectiles in her.

sany0326.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #35

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

That's why I built the 7.62X39 upper for my AR , I'm in hopes of some day going on a hog hunt

Hog Hunting with an AR15, which would you prefer? - Hunting Forum

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-19-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_lousy View Post
I live in Texas and have taken many hogs out with my ar15 in 5.56....the biggest hog I have killed was right at 350 pounds and I killed it with a 22 to the head...if you are looking for a weapon to kill a hog broadside don't go any smaller than a 5.56....but if u are looking for headshots a 22 is fine
I've also taken many a hog with my 5.56. From 5 to 195+. Some run off, some don't. One thing to consider is after emptying a 30 round mag, my ears aren't ringing profusely. Not the case with the larger calibers. Unless you hunt with ear protection.

Steve

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I've also taken many a hog with my 5.56. From 5 to 195+. Some run off, some don't. One thing to consider is after emptying a 30 round mag, my ears aren't ringing profusely. Not the case with the larger calibers. Unless you hunt with ear protection.

Steve
You 'spray and pray' at game animals???????
I have no love for hogs, but I have enough respect for ALL animals not to allow them to 'run away' and die a slow painful death if I can help it!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #38

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The boar I killed with the 22 wmr was 30 yards away. He gave me such a pretty shot right between the eyes I had to take it. How often does that happen? Most of the time all you can see is shadow of the hog/s moving through the brush. Finally one will stop and offer you a shoulder shot. I want at least a 12 ga slug or a rifle that hits harder than a 12 ga slug for that shot.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This may sound funny to you all, but it works for me.
On two occasions while I was hunting in the Bankhead I could hear the hogs and get a glimpse of them in the thick stuff. SO, what I did was simply started smacking my lips like I was eating something in a very impolite way and they ALL stopped dead in their tracks. I waited a few seconds and did it again and in very short order a big hog stuck his head out of the thicket and I punched his ticket!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
You 'spray and pray' at game animals???????
I have no love for hogs, but I have enough respect for ALL animals not to allow them to 'run away' and die a slow painful death if I can help it!
Since you're going to call me out and try to get everyone to join your side, I'll give you the actual story, that's not really any part of the point I was trying to get across. I didn't shoot the full 30 rounds it was 29. Here's the best part, I didn't hit a damn thing.
I have respect for ol' Ma' Nature also my old man made plenty sure of that. Have I shot pigs and they end up running off? Yes I have. Do I keep every hog I shoot? No I don't. Do I go around shooting everything that moves for the hell of it? With the exception of hogs, no I don't. Then again, nothing else damages our crops like hogs do.

Steve